Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:13 PM

9 posts, read 13,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I am not much older than OP and in fact in the past I made similar posts about how I want a "simple life" and not to work hard but I've come to realize to get the things I want (a family, lots of travel etc) I will have to bust my butt for a degree. It's not really that bad, you won't be able to play video games or fap whenever you want and you might be sleep deprived at times but it's not like homework is torture or anything.
that's definitely not the life i want, which s why im never having kids.

i want to work as little as possible and live minimalist, since i wont be tied down by kids and a job i can do whatever i want whenever i want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
What a terribly idiotic plan. Poor guy...all you want to do is be a bum, and you can't even afford that!

Go ahead OP, get a crap job, buy a crap van, and live in it. YOu'll last a month if you're lucky. Where are you going to wash your sheets, take a shower, make a meal, bring a girl, etc?

What pure idiocy. OP, do yourself a favor and don't listen to yourself. Let your parents do the thinking, you'll be much better off, believe me. Go to a technical school and be a MRI tech or something. Stop shrinking from life.

Best of luck.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Only do it when and if you're ready. Trust me on that one.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM

9 posts, read 13,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Only do it when and if you're ready. Trust me on that one.
its getting really unbearable living with my parents, i really want to get away from them as soon as i can

Old 10-30-2014, 05:35 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody23 View Post

i want to work as little as possible and live minimalist, since i wont be tied down by kids and a job i can do whatever i want whenever i want.
You still need money for food, for clothes, for gas/van-repairs/automotive insurance/a new van eventually/somewhere to legally park it or tickets you'll inevitably get otherwise, for hygiene products, for medical expenses when you're older, and so on and so forth.

Having no resources and needing to constantly hussle for your cash needs - even if they are low - isn't whatever you want whenever you want, it's a lot of work.

Some good compromises may be, if you continue to want this long term:

- get a government job
- put in 10 years hard work while living with your parents (if they'll allow) or out in the oilfields to save a few hundred thousand and then buy some properties in an area with good home value to rent ratios and a low cost of living and then rent them out. You get to start life in lazymode at 30 rather than 20 but at least will have a real home and a low but reliable income stream.
- find a job that you can enjoy; you don't have to do blue collar work or office work, you can teach guitar or work as a physical fitness trainer, etc.
- find a girl who is willing to subsidize your lackadaisical lifestyle out of enamorment with your weightlifting, guitar-picking self (I kid, I kid. Sort of).

Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
its getting really unbearable living with my parents, i really want to get away from them as soon as i can
I can't really tell you what to do. Going to college has its ups and downs, and sadly for me that route didn't work out. That's why I stayed home for two extra years thinking I'd never have to go back afterward, and now I'm still working a crap job. In my case, I really wish I hadn't gone to college. Doing so made it harder to get any job because many of them considered me overqualified, and if I had just looked for a job and gotten one, I could've kept doing that. But working "dead-end" jobs also has its drawbacks.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:

Ah living a fantasy. .....get a job ya hippie.

And if do go get a degree, make sure its not a stupid one.

However any degree will get you higher pay automatically!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:09 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
i've been out of high school for about 5 month and didn't want to go to college, i don't want to go into debt and im not good at school/studying in general my HS gpa is like 1.2 so im not really a smart dude.

my parents and everyone are pressuring me to go to college when i don't want to, and im starting to really hate living with them, i asked them to buy me a van that i could live in but they refused so i have to buy my own so i can move out.

the reason i want to live in a van is because the rents in my area are high and i don't want to live with roommates or have to be dependent on a job for a place to live in-case i lose it. i also don't want to have to work a lot, i want to work to live.

the problem is im not really social and don't have any connections to get a job
5 months after graduation and you are stilling hanging around the house watching South Park and without a job? Get with the program! Find a major that interests you and go to college. If you don't want to go to college than get a job and move out on your own already. You don't want to turn into a 30 years old still living at home with your parents without a job. Dude, get busy!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
You're angry with them because it reminds you of how big of a loser you are, and because you are afraid you can't live up to their standards of taking the path that most others your age take. You are scared and ashamed and feel guilt. That infuriates you.

The path your considering is one of checking out of real life (and it's laughably ridiculous and unrealistic). You can't handle it can you. Be a man, not a scared little boy with nothing.

1.nothing gpa. What a disgrace, you should be ashamed of yourself. Pick up the pieces and grow up, you have plenty of living left so stop being so weak. It's incredibly un attractive. Go make something of yourself, it'll make you feel better about you and give you the pride you desperately lack but need.

Best of luck

Edit: it's not the debt you're afraid of, it's not being able to get into a school. And frankly, with that gpa, you're right to be afraid. Who would admit you? How well could you do on the SAT? You still have plenty of good options but you rather choose homelessness. I must say, that's pretty weak and pathetic. Find your pride and learn what it means to be a man (hint: it's about a lot more than having a ding dong. And speaking of ding dongs, where do you plan on taking a dump? That van going to have a crapper?).

Last edited by G-fused; 10-30-2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 07:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I can't really tell you what to do. Going to college has its ups and downs, and sadly for me that route didn't work out. That's why I stayed home for two extra years thinking I'd never have to go back afterward, and now I'm still working a crap job. In my case, I really wish I hadn't gone to college. Doing so made it harder to get any job because many of them considered me overqualified, and if I had just looked for a job and gotten one, I could've kept doing that. But working "dead-end" jobs also has its drawbacks.
I'm sorry but just having a degree does not make anyone overqualified. I don't know your situation but I can pretty much assure you that your degree didn't cause it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment