Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Seriously in need of some help.

I have two opportunities in front of me...

(1) Jr. Software engineer
Pay: $45k + 10% yearly bonus
Extra Benefits: Tuition Reimbursement, 3 weeks paid leave

(2) Technology trainer (university)
Pay: ~$58K
Extra Benefits: Tuition Reimbursement, 2 weeks paid leave, 1 week paid winter break

The software engineer position is the one that peaks my interest the most. That is the field that I originally planned on entering before deciding to teach.

However, the technical training job is in a city(Chicago) that I have always wanted to live in and is within driving distance where I could visit my family once every three months.

I could easily work both jobs for the next 5+ years and feel like I am actually challenged and growing.

More interested in software engineer gig, but Chicago location has me wanting to take the second gig.

Would love to hear you insight on which job you think would be best for long term success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
I'd take the Chicago training job, software skills go obsolete quickly. Get a cheap apartment and save and invest as much as you can, basically act as if the Chicago job paid the same as the Dallas job and save/invest the difference in low cost index ETFs.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:22 AM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
I think you have answered your own question - move to Chicago!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,247 times
#2 because university benefits are incredible. I was a university employee for 5 years, and while the pay was terrible and there was no room for advancement, I was always thrilled about the benefits.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
I'd also say Chicago. Training skills will look great on a resume and Chicago is a major tech hub, you can easily find a software engineering job here if you want that pays significantly better than the one in Houston.

Also, having moved from Texas to Chicago myself, I would never take a job in Houston. Texas is fine, and I wouldn't mind moving to the Austin area or even Dallas, but not Houston. And none of the cities compare to Chicago.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 AM

514 posts, read 764,689 times

that's a really crappy salary for a software engineer, especially in houston

Old 11-19-2014, 11:43 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Appreciate input.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
I vote the Software Engineer position because it sounds like the career path you want to take. You can always get to Chicago in 1-3 years with another similar position once you gain some experience. And then you'll jump to higher pay at that time too.

Also, IMO, more and more technical training is done via webinars. There're not that many trainer jobs these days(compared to 5 or 10 years ago) because of that. Trainers these days record their courses and then the same course is replayed thousands of times via web for many students. This is just going to increase.

I think over time there will be many more open positions for Sofware Engineer versus Techical Trainer. You should check the labor statistics for number of positions for each now.

You can always get to Chicago. But you won't always have the fork in your career path that allows you to choose between becoming a Software Engineer and a Technical Trainer.

Good luck. Also - Chicago can be very cold and windy. I lived there many years and will never go back. Though the pizza and beef sandwiches and hot dogs are awesome.

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-19-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 12:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Salary is important, but also look at

-long term job growth - software engineering is growing much faster than average and is projected to continue
-long term average salary - software engineering is low $100s
-which career path has the most opportunity/openings or mobility to start over if things go bad

I am in a Houston suburb. I know development people who moved into oil and gas and are doing well $$$. Chicago has much more to offer as a city than Houston, but in Houston you could easily afford a house on the water, a boat, and a 4x4 truck (it's Texas after all) with a software engineer salary.

Although I do agree that a university gig would be immensely appealing to somebody that enjoys being in an environment filled with continuous learning. If you are a software engineer or developer of any kind, you would probably understand. That's the wild card there.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 PM

266 posts, read 285,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post

that's a really crappy salary for a software engineer, especially in houston
yeah, there's a lot more growth potential money wise for #1 than #2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment