Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,022,935 times

Advertisements

I've already posted this on an industry-specific forum, but thought I'd see what others outside the industry thought.

Basic dilemma:

Stay in my current 9-5 job or make a career switch.

I trained as a professional pilot during college, graduated and worked as a flight instructor and eventually an airline pilot. Shortly after joining the airlines I was able to obtain a captain position and was making a livable salary. Sadly, the economy took a nose dive, our company started furloughing pilots, and captains were downgraded to Co-Pilots again while losing 50% of our pay. I looked at other alternatives and eventually found one that worked.

Took a job with the federal government, starting salary similar to my airline salary. I was able to achieve a couple promotions in that job, and now make a very comfortable wage (significantly higher than my old Captain salary) and have a very stable 9-5 job.

The trade-off, it's boring as hell!

Recently, the airlines have been struggling to find pilots at the regional level, and my old employer is offering people with previous experience direct entry Captain positions. So, I'd take a pretty substantial pay cut (about 50%) to get back into the game...I'd lose a lot of good things (pension, salary, work/life balance, and flexibility) I'd be on the road considerably more, and away from my family as a result. I have enough time to have a career in either field (34 years left of flying ability). And if I run a "best case" scenario total compensation at the airline is about $2 million better in the long run (retirement + salary). But I've got a "sure" thing which has a pretty decent retirement and salary...and as stated, I've already experienced a downgrade and seen furloughs at the airline...they're pretty routine.

So - if you were weighing options on the fun job you loved to do, or the monotonous job that pays the bills...which do you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 PM

170 posts, read 235,380 times
Do you want to have more money to do things when you are old or do you want to have reasonable money, stability and lots of time to do things now? That's the trade off. Are you working for retirement or working to live?

Old 02-22-2015, 02:26 PM

26 posts, read 76,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
Do you want to have more money to do things when you are old or do you want to have reasonable money, stability and lots of time to do things now? That's the trade off. Are you working for retirement or working to live?
You can absolutely have both. You have to enjoy what it is you do, or at least no feel abject hatred about it. Money is just green paper that grows on trees, there are plenty of ways to earn it without working a job you hate. In my experience the majority of "lucrative" careers are also stressful, full time 24 hour careers that provide little to no work life balance, where your ass is always on the line and you're constantly in danger of getting the boot. Who needs that in their life?

Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbankerman View Post
You can absolutely have both. You have to enjoy what it is you do, or at least no feel abject hatred about it. Money is just green paper that grows on trees, there are plenty of ways to earn it without working a job you hate. In my experience the majority of "lucrative" careers are also stressful, full time 24 hour careers that provide little to no work life balance, where your ass is always on the line and you're constantly in danger of getting the boot. Who needs that in their life?
I didn't say you can't have both. I am asking these questions as they relate to the OP's situation. One scenario offers him the potential for more money, though it's an unstable market and that money might not be relevant until retirement. He also has to deal with time lost from his family. Another scenario offers stability, though not as much money and he gets plenty of time with his family. The drawback is that it's boring. Unless another opportunity comes up or he changes careers entirely, he'll have to make a compromise so he's going to need to determine what's worth compromising.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post

) I'd be on the road considerably more, and away from my family as a result. I have enough time to have a career in either field (34 years left of flying ability).

So - if you were weighing options on the fun job you loved to do, or the monotonous job that pays the bills...which do you choose?
If you're married with kids, ask your wife what you should do and do what she says.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If you're married with kids, ask your wife what you should do and do what she says.
Most honest answer yet :P

I agree with everyone on here, there are pros and cons...The reasons I got out of aviation (flying) are as relevant today as they were 6 years ago. When I originally got into the flying biz in 2006 things were on an upswing (maybe not as much as today...but definitely upward movement). Right now there's a massive upswing in that market, and my "skillset" is becoming a bit more valuable.

On the other hand, the career I've been building for the last 6 years has been paying off as well. As said, great stability and great work/life balance. It is a trade off, and I do have the joy of operating a plane for fun on the side.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:53 PM

I think the joy of flying on the side makes having a boring yet stable job the better trade off.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:58 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
This. I understand being bored with your job. I do. But are you, as a family, financially set enough to allow for the pay cut? Does your wife work? What's the breakdown of family duties? Does she handle most of it? Will you being gone impact her life in such way that she'll start to resent this decision? These are all things that should be taken into account as well. While this will help YOUR quality of life, will it help hers?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:05 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
With a fed job I'd cling to it for dear life, hoard money and retire early. That is what I have decided is the best course with my profession heading down the toilet with temp agencies and H1b/offshoring. I just save 50%+ of my takehome and can probably retire in my 50's and move some place nice with a lower cost of living and nicer weather (and a govt that is not completely corrupt and parasitic).

Old 02-22-2015, 06:19 PM

Love all the responses!

As to our financial security, it's not bad...but it's not as good as I'd like. We have 6 months of expenses in the bank, and are working on paying off debts (student loans - cars). My wife works part time, but she brings in about 13% of our combined income.

Honestly, the pay hit is what really keeps me from making the jump. The time away from family isn't fun, but it's doable...and the sad thing of my previous life is most of our friends are still dealing with this in some fashion (either the spouse flies, or both parents are flying). Additionally, she was there when I was flying the first time, and knows what the lifestyle is like (albeit I don't think she'd be looking forward to it).

So, all things being said I feel my current job offers more than enough benefits to be "livable". It may not be the dream job, but it's a good job and and excellent career. Think I'll stick it out and fly for fun...just gotta find a way to not think about the "what might have been".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment