Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not think renting an apartment with a lease is wise for you. Each states has its own way of doing things. 70k is nice if you have a job. However, it can evaporate rather quickly if you do not. I've already done the relocation thing and I lost a great deal of money. Unless you are moving for a specific reason, I would try to secure some sort of income before moving.Perhaps you should sign up with a temp agency until you figure things out. Virginia does not strike me as a low cost state. Have you created a budget? How much of your savings will go towards the year of rent that you plan to pay upfront? food? transportation? Are willing to take any job? commuting? cost of downpayment to purchase a home? The more you have, the more you have to lose. It is not always easy to rebuild. Good luck!
Yes, I have already taken all of that into consideration, down to the dollar. I could live for an entire year on $25K with no job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes, I have already taken all of that into consideration, down to the dollar. I could live for an entire year on $25K with no job.
So why bother asking the question here? It sounds like you know already you can live for almost 3 years with no job.

If you can't find one in 3 years then something is definitely wrong.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:

6. Why should i continue living in an area that i don't like?
Because nobody is going to hire a transient -- and that is what you are.

You appear not to be happy anywhere. You need to get some professional help on that.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
I also noticed that about 97% of the job postings in my field, across the nation do NOT offer relocation. And the few companies who did call me back for a phone interview, didn't want to proceed with me any further, even though the phone interviews went very well. They simply led to nothing.

I don't know....what are your thoughts? It has become quite apparent to me that most companies don't want to do relo for staff level employees.
I find that this is often true, unless the move is internal within the company, and even then, not always.

I also think that from a purely practical perspective, many companies offer a position to someone out of state, and then the person can't follow through: "My wife doesn't want to." "It will be too hard on the kids." Etc...

Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 AM

639 posts, read 1,072,581 times
You might want to ask why you keep moving to places you are dissatisfied with. It sounds like you are continuing with this behavior and if you get a job you might just end out in the same situation you are in now in a few months. Are the new locations really any better?

You said you can't take a day off to interview through April. Why on earth are you asking about these things now? For future reference?

I have gotten positions out of town in the past. The key is to have local contact information and a willingness to pay to fly/drive out for an interview at your own expense. If you know someone in the new area, use his mailing address and your phone number. Otherwise, you could get a local PO Box remotely for like a month. It's not too hard.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:18 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because nobody is going to hire a transient -- and that is what you are.

You appear not to be happy anywhere. You need to get some professional help on that.
If someone wants to be a transient, they have the right to be. If the employer doesn't want to hire him on the account of that, fine, but I wouldn't stay in an area I hate just because someone may view me as a transient.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
You should apply for contract( aka temp) jobs. Often these are 3 or 6 or 12 month temp jobs in specific areas. Sometimes the temp firm will pay for your hotel/expenses in the temporary location. Then you will gain experience in the new location.

When the temp job is over can apply to other employers in that new city. You can even negotiate with the temp firm and tell them you can pay your own food expenses and they only cover your hotel. This might make the situation more lucrative for the temp firm. Sometimes they dont pay for your hotel but will pay you "per diem" which means part of yoru pay is tax free for a set amt per day. Because of this tax free Per Diem money, it will help you afford a hotel.

At least with this option you get a starter job in the new city.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If someone wants to be a transient, they have the right to be. If the employer doesn't want to hire him on the account of that, fine, but I wouldn't stay in an area I hate just because someone may view me as a transient.
Of course there is nothing wrong with being a transient, but don't complain about not being able to find a job when your background shows how often you leave jobs and pick up and move for no reason.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Umm...so now I have to hide the details of my finances, just because it might offend someone? Please. There are people in this forum who have much, much more money than I have. I don't mind it.

You're basically telling me to not reveal how much money I will have, even though it could impact the advice given in this forum, regarding a move with no job lined up. If I said I will only have $1,000 saved up, then what would your advice me? See my point?

You're young and will figure it out, but to give you a hint you could have mentioned it once instead of three times. It's nobody's business what you make, you could have simply said, "I have enough money to live without a job for X number of years."

And yes, many of us make much, much more but we feel it's nobody's business and would be tacky to mention.

I do agree with those who say it's really a thread complaining about your situation rather than asking for advice. You've posted before about wanting to relocate and not wanting to say you have friends or relatives there. You knew what you were up against at that time, it seems.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:11 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
People on here think that I'm bouncing around all over the country. This is not true. My entire life has been contained in the 100-mile corridor between northern CT and NYC. The same bubble, really.

If the job hopping is such a problem, then how come I still get phone interviews and real interviews? And continuous interest from recruiters/LinkedIn, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment