Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

I also know an occupational nurse who works for a major oil company bringing in $85K. That's not bad scratch.
Those kind of nursing jobs are hard to come by because they pay well...so the people tend to stay in those positions! If you find one, try to get it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,127 times
well i am a man and i work off shore but am thinking of making the transition to lvn or rn nursing school i make 70 a year now but am getting burned out will i make around the same if i change careers

Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,998 times
I wonder if the nurses in this thread are also getting bonuses like other professionals get in large fortune 500 companies? Or is it salary only?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I wonder if the nurses in this thread are also getting bonuses like other professionals get in large fortune 500 companies? Or is it salary only?
The bonuses that are provided where I worked (I have since become a Stay at home since I last posted in this thread) revolved around meeting certain goals. I worked in the largest pediatric hospital in Texas, on one of the largest in the nation. If we got 75% of the goal, the x% of the bonus, 85%, 90%, etc. 100% = total payout. And total payout was still only a few hundred dollars.

Versus my husband's bonus which can equal some people's yearly salary most years - he works in the oil industry.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Don't they get lot of overtime and sometimes have to stay in the hospital for a few days? Some nurses makes more then Doctors right?

How hard is the nursing program? Can you become a nurse by any certs?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Don't they get lot of overtime and sometimes have to stay in the hospital for a few days? Some nurses makes more then Doctors right?

How hard is the nursing program? Can you become a nurse by any certs?
Nurses can get overtime if they want. If the work 4 12's in a week - they get some overtime. Working nights pays well too, and weekends, and holidays. But of course there are downsides to working those hours. It's not all about the money. If you make it so, then you will have a very depressing career as a nurse.

I don't know what doctors make. I don't know what all nurses make. I'm sure there are some nurses that make more than doctors somewhere. Nurse Anesthatists start out of school making 6 digits easy. But the schooling is quite difficult.

I am not sure you can get certifications for nursing anymore. They used to have programs around that did that. But if you really want to become a nurse, then going to a regular, accredited school and getting your BSN is the way to go. Many hospitals are moving in the direction of hiring BSNs over others (ADN, LVN, etc). Where I worked, they were making it mandatory for those with ADN degrees to go back to school to get at least a BSN. They were helping with tuition, etc...but the point is, they still were requiring BSNs.

There are good bridge programs for people with ADN degrees to go back to school and come out with their Master's. Those are very worth while too.

I can't tell you how hard nursing school is per se. I found it to be VERY difficult. But I studied my @ss off, and came out with honors and a 3.5 GPA. I have a very good friend who breezed through it. He also breezed through the Nurse Anesthatist program, but he's also one of the smartest people I know (he also has his Chemical Engineering degree). But in general, I think a lot of people find it quite difficult.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
3.5 years old thread...

Old 09-04-2011, 06:49 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
3.5 years old thread...
Amen!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM

222 posts, read 418,073 times
My wife is actively thinking of pursuing a 2 year course in nursing to enable her to get nursing jobs. She has a 4 year BS in Nutrition (good GPA) but lack of good employment opportunities in that field have forced her to look elsewhere.

Can anyone advise on "good" nursing schools in the Houston/Sugar Land area for a 2 year program? We are just starting off to try and get educated in this matter. Thanks !

Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,845 times
Yup. Be a health care provider JUST for the money. You'll be an awesome nurse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment