Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 11:13 AM

360 posts, read 712,741 times

Advertisements

I am one of the top 3 candidates for another job and instead of taking this job, I want to be sure I'm developing a career and making moves now that will benefit me 5 years from now.

Job 1: Aug 08 - July 10, an assistant.
Job 2: July 10 - May 12, an associate
Job 3: May 12 - May 13, a manager
Job 4: May 13 - present, a director

As you can see, I've increased job titles (and pay) at each of these moves, but the longest I have stayed in one place has been 2 years. None of these have been promotions within the same company... I've left each time. I've been at my current position a year and a half... and if I take the new job, it'll be 5 jobs in 8 years...

The new job would be similar title, but more responsibilities and more money.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:27 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
As long as you are making moves up (either in terms of $ or title, but usually both), then let the market regulate how far you climb and if you are job hopping. You are still moving up, the market loves ya baby. That will stop when you’ve reached your peak so reach it – it’s a natural job hop stopper.

You’ll eventually land in a position where you will stay for a while because nobody else will give you more. So stay there until someone else does. So let your job hopping stock be depleted by the market (i.e. when it stops giving you reasons to hop).

If you’re moving because you are bored or always dissatisfied, that’s bad hopping. If you’re moving due to more $, that’s moving up and people get that.

Best of luck

Old 02-25-2015, 03:59 PM

405 posts, read 573,344 times
I'm on my 4th in 9 months. I don't see anything wrong with job hopping. It's the fastest way to a raise. Once you feel you have reached a place where you are getting the most competitive pay for your years of experience then I would settle down. I believe I have found my place so I won't be making in any moves for the next 3-4 years.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:18 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
You don't make money by sticking with an employer hoping they'll pay you more. You gotta get it, and if they won't give it to you, just find someone that will.

Plus, if they're already willing to hire you and pay you more, then you have nothing to worry about.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I am one of the top 3 candidates for another job and instead of taking this job, I want to be sure I'm developing a career and making moves now that will benefit me 5 years from now.

Job 1: Aug 08 - July 10, an assistant.
Job 2: July 10 - May 12, an associate
Job 3: May 12 - May 13, a manager
Job 4: May 13 - present, a director

As you can see, I've increased job titles (and pay) at each of these moves, but the longest I have stayed in one place has been 2 years. None of these have been promotions within the same company... I've left each time. I've been at my current position a year and a half... and if I take the new job, it'll be 5 jobs in 8 years...

The new job would be similar title, but more responsibilities and more money.

thoughts?
How do you think you became a director so quickly? From staying at one place for 10 years? I wouldn't say you look like a job hopper. Staying at one job for 5 years, the next for 10, etc etc was for a different generation of workers. You can't get far by doing this now-a-days, especially not in a competitive market.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
I think you should stick with the current company for a few more years. People with titles like manager and director at my company are pretty high up there expected to stay onboard for a few years at least

Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 PM

140 posts, read 223,511 times
Once you got what you wanted out of a job i.e. training or money and you feel you have done the best of your abilities in that position by all means move on!

The longest I've stayed at a position was 4 years, second longest 2 and 1/2 years. I say as long as you're not hoping every 6 months then you are safe. I feel 1 years a minimal you should give to a position/company unless a huge amazing position is offered.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel a bit better about the situation. However, I'm still a bit scared that the average length I have a job is a year and a half.

I agree with the above poster that said people with titles like "manager" or "director" are high up and expected to stay onboard for a few years at least. No doubt, this is true in my company and I don't want to give other companies down the line the impression that I can't stick with a job... decisions, decisions...

Old 09-25-2015, 01:04 PM

I decided to stay at my current position. Now I'm almost 3 years in... 3 years is long enough, right?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:11 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I decided to stay at my current position. Now I'm almost 3 years in... 3 years is long enough, right?
Hi,

I am Russian, we like to call things as they are. Some Parrot (a talking parrot is some-one that repeats dumb stuff that they hear, the tong is working but the brain is not..) so some talking parrot sold you an idea that you have to pass on good opportunity because another talking parrot might consider that job hopping.

So what are you saying ? in 8 years you went from entry lvl to director, would you be able to achieve that by staying with the same employer for 8 years, of course not !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment