Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,327,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Participate in a 401K at least up to the company max or you are leaving free money on the table. You're not going to miss that 3 or 4% pre-tax, especially when you make peanuts anyway. Compound interest is a beautiful thing. And when you leave a company, roll it over. Don't cash it out, no matter how tempting it seems.

When you interview somewhere, be sure to interview THEM to make sure it's a good fit. Ask about employee engagement, what employees love about working there, turnover rates, how they carry out annual reviews, your priorities for the first year. You are a catch. Don't just take a job offer because you're desperate to make the job search end. You'll just end up job searching again, only the next time you look like a job hopper.

Oh, and stop job hopping. Thinking Company B is going to be infinitely better than their competitor, Company A, is naive. It's all the same BS, just with a different logo over the door. If you make a move, it better be for bigger and better.

Don't burn bridges. Even if you never intend to go back, even if you never want to use them as a reference. For your own inner peace, leave on a good note with your head held high.

Don't quit a job because you don't like your manager or your coworker, unless they are truly abusive, routinely bring you to tears, or give you a panic attack on the way in. People come and go, so these people who drive you crazy might not even be there in 2 years. Let it all go.

Not everything your manager says or does has to do with you. Sometimes her bad days are just her bad days. Give her space and don't take it personally.

More frequently ask, "How can I help?" Ask the receptionist and the CEO with the same sincerity.

Don't try to "fix" places - the places that need fixing already know it, but they just don't care.

Be careful who you stick your neck out for. Work friendships are an illusion, and while you're sticking your neck out for someone, they will stab you in the back. Remember, it's the tallest blade of grass that is the first to be cut down.

Don't trust anyone with the info that you don't like someone or that you are looking for a new job. Anyone. Any. One. There are no secrets at work.

Be open. Be open to relocating. Be open to new opportunities. Be open to working with different cultures. Be open to befriending the weird guy in programming. Be open to going to lunch with someone new. Stop being such a judgmental tool, because you're missing a lot, 25-year-old self.
This sums it all up for me...exactly to the nth degree!

I know that there are many here who don't appreciate when a member posts "This" but if a post in a thread is 100% one's sentiment then that's the way it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 PM

748 posts, read 822,130 times
I'm not 25 yet, but if I knew what I knew at 25, when I was my age:
- Network with everyone (as if it could save your life, because it could)
- Always have an interesting project going on
- Teach anyone what you know who asks
- Never speculate with large amounts of money, but don't shy away from speculating with small amounts
- Always hedge your bets, e.g. have a plan B that's good
- Always have fun in life, never be afraid to make a joke
- Understand, "It takes a smart man, to play dumb" -unknown

Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,172,845 times
I was 25 in 2005. There was so much potential for everything during that year. I would just whisper "real estate, petroleum engineering and a couple of stocks in my own ear".

Old 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM

476 posts, read 1,298,821 times
I still stand behind my opinion that liberal arts degrees have little value. Mostly, they require higher education so you can earn a living. It's far better to graduate knowing you are marketable in a profession. You can always tack on more degrees later.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,095,775 times
I'm reinventing myself at the age of 46, my goal is to work from home in the IT field. I've gotten a couple certs that will help get my foot back in the door. There's tons of $100K+ WFH IT jobs, and I will find an area that fits.

Yes, I'm playing catch-up a bit, but I have nothing else to do at this stage in my life but Balls-to-the-Wall!

But all my focus is on:

1. God.
2. Keeping myself and wife happy.
3. Making the most of my new career.
4. Relocating.
5. Save and invest as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment