Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,744,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas185 View Post
Go to school and study something that you know will make you tons of money and then save your passion as a hobby until you earn enough money to do whatever you want. Also, stay working in one specific career field and try not to venture into different areas.
Which is the case why most graduates today are unemployed or underemployed. Since their major or industry has changed and is taken over by 3rd world country. You can't predict the future but you can't expect your industry to be ironclad safe from outsourcing or automation.

I would recommend not to major a specialized major or industry until you are done with 2nd yr. Finish all your liberal arts stuff and even add in project management and then decide what major would be in demand. You can always take training courses on specialized fields but don't waste your time on the get go.

Lots folks go for cool majors only to find out after they graduate, companies pay minimum wage for their major.

Don't forget to always vote, participate in the election process. Your local congressman and senator is just as important as voting for the president. We have a government that only listens to big businesses regardless of their party affiliation. It's 2 different face, same animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiLynn248 View Post
For all of you 25 and older. What would you tell your 25 year old self about employment, workforce or just life in general?
Nothing. I wouldn't have listened, and most here don't either.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 PM

772 posts, read 915,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Nothing. I wouldn't have listened, and most here don't either.

Agreed. I was given good advise, but didn't listen anyway .

Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,507 times
Great to read this, its amazing how we make our own limitations, i am of the belief that if you succeed its because you worked for it no matter how old or young you are.

Not sure why people think you need to have your life on track by 16 o else.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:48 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was 25 three years ago.

I was looking at moving out of rural TN and working in rural VA at the time and I joined these boards that year, but didn't post much. I started gathering information on best places to move to, looking at the metrics of it all (income, UE rates, COL, etc) and came up with Iowa. I hit the metrics part right on the head, but didn't realize if you despise your job and environment, you're not going to be very happy no matter what the numbers say.

I took the job offer in IA at 25 and I wish I never moved there. I would have just stayed where I was until I found either a better job (that wasn't on the phone) or a better location. I hadn't done much traveling by then and really didn't know where I wanted to go. I only started traveling after I moved and got a better idea of what I liked and didn't like. I've been to pretty much every Midwestern state (save ND), all of the South, and all of the northeast. I would much, much rather be in the South or northeast than the Midwest.

Given the knowledge and options I had at the time, I am not sure better decisions could have been made.
Off topic, but I grew up in MN, and we used to say: "What's the best thing to come out of Iowa? I-35!

State rivalaries, you know...

Old 01-22-2015, 12:49 PM

15 posts, read 27,078 times
See, what you would tell yourself is indicative also of where your own shortcomings might lie. Keep that in mind. All the people who are giving advice about saving money, saving money, etc, I am guessing it's because they had particular problems with that and learned the hard way.

Like women who complain that the one thing about their husband they would change is for him to communicate more. Does that really indicate that women highly value communicative men? Or, in fact, that it's a low-priority criteria that does not sway their decision for a mate at all? Statistics -- and lessons -- can be turned on their head this way.

See, a lot of people I knew at 25 bought property. A lot of them did really well, but a lot of them also broke even or worse because of the housing crash. The lesson you take from that comes from the assumptions you have going in.

By 25 I was living in the world, working at a job I hated, well out of college. I have learned how to live life much better since then. I also did NOT get married and did NOT have kids at that age. A lot of people do, though, and it is the right decision. But you'd have to know me and my pathologies to know why it was the right decision for me to not do that at that time. Your mileage may vary.

\\\

I think more of what I would tell a 15 year old me who had not been out in the adult world yet.

This sounds a little conspiratorial, but I would say to keep in mind who has your best interest in mind. The people telling you to loan out $100K for an English Degree? It's really tough if you are the only one has nagging doubts. But like the people telling you to go into debt for credit cards, cars, Cancun vacations, Jet-skis, etc. They all have an interest in seeing you do that. But you, yourself, as the owner-operator of your one-life, has to be present of mind enough to see through it all. That's not an easy thing.

Sometimes you look back and say "I wish I had listened to my parents more." But just as many people I see should have listened to their parents less. It's also good to get away from things that warp your perspective. I learned how important it is to shake your etch-a-sketch, and remove yourself from your own biases. It's good not to listen to some peoples' accumulated bitterness or get colored by their agendas and pet theories.

Obviously, a lot of people when they are young live like there is no tomorrow. It's not being dumb. It's what you do when you either cannot or will not get perspective.

There are a lot of people who can look back on life and find key moments -- "why didn't I unclench my fist, rather than going to jail?" "Why didn't I put on a condom, rather than get her pregnant?" "Why didn't I call that person back who was right for me, rather than dating the loser?" Life is a sum of experiences. Very often when you are in the midst of these mistakes, they are there to be seen, if you care to see them.

A lot of people have plans for you, but they don't have to wake up in your skin every day.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,242,164 times
Follow your heart and do what you want to do working as a young adult. Don't settle down yet.
And you will NEVER look better or hotter, so date a lot.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,458,177 times
leverage myself to the max and buy as many condos in Manhattan I could get my hands on.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:58 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Follow your heart and do what you want to do working as a young adult. Don't settle down yet.
And you will NEVER look better or hotter, so date a lot.
This is what I told my 23 yr old. Youth is wasted on the wrong people!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:07 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,821,872 times
"Plastics. . . . !"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment