Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which job type do you prefer?
Job A 35 72.92%
Job B 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:48 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,055,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
A lot will depend on your financial needs and the lifestyle that you desire. I would prefer a low stress job, so, all other things being equal, I would prefer Job A. Have you tried to see if Job A could offer you a higher salary? It's unlikely that they would offer you as much as Job B, but they might be able to offer you more if they really want you and know that you have another offer. A less likely scenario would be Job B offering you more vacation time, especially if it's a higher stress job. Failing either of those options, if you prefer the low stress and extra time off that Job A offers, are you able to live on $65,000? If so, ten go with Job A. Otherwise, you may be stuck with Job B. Are you young and single and supporting only yourself? Or are you older and supporting a family?

Also, are you somebody who travels a lot and/or has family that lives far away that would make the extra vacation time that Job A offers to be valuable? And, whichever holidays Job A offers that B does not: are those holidays important to you?

One other factor would be the commute from where you live. Which job has a shorter commute? In my opinion, that is even more important in determining quality of life than the vacation time or holidays would be. Remember, you have to commute to work every day that you are working, whereas vacation days and holidays are a relatively small number of days per year.

Also, what is your overall opinion of the two companies? It sounds to me like Job B is not very employee friendly: they only close for the 6 major holidays per year (sounds like not even the Friday after Thanksgiving, which I'd see as a red flag), they offer a very minimal amount of vacation time, and only 3 sick days per year. My current job gives no sick time at all, but they are generous with vacation time, personal time, and paid holidays, so it's not the end of the world if I have to waste a vacation or personal day when I'm sick, but in your case, with Job B, with very minimal vacation time and holidays, 3 sick days per year sounds very low. I'd be concerned about how they treat employees in general. It does not sound like a company that values work-life balance, if that's what you're into.

Furthermore, is your overall goal to find a work-life balance, or to climb the corporate ladder?

Again, which choice you make really depends on a lot of factors which we don't know about: does the local cost of living and your lifestyle allow you to live on $65,000 per year? Can you negotiate more money from Job A? Are you single or are you supporting a family? Do you travel a lot? Do you have out of town relatives? How old are you? How important are the holidays that only Job A offers? Which job has a shorter commute? Which company do you have a better overall opinion of? Are you looking for work-life balance, or to climb the corporate ladder? How important is the low stress of Job A, independent of other factors? Only you can answer those questions.
A few other things to look at: do these jobs pay a straight salary? Or do you get time and a half if you work over 40 hours per week? Or do you at least get paid straight time above 40 hours per week? Or, do you get comp time if you work more than 40 hours per week? Does either job pay you for unused vacation time? All of these can make a big difference as far as how much money you make. What I am getting at is, can you maybe take Job A, and perhaps not use all of your vacation time (but still more than Job B would give you) and perhaps work some overtime, and get your pay closer to Job B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,593 posts, read 81,279,384 times
I couldn't make it here on $65,000. Regardless of the difference in benefits and stress I wouldn't leave my job unless it was for a substantial increase (neither was not an option in the poll). If I was still looking for a job I would still go for B unless I moved to a much less expensive area.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,922,663 times
Even if you don't need the money it sounds like job B is best those other factors don't make up for the lower salary, unless you highly value your leisure time. But if job A had other benefits, like job security, closer to home or some other factors that might throw the choice.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,285,265 times
A.

I highly value my leisure time.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM

351 posts, read 492,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
What would you pick?

Job A - $65,000 with 5 weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, unlimited sick days, 35-40 hour work week, low/no stress job.

Job B - $90,000 with 2 weeks of paid vacation, 6 paid holidays, 3 sick days, 40-50 hour work week, medium-high stress job and pressure.
I think it depends on where you are in life. If I were young and just starting out with aspirations of career growth and money, I'd choose Job B. If I were looking for balance in my life either because I was financially set or had a 2 income family, then I would choose Job A.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,760,041 times
Need much more information. Cost of living, debt, children, point you are in your life etc.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
What would you pick?

Job A - $65,000 with 5 weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, unlimited sick days, 35-40 hour work week, low/no stress job.

Job B - $90,000 with 2 weeks of paid vacation, 6 paid holidays, 3 sick days, 40-50 hour work week, medium-high stress job and pressure.
"low/no stress" job means no real responsibility, no challenges, no real opportunity for greatness. A banal workplace that leads to boredom on the job. Honestly, if the salaries were both $65K, I would choose Job B.

I would so much rather be in a job where my input REALLY made a difference and mattered. When what I do matters and is important, I am never counting the hours.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:49 PM

527 posts, read 709,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"low/no stress" job means no real responsibility, no challenges, no real opportunity for greatness. A banal workplace that leads to boredom on the job. Honestly, if the salaries were both $65K, I would choose Job B.

I would so much rather be in a job where my input REALLY made a difference and mattered. When what I do matters and is important, I am never counting the hours.
You truly belongs to Asia and 3rd world countries (America is turning into one if it hasn't already).

Which mentally healthy human being would want to work harder, be more stressed, having less leisure time, etc. for same salary?!

I can't believe people like you truly exist.. I hope you don't say this to people in real life

Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
You truly belongs to Asia and 3rd world countries (America is turning into one if it hasn't already).

Which mentally healthy human being would want to work harder, be more stressed, having less leisure time, etc. for same salary?!

I can't believe people like you truly exist.. I hope you don't say this to people in real life
I can't believe people would want to spend ANY portion of their day with a monotonous job.

Look, there are those who are successful, and those that are not.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 PM

527 posts, read 709,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I can't believe people would want to spend ANY portion of their day with a monotonous job.

Look, there are those who are successful, and those that are not.
You realize people have a life and other things to do besides and outside of work?!

Successful people are not always the hardest workers; indeed it's sometimes by luck as well and the environment you grew up in, your education and work opportunities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment