Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:42 AM

639 posts, read 1,072,581 times

Advertisements

If you can't interview from Jan to Apr, why even bother to apply?

If you were able to interview, what you could do is use a friend's address or even a PO Box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
This thread is more of a list of excuses why you don't want to put in the extra work and why you can't make it work rather than why anyone would hire you from another state. I've been hired in other states a few times with minimal effort on my part.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Then how would I explain the fact that ALL of my jobs were nonlocal to the area? The background address check is only going to show all of my CT addresses.
Duh! Tell then you relocated.

Your above post about getting a permanent address/12 month lease and paying all 12 months up-front is not wise. You should store your belongings in a storage unit in CT. Then go to the new location and get a suite/hotel (with full kitchen). Use that as your address as needed or get a local PO Box from a UPS store near there while you job search. They give you a local address to use. Then job search for 2 months in that location and also search all cities within 5 hours of that area. If you find that you like to area enough to stick around, continue with the job search. Else move to a diff city where you think opportunities might be better. Then so the same thing in the new city.

You can get local phone numbers by buying a no-contract cell phone (aka prepaid) at the local best buy or walmart. You prepay the minutes. You can do this online too and get a local number now in the city you are interested in.

Who cares if they aren't paying relocation. Don't ask for it. Tell them you are already planning to move there and you pay for relocation. Sell your furniture if needed and buy new furniture when you move. Just don't get super expensive stuff...you can buy nice used furniture with Craigslist and resale stores these days. It will cost less then moving the furniture long distance. Just keep the stuff that's important to you.

BTW - you sound very negative/down in your posts. You must be careful about having this same attitude during interview discussions. It will gurantee you failure. Just try to pep up a bit for interviews - even the quick chat phone screens.

I quit my job and moved to a new location. Then started looking for jobs in the new location. They saw the prior jobs in the other state and it was obvious to all that I relocated to the new area. I don't even think they asked why. Lots of people relocate. It's no big deal.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Most jobs applications or recruiters do NOT ask for a cover letter. However, when one is asked for, I will submit one about 50% of the time. Every job I have ever gotten did NOT require or even ask for a cover letter.

Even if it's not required...it's an extra tool you can use to your advantage. Maybe all these jobs that never called you recently...maybe if you would have put together a few sentences in a cover letter to tell them you are relocating to their city and will pay your own moving expenses and also a quick summary of your skills/experience.... Likely you would have received more calls.

You should ALWAYS, 100% of the time, submit a cover letter. And customize it for each job. Mine are typically 2 short paragraphs and they take 5 minutes to create.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They don't ask for a cover letter because it's assumed you know you should send a cover letter.

And if you're only sending one half the time when they request one, you're just being lazy. I would automatically disqualify you on that alone.

No cover letter = incomplete application = circular file

Old 12-22-2014, 08:28 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
For five months now, I have applied to 58 jobs, 45 of which were out of state. I landed two interviews, BOTH of which were in state. How ridiculous is that? Both companies I interviewed for in-state found me to be a very favorable candidate and were asking for second interviews or even proposed an offer, despite having a choppy resume history over the past 8 years (job hopping). I think its safe to say now that the main reason why I can't get a job out of state is none other than because I'm not a local candidate. Not because I have a choppy resume.

My recruiter told me that it's in my best interest to change jobs within the next year, in order to save my career from becoming too narrow/administrative. She said that if I stay with my current job for another few years, I could become nearly unemployable. She said I would be better off changing jobs again, if it means keeping my career on a healthy track, with more core technical work that the profession values as a whole. The work I'm doing right now is very company specific and not applicable to most other companies. It's too narrow, too easy and not stimulating enough. It is retarding my career.

So here's my dilemma. I'm very eager to move out of the area I currently live in. But I give up on the whole "find a job first before moving to _____ " deal. I also noticed that about 97% of the job postings in my field, across the nation do NOT offer relocation. And the few companies who did call me back for a phone interview, didn't want to proceed with me any further, even though the phone interviews went very well. They simply led to nothing.

I can understand why an employer would be hesitant to hire someone from far away. Chances are they already have a sufficient pool of candidates who are locally residing in the area already. And of course, paying for relocation expenses isn't something they typically want to do. I mean, if I was an employer, I would focus on local applicants myself, unless a nonlocal applicant had a VERY good resume/background that was unbeatable or something.

I am now convinced that the only way to get a job in a new area, in my profession (corporate tax accounting) is to MOVE there first, that way, I become a local candidate. Obviously, I would have to explain why all of my previous jobs were not local to the area. But I guess there's always going to be an element of risk with doing this. So, I'm thinking to just wait until March to collect my $15,000 bonus ($9K after taxes) and expected pay raise, then take off by the end of May and move into a permanent address and offer to pay the full 12-month lease in lump sum. I hope landlords will accept that. I will have over $70,000 in cash saved up by then.

I don't know....what are your thoughts? It has become quite apparent to me that most companies don't want to do relo for staff level employees.
You need to stay where you are and get more experience. We've told you that untold number of times. Nobody is going to hire anyone that bounces around from state to state with no apparent anchor anywhere. They don't want to train someone who they know is going to suddenly feel the need to move yet again.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Then how would I explain the fact that ALL of my jobs were nonlocal to the area? The background address check is only going to show all of my CT addresses.

Anyway, over the next four months, I'm not allowed to take any PTO days, which really sucks. As a corporate tax accountant, we're simply going to be too busy to take time off.
You're certifiably nuts if you think a background check will only show your CT addresses. Your moving around is what is screwing you over, hence: you are screwing yourself.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Umm...so now I have to hide the details of my finances, just because it might offend someone? Please. There are people in this forum who have much, much more money than I have. I don't mind it.

You're basically telling me to not reveal how much money I will have, even though it could impact the advice given in this forum, regarding a move with no job lined up. If I said I will only have $1,000 saved up, then what would your advice me? See my point?
How much money you have has no bearing on where you should live; the point is you should stay where you are.

And people on this forum make much, much more than you, yes, including myself, but you don't see me posting numbers.

I think you need to see a psychologist about your need to relocate places all the time.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You need to stay where you are and get more experience. We've told you that untold number of times. Nobody is going to hire anyone that bounces around from state to state with no apparent anchor anywhere. They don't want to train someone who they know is going to suddenly feel the need to move yet again.
1. Staying in my current job is harming my career though. It's an "easy," administrative job that doesn't really develop my technical skills much at all. Recruiters are telling me to LEAVE as soon as possible and that if I stay here for years, it will make me unemployable. They say I would be better off changing jobs and getting my career back on track.

2. I have never ever needed a cover letter in my career, and never landed a job that required one. I have NEVER even once had a recruiter ask for a cover letter, either. And nearly 50% of all job applications online don't even ask for one. I do have one, however, and the way it's written would apply to virtually any job I apply for.

3. I am a corporate tax accountant, not a seasonal tax preparer with clients. Therefore, the traditional "busy season" deadline of April 15th doesn't apply to me. The reason why we are busy the next four months is because of year-end close responsibilities (10-K reporting, PFIC, VAT returns, etc.).

4. You're absolutely right that I shouldn't even bother applying to jobs for the next 3 months. I won't even be able to take any days off to travel for interviews. Besides, my bonus is payable in March anyway, so it would be nice to take it.

5. Posting dollar numbers on this forum matters, because moving and living with no job is a pretty damn big deal. A person with $70K versus a person with $2K or $300K speaks volumes as to the risk and opportunity that comes along with it.

6. Why should I continue living in an area that I don't like?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
I do not think renting an apartment with a lease is wise for you. Each states has its own way of doing things. 70k is nice if you have a job. However, it can evaporate rather quickly if you do not. I've already done the relocation thing and I lost a great deal of money. Unless you are moving for a specific reason, I would try to secure some sort of income before moving.Perhaps you should sign up with a temp agency until you figure things out. Virginia does not strike me as a low cost state. Have you created a budget? How much of your savings will go towards the year of rent that you plan to pay upfront? food? transportation? Are willing to take any job? commuting? cost of downpayment to purchase a home? The more you have, the more you have to lose. It is not always easy to rebuild. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment