Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times

Advertisements

For five months now, I have applied to 58 jobs, 45 of which were out of state. I landed two interviews, BOTH of which were in state. How ridiculous is that? Both companies I interviewed for in-state found me to be a very favorable candidate and were asking for second interviews or even proposed an offer, despite having a choppy resume history over the past 8 years (job hopping). I think its safe to say now that the main reason why I can't get a job out of state is none other than because I'm not a local candidate. Not because I have a choppy resume.

My recruiter told me that it's in my best interest to change jobs within the next year, in order to save my career from becoming too narrow/administrative. She said that if I stay with my current job for another few years, I could become nearly unemployable. She said I would be better off changing jobs again, if it means keeping my career on a healthy track, with more core technical work that the profession values as a whole. The work I'm doing right now is very company specific and not applicable to most other companies. It's too narrow, too easy and not stimulating enough. It is retarding my career.

So here's my dilemma. I'm very eager to move out of the area I currently live in. But I give up on the whole "find a job first before moving to _____ " deal. I also noticed that about 97% of the job postings in my field, across the nation do NOT offer relocation. And the few companies who did call me back for a phone interview, didn't want to proceed with me any further, even though the phone interviews went very well. They simply led to nothing.

I can understand why an employer would be hesitant to hire someone from far away. Chances are they already have a sufficient pool of candidates who are locally residing in the area already. And of course, paying for relocation expenses isn't something they typically want to do. I mean, if I was an employer, I would focus on local applicants myself, unless a nonlocal applicant had a VERY good resume/background that was unbeatable or something.

I am now convinced that the only way to get a job in a new area, in my profession (corporate tax accounting) is to MOVE there first, that way, I become a local candidate. Obviously, I would have to explain why all of my previous jobs were not local to the area. But I guess there's always going to be an element of risk with doing this. So, I'm thinking to just wait until March to collect my $15,000 bonus ($9K after taxes) and expected pay raise, then take off by the end of May and move into a permanent address and offer to pay the full 12-month lease in lump sum. I hope landlords will accept that. I will have over $70,000 in cash saved up by then.

I don't know....what are your thoughts? It has become quite apparent to me that most companies don't want to do relo for staff level employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
If I was currently not working, I would take my address off the resume and cover letter leaving name, phone and email address only, and if the interview is immediate, like the next day, I would ask if I could interview two days out to give myself enough travel time. And I would not mention my location at all.

If you've already done those things, I have no additional ideas.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If I was currently not working, I would take my address off the resume and cover letter leaving name, phone and email address only, and if the interview is immediate, like the next day, I would ask if I could interview two days out to give myself enough travel time. And I would not mention my location at all.

If you've already done those things, I have no additional ideas.
Then how would I explain the fact that ALL of my jobs were nonlocal to the area? The background address check is only going to show all of my CT addresses.

Anyway, over the next four months, I'm not allowed to take any PTO days, which really sucks. As a corporate tax accountant, we're simply going to be too busy to take time off.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
nep321, What happened to the Waterbury, Ct offer? Not taking it? Or did they fail to offer?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
nep321, What happened to the Waterbury, Ct offer? Not taking it? Or did they fail to offer?
They still didn't make a formal offer in writing or anything. This leads me to believe that they will hold off or rescind the offer. I don't want it anyway.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
BTW, My current job is located 850 miles from where I lived previously, and I landed the job, then moved. While I was reimbursed for it, I would have taken it even if I had to pay for my own relo.

My ex employer often hired folks from 500-2,000 miles away.

The key thing is, though, you need to be able to show them you are there for the long-term, with true reasons to wish to be making the move.

I think that is your problem..5 moves in 8 years will look flighty combined with a desire to relo again..after what..18 months or so at a job?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
BTW, My current job is located 850 miles from where I lived previously, and I landed the job, then moved. While I was reimbursed for it, I would have taken it even if I had to pay for my own relo.

My ex employer often hired folks from 500-2,000 miles away.

The key thing is, though, you need to be able to show them you are there for the long-term, with true reasons to wish to be making the move.

I think that is your problem..5 moves in 8 years will look flighty combined with a desire to relo again..after what..18 months or so at a job?
I don't know. Certainly, I've made some less-than-ideal decisions with relocation and jobs, etc. But one thing is certain. I will NOT stay here in Fairfield County for much longer. Life is too short to live somewhere you don't like. And 2 years will be enough for me.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
When I looked for a job out of state, I put on my cover letter I was relocating to the area. It worked. Is your career field employable?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
When I looked for a job out of state, I put on my cover letter I was relocating to the area. It worked. Is your career field employable?
We don't use cover letters in my career field. But on my resume, I put "Able to Relocate" underneath my address. Maybe I should have changed it to "Relocating to ______."

My career field is in accounting. There are many metropolitan areas all over the country that have plenty of jobs in my field.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I think with the money you have saved and your field you should be good. Keep applying, you never know! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment