Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:28 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times

Advertisements

25 is such the perfect age for a working single person. Good Lord. Young enough AND old enough for anything and everything you ever want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Save TONS for retirement. live well below your means. I mean if you make $27 / hr, live like you make $15 an hour ...
Defer any enjoyment of life for the years in which it means the most, so you can live a couple of years on a better golf course before ignominiously croaking. This is what we live for.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:02 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,489 times
No one knows anything at 25 and you won't even find a career until after you're 30. However, you really should stop switching to different soft majors, they're all the same. Take more STEM classes and research your graduate school. Mind the price tag. Don't let anyone boss you around because you think they know more than you. Go with your gut. Drink a little more. Wear a little less. Go easier on yourself and others. No one person can be all of one thing to any one thing.

And ffs, put your foot down. On the gas. All the cars. Now. While your name is still on the title.

Screw.
Them.
All.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lots folks go for cool majors only to find out after they graduate, companies pay minimum wage for their major.
What company pays minimum wage ($7.25 an hour) for what major? Please be specific.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 PM

35,065 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Defer any enjoyment of life for the years in which it means the most, so you can live a couple of years on a better golf course before ignominiously croaking. This is what we live for.
There is certainly a happy balance between spending excessively and being a total miser during your best years.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:21 AM

398 posts, read 746,386 times
I'm 25 and pretty OK. Although I studied for a degree completely irrelevant to what I'm doing now.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiLynn248 View Post
For all of you 25 and older. What would you tell your 25 year old self about employment, workforce or just life in general?

Nothing, if I knew at 25 I would have nothing left to tell anyone and one minor change would change the entire future that I had which is now the past so it is a moot point at best.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 31,814 times
I already had two unplanned special needs one year olds at 25 and a divorce in progress. I needed my intervention before 25.

I also already had two associate degrees by age 20 and had to drop out of school again at 23 because of the pregnancy.

I always wanted to be a veterinarian. I started college at 16... but my parents forced me into business/pre-law instead of letting me do science. So I left home at 17 with my first associate degree.

I joined the Navy later. Sigh. It has been a long hard road. The twins are 9. I've been out of the Navy for some time.

I'm 33 and decided that I still want to be a veterinarian. I managed to pick up some biology, chem and math courses along the way so I'm a jr. at least. I'll see if I can get into yet another school and see how it goes.

Follow your dreams. I knew what I wanted to do when I was a little kid in elementary school. I wish I could have found a way to stay on that path 15 years ago. But better late than never.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Follow a PASSION, don't just lay around and eventually get a so so degree. 90% of bachelor's degrees are worthless in today's economy. Either get a great degree that teaches skills (engineering, doctor, meteorology, etc) or just get a skill specific 2 year degree. Now I have a lot of loan debt and am stuck at a $30k job with no upside ever. Thank God I was raised by a frugal mom who grew up in depression era and I live in a metro with very cheap housing available in safe areas but within a reasonable commute to work

Old 01-25-2015, 10:28 AM

35,065 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Follow a PASSION, don't just lay around and eventually get a so so degree. 90% of bachelor's degrees are worthless in today's economy. Either get a great degree that teaches skills (engineering, doctor, meteorology, etc) or just get a skill specific 2 year degree. Now I have a lot of loan debt and am stuck at a $30k job with no upside ever. Thank God I was raised by a frugal mom who grew up in depression era and I live in a metro with very cheap housing available in safe areas but within a reasonable commute to work
A passion doesn't go very far if it isn't adequately paying the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment