Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:12 AM

164 posts, read 267,346 times

Advertisements

Basically while I'm at work my boss never asks to use my computer or even brings it up. Well last week when I returned to work, I noticed he had signed into my laptop for some reason under his account on our network, but he never mentioned anything to me. Therefore, this week I placed a password on the computer where once it is powered on, you're prompted for it. Checked my email from house and he sent an email saying "If you have a password on your computer, remove it NOW".

Seems suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,866,270 times
In my opinion:

For the past few years, he's been operating a mobile meth lab in a converted RV. For a time, this just generated some side money and it flew under the radar. However, he was pressured into also using this RV to aid in a human smuggling ring by the cartel he unknowingly crossed with his manufacturing business. As his true identity is unknown to the cartel, he's been working on a nefarious plan to exit both illegal businesses and frame someone else - that someone else is you!

I'd advise breaking into his house and waiting for him in a dimly lit room with a paintball gun you're trying to pass off as the real thing and blackmailing him into continuing his meth business with you as a silent 50% partner in the profits.

Or, he could be just installing some new software or checking up on Internet activity. It's a work computer, and not your property. If you're really that curious, why don't you ask him what you can do to help?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:57 AM

777 posts, read 1,878,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
Basically while I'm at work my boss never asks to use my computer or even brings it up.
Is it your personal computer? If so, then you have the right to password-protect it. Is it your employer's computer? If so, among other things, you have no right to password-protect it.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:22 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,692,995 times
Quote:
Basically while I'm at work my boss never asks to use my computer or even brings it up. Well last week when I returned to work, I noticed he had signed into my laptop for some reason under his account on our network, but he never mentioned anything to me. Therefore, this week I placed a password on the computer where once it is powered on, you're prompted for it. Checked my email from house and he sent an email saying "If you have a password on your computer, remove it NOW".

Seems suspicious.
Whether it's your computer or not, password protecting it so someone cannot log on using their name and password is wrong if it's to be used as a work computer on their network. You would not want someone using it while you are logged in, and you wouldn't want someone logging in under your name and password. But I don't see what the issue is with your manager using your computer. Maybe he was working at your desk while you were gone.

You do know when someone logs in using their own information they see nothing you've done, right? But even if they could, that shouldn't be an issue if it's a work computer. The reason you wouldn't want anyone using your computer under your name is to protect you from nuts who could do all kinds of things and make it look like you did them.

So why is this bothering you?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,176,996 times
Quote:

Seems suspicious.
That's what the boss said!

Better remove that password ASAP.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,609,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
In my opinion:

For the past few years, he's been operating a mobile meth lab in a converted RV. For a time, this just generated some side money and it flew under the radar. However, he was pressured into also using this RV to aid in a human smuggling ring by the cartel he unknowingly crossed with his manufacturing business. As his true identity is unknown to the cartel, he's been working on a nefarious plan to exit both illegal businesses and frame someone else - that someone else is you!

I'd advise breaking into his house and waiting for him in a dimly lit room with a paintball gun you're trying to pass off as the real thing and blackmailing him into continuing his meth business with you as a silent 50% partner in the profits.

Or, he could be just installing some new software or checking up on Internet activity. It's a work computer, and not your property. If you're really that curious, why don't you ask him what you can do to help?
This is the funniest post I've seen in a long time!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:20 AM

532 posts, read 961,229 times
I think this is odd for the opposite reason -- where I work all of the computers are password protected and the password has to be changed every 90 days, and yes, they are all company owned computers.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 AM

164 posts, read 267,346 times
The reason I put a password on it is because random people come up to our office every now and in the event it was stolen, there would be a small barrier in place.

UPDATE: I show up to work today, my laptop is missing. However, on my desk is a note which states "Hello, ___ currently has your laptop. Please feel free to use this machine(old desktop) in the meantime". And this note was left by one of my co-workers.

I've received no phone call or email from my manager. I will be bringing this up with his boss or HR.

He's been holding a grudge since I went to HR about getting not reimbursed for traveling between offices and they found out he was running a scam to cheat the company.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
The reason I put a password on it is because random people come up to our office every now and in the event it was stolen, there would be a small barrier in place.

UPDATE: I show up to work today, my laptop is missing. However, on my desk is a note which states "Hello, ___ currently has your laptop. Please feel free to use this machine(old desktop) in the meantime". And this note was left by one of my co-workers.

I've received no phone call or email from my manager. I will be bringing this up with his boss or HR.

He's been holding a grudge since I went to HR about getting not reimbursed for traveling between offices and they found out he was running a scam to cheat the company.

I.T. probably has your laptop and they're combing through it trying to figure out what you're doing that you felt a need to password protect it so nobody could get onto the network.

If your manager was really running a scam to cheat the company, don't you think he would have been fired?

And speaking of being fired, you're heading in that direction, so I hope you're resume is updated and you're already looking for a job.

Going over your managers head = job suicide. Making the choice of being a problem employee is never wise.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:

I'm still laughing about this. I'm guessing you're 23 - 27 years old. Am I right?

Please keep us posted as to what happens when you take this issue up with your manager's boss or HR. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't wait to hear what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment