Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 04:19 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job within three hours of its initial, fresh posting last Tuesday and the HR lady called me last Friday afternoon. We played phone tag for a bit and after I left two voice mail messages, she finally called me back today and told me that the position was filled two days ago on Monday. That's very quick, IMO, to have a job filled. Makes me wonder if they're amazingly fast and the company's efficiency is through the roof or perhaps they're kindly lying because, after all, she didn't call me back until Friday afternoon as a way of setting up an interview for sometime this week, I was assuming.

So, after applying for a job and having the good fortune of actually talking to the HR lady/recruiter over the phone, what was the soonest they've told you that the job you applied for was already filled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Are you sure it's not a reposting? I have seen some jobs taken down and reposted by my employer, when it's still the same position in my department. After 30 days, they take it down. A few days later, they post it again. People tend to ignore old job postings.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:13 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Are you sure it's not a reposting? I have seen some jobs taken down and reposted by my employer, when it's still the same position in my department. After 30 days, they take it down. A few days later, they post it again. People tend to ignore old job postings.
It could have been. I found it on Indeed and the job posting said it was posted on 2/10. I'll keep an eye out and see if they repost frequently.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Sometimes an employer is unaware of who in their organization might apply for a promotional opportunity, so they open it to the public just in case. When they get several good internal candidates applying they can interview them and make a decision quickly. That's a lot more efficient than announcing it internally, waiting for the deadline a week or more later, getting no one and then having to start over with an outside recruitment.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Most of the time people outside of HR, the hiring manager, or people internal to the department would have no clue on this.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 AM

23,540 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I once applied for a position on Career Builder and received a call the next day, from the hiring manager to set-up an initial phone screen. I was free, so we did the phone screen on the same call. The next day, he called and wanted me to travel to the corporate office to meet with his manager and a VP. I arranged for the trip, the following week. After, I met with them, I received a call from the hiring manager about an offer. Total time: 2 weeks from my initial application.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM

153 posts, read 192,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sometimes an employer is unaware of who in their organization might apply for a promotional opportunity, so they open it to the public just in case.
I worked for a fairly large Fortune 250 that had the policy of posting positions even if it was already promised to an internal. Some would get a note at the bottom that said they already had a candidate in mind, most didn't. Sucks for those who take time time to apply for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment