Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:47 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody23 View Post
if you read what i said that's why im planning to live in a van, so i don't have to work 40 hours or live in a roach infested apartment, i want to work to live not slave away and survive.

but i need a job first to get the van and get away from my parents house which is why im here

Here on this forum? What is being here going to get you? Nothing useful.
You don't want a minimalist lifestyle you want someone else to pay your way through life.
You can't feed, house or cloth yourself playing video games and whatever else it was that you listed.

How do you think you are going to continue to do these things when your parents don't want to support you financially?
It is not legal to live in a van everywhere, a van does not have a fridge, stove, toilet or shower.
You will also need license plates, insurance and gasoline to move said van which will also require other maintenance at some point.
Who is going to pay for all of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Here we go again. First you were MynameisnotPeter, then you signed up as Chris Griffin, now you're Somebody23. How many screen names are you going to come up with?

Same story, 1.2 grade average, no skills, no interests other than living on the computer. Mom & Dad disgusted with you.

Good luck with the van idea, as you have no license due to severe driving anxiety. Maybe you can find someone to tow your van under a bridge and you can try to see how long your minimalist life style lasts there.

I hope you find your way soon. Life is going to chew you up and spit you out if you keep on the way you have. Whining on the internet month after month on mom & dad's' dime, is not going to get you out of the house.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
I thought largely the same way in my younger days. I wasn't really college material though I wasn't dumb by any means. Didn't know exactly what work I wanted to do either. I knew I'd have to get serious "some day". I worked here & there, then did a little community college but lost interest & got no degree, went to work again, etc.

After some years of working steadily at 1 job or another, I discovered that my friends with college degrees were getting far more job offers that I was. It really hit hard during years I did customer service work for a large co that was falling apart. I gained a lot of experience & expertise in problem solving, building business relationships, etc. But it meant little when I had no college degree. I went back to blue collar work which was what I really enjoyed doing better. But now I am older & find it harder to do with an aching body.

Please do yourself a favor and look ahead a few years. Most all of us eventually have to work at something. Don't prepare and you will have very few choices. Go for further schooling while your parents are still offering to pay for it. Get a degree in some field you have talent for. Believe me, this will greatly improve your chances in life.

Even that simple "live in a van" life becomes complicated when winter comes & you have no $ to buy gas to keep the heat going. Then something breaks down & you need $1,000 for repairs, a $100 tire, etc. Where will you shower, pee & poop? Where will you wash clothes? Meals? Eating out of paper bags will get old fast & you will quickly run out of money for fast food. Mom & Dad's? Generous friends? Then your simple life is possible only because of someone else's hard work. Parents will age & pass away down the road. Friends will marry & have families, will not be as generous to let you spend a few days on their couch.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody23 View Post
i've been out of high school for about 5 month and didn't want to go to college, i don't want to go into debt and im not good at school/studying in general my HS gpa is like 1.2 so im not really a smart dude.

my parents and everyone are pressuring me to go to college when i don't want to, and im starting to really hate living with them, i asked them to buy me a van that i could live in but they refused so i have to buy my own so i can move out.

the reason i want to live in a van is because the rents in my area are high and i don't want to live with roommates or have to be dependent on a job for a place to live in-case i lose it. i also don't want to have to work a lot, i want to work to live.

the problem is im not really social and don't have any connections to get a job
Where will you poop and shower?

Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Here we go again. First you were MynameisnotPeter, then you signed up as Chris Griffin, now you're Somebody23. How many screen names are you going to come up with?

Same story, 1.2 grade average, no skills, no interests other than living on the computer. Mom & Dad disgusted with you.

Good luck with the van idea, as you have no license due to severe driving anxiety. Maybe you can find someone to tow your van under a bridge and you can try to see how long your minimalist life style lasts there.

I hope you find your way soon. Life is going to chew you up and spit you out if you keep on the way you have. Whining on the internet month after month on mom & dad's' dime, is not going to get you out of the house.
Oy vey, you are right.

Funny that the driving-phobic dude wants to live in a van!

God, his parents must be mortified at what they created.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 AM

671 posts, read 890,789 times
Maybe your getting the drift here,maybe your not. So I'll try to make it clear for you...
First,your right,your not that smart,in fact your a jerk.
Second, listen to your folks,they have your best interest at heat,and theirs.
third,Start thinking trade school and grow up, or move out and grow up.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
I would recommend going to a community college and studying computer science, IT, or perhaps a skilled trade. You can't make a living working retail or fast food, which are the kinds of jobs you will end up working without some kind of college education or skilled trade.

I used to work in low paying customer service jobs that had little to no benefits, 2nd shifts, third shifts, sometimes double shifts. I made very little money and even with overtime I was very poor. Most of the people I know who don't have an education are struggling. They work multiple part time low paying jobs, day and night, sometimes 6-7 days a week. You have to choose the kind of life you want. Whether it's a comfortable life of financial security and living in a nice area, or living a miserable poverty lifestyle in a lousy area. The choice is yours.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:15 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Holy Mother of God, a 1.2 average?!

When I was in highschool, I did so well that I only had two/three classes in my senior year to finish and had advancement placement.

No way in hell you're getting into college, let alone military with that average.

Even if you decided to live in a van, you still have to pay for food, clothing, and gas.

Go learn a trade and get a job. Living on the streets is even worse than living with parents. Help them with the bills and house chores.

They'll appreciate it.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
what on earth is a "carefree life"?

what was your childhood like where you feel/want to do absolutely nothing by choice

i assume your parents were well off and until this point you never starved or had to worry about anything, its the only possible explanation for your attitude

Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
I weep for the future. . . .still, it's your life! Get what little you need/want on your own, then execute the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment