Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 PM

535 posts, read 515,477 times

Advertisements

Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Race, age, marital status, gender, religion, disability, veteran, national origin and a couple of others that slip my mind right now. This is federal law so it covers all states equally. Originally Title VII Civil Rights Bill of the USC.
But if an employer can fire you without stating a reason, how do the restrictions apply?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
But if an employer can fire you without stating a reason, how do the restrictions apply?
Oh, they'll come up with a reason alright. Especially if you're new, it's inevitable you'd be making mistakes, and they'll just pinpoint that as the reason etc. They'll usually start off with the "we don't think you're the right fit" BS

Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Oh, they'll come up with a reason alright. Especially if you're new, it's inevitable you'd be making mistakes, and they'll just pinpoint that as the reason etc. They'll usually start off with the "we don't think you're the right fit" BS
Boosane I swear to god. You're reading my mind tonight. All the rep for you!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
EEOC lawsuits typically come into play when there is a pattern of abuse. For example, if new management were to come in and fire all the minority employees. Not because it wouldn't be illegal on a smaller scale; it's just very difficult to prove.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 AM

743 posts, read 831,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
EEOC lawsuits typically come into play when there is a pattern of abuse. For example, if new management were to come in and fire all the minority employees. Not because it wouldn't be illegal on a smaller scale; it's just very difficult to prove.
Blacks are the majority here but they still get minority preference... wonder why that is? Maybe because our Mayor and police chief have been black for the past decade. So much for affirmative action lol. Guess I should save this for a different thread.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
What Does At-Will Employment Really Mean? | HR Daily Advisor

Employment At Will: What Does It Mean? | Nolo.com

Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Many people treat "fired" and "laid off" as being the same thing. While they're just words, they do tend to mean two different things.

"Laid off" usually means that there's no more work, or you aren't working up to the boss's standards, or the boss doesn't like you. When you're "laid off", as long as you have a sufficient number of eligible work weeks, you can sign up for and collect unemployment benefits.

"Fired" usually means you are being let go for misconduct. In PA, that would be stealing from the employer, or showing up at work under the influence, or causing the employer to lose business. These would be considered "misconduct" and your employer can challenge your claim to unemployment benefits. Of course, it's up to the employer to prove that you are guilty if they use one of those reasons to fire you.

I didn't understand "at-will" employment until my boss handed me a letter telling me my services were no longer needed. At the insistence of others, I contacted an attorney who specialized in employment issues. The appointment lasted all of five minutes, cost me $100.00, and I walked out understanding. (I collected unemployment compensation for three weeks until I found another job)

Oh, and the reason I was being laid off? The owner's wife decided she was going to take over my job. As if. lol

Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,012 times
At will employment means that your employment can be terminated for any reason or no reason.

Employers are NOT required to provide a severance package upon termination of employment. The federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) requires that certain employers provide notice 60 days in advance of covered plant closings and covered mass layoffs.

The WARN Act generally applies to employers with 100 or more employees. The WARN Act is found at 29 U.S.C. 2101, et seq. Regulations are found at 20 CFR Part 639.

Some employers treat their employees well and voluntarily provide generous severance packages. As someone else indicated, a severance package could be required in a written employment agreement. But most workers do not have a written employment agreement.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM

38 posts, read 42,634 times
I think the "at will" doctrine should not be so one sided. For example, your employer can just fire you for no reason, no notice or anything, but if you are to quit, you are expected to give at least 2 weeks notice. I think a common courtesy should be that if you are being let go for anything other than gross misconduct, 2 weeks pay as severance would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment