Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,706 times

Advertisements

I'm very curious how others spend the first few hours of their day. What time do you wake up? Do you shower at night or in the morning? Do you make and bring your lunch to work or do you eat out? How do you spend the first few hours at work in the morning? Do you eat breakfast? I ask because I'm trying to see if my morning routine is adequate and am also trying to judge how lazy I am, as odd as that sounds. I'd also like to know how many minutes or hours you spend each day surfing the net, texting girlfriends/boyfriends, scheduling doctors appointments etc..and how often you are late for work. Thanks in advance for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
if you can prove to be lazier than me, I commend you. I wake up about 15 minutes before I leave, but now it is 15 since I have to walk the dog before I leave now. I shower the night before. The only things I do in the morning is get dressed, brush my teeth, and grab something to eat for breakfast.
I try to never be late, as part of my job being 15 minutes early is on time, it's hard to be late.
I eat breakfast at work, which cuts down on the time i need to be awake before leaving for work. I bring my lunch sometimes and go out sometimes, but I usually always eat at my desk, but I take my full hour of lunch. I am not bothered.
I'd say 20% of my day is doing work, and the rest of it is walking around/surfing the web/texting/etc. The first part of my day, other than when I'm eating breakfast is when I get most of my work done because otherwise i'd probably fall asleep. After I get done what I need to get done, it's pretty much surfing the net until something comes up.

I'm IT support so basically if nothing is going wrong, and we don't have any new stuff coming in... I don't have much to do.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
My morning routine... Wake at 6:00 AM and listen to the news with my eyes resting for awhile. 6:30 AM I take my shower, brush my teeth, do all the typical morning stuff. Cut up some fruit for the drive in when done and make sure everything is ready to go. Then it's out the door at 7:00 AM. At work by 7:30 AM. When it's warmer out, I allot extra time in the morning for a mile run before I leave.

Something interesting I've noticed... I don't need any coffee before I get to work anymore. Waking up later, I feel more rested and energized. Sure don't miss those jobs where I had to be in at 5 or 6 AM

I always bring my lunch. Eat at my work bench everyday, and check the news/stock market when I'm done eating. Serf the net at home when I've got nothing better to do. Play guitar and hang out with friends after work for the most part. Don't do much texting I'm afraid. And I'm rarely late for work. There is a light where traffic builds up, and that can influence my level of tardiness. Most workers take this road to work, so if I'm late, the others will be too. And late getting home? I live within 5 miles of work, but a train or heavy traffic can rob you of time for sure.

So... You writing a book

Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
I work Tues - Fri, sometimes just Tues - Thurs. This is my usual work day routine:

5:40am - wake up to this time 1/2 of the time to alarm & reluctantly drag myself out of bed after resting for 5 more min...I could never trust myself to wake up naturally!

(5:10am - other 1/2 of the time I have to wake up, so I can leave the house at 6:55 to be there by around 7:20.)

- feed & take dog to bathroom
- get on computer for good 20 min
- often turn on TV to mornings news, but never actually sit & watch...I'm 1/2 listening to it
- take a wash up, brush teeth, etc....I shower on the weekend
- put on makeup...I never skip this step
- get dressed
- take dog to bathroom last several minutes before walking out the door

I have a bad habit of skipping breakfast & not eating lunch...I eat when I get back home from work.

Around 7:20 - walk out door

7:35 - arrive at work...need to lug in laptop, my work bag, & purse daily!

- check email

8:30 - officialy start work duties (1/2 the time, I have to start work duties at 7:30)

I don't really eat lunch.

2:30 - the time I try to walk out the door most of the time

2:45 - 3:00 - earliest I could be back home...sometimes I'm home even earlier, sometimes later

Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
4 am - wake up
4:00 - 4:15 am - let the dogs out.
4:15 - 5:10 am - work out
5:10 - 5:20 am - shower
5:20 - 5:30 am - breakfast
5:30 - 6:10 am - blow dry hair and makeup (yes, I know this seem excessive, but most women will understand the amount of time when I say I have very thick hair and I blow dry it straight every morning.)
6:10 - 6:20 am -get dressed
6:20 - 6:30 am - let dogs out again
6:30 - 8:00 am - commute to work

Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM

31 posts, read 68,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I'm very curious how others spend the first few hours of their day. What time do you wake up? Do you shower at night or in the morning? Do you make and bring your lunch to work or do you eat out? How do you spend the first few hours at work in the morning? Do you eat breakfast? I ask because I'm trying to see if my morning routine is adequate and am also trying to judge how lazy I am, as odd as that sounds. I'd also like to know how many minutes or hours you spend each day surfing the net, texting girlfriends/boyfriends, scheduling doctors appointments etc..and how often you are late for work. Thanks in advance for your response.
I have to be at work by 9:00. I usually take a shower the night before, so I wake up around 7-7:30. Makeup, get dressed, style hair, scrounge together breakfast and coffee, and then Internet stuff to chill out for a bit before I leave for work at around 8:40. I am always a few minutes early to work. I usually bring my lunch.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,766,083 times
Wake up
Breakfast/read news on tablet
Back in bed, watch news/check email for 15-30min
Shower, shave, brush, floss
Dress
Go

I keep lunch stuff at work and make it there.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM

213 posts, read 698,289 times
Workout Days - 3/4 days a week
5:30A - Alarm
5:40A - Drag self out of bed
6:00A - Gym
7:15A - Protein Smoothie
7:30A - Shower/Shave/Brush Teeth Dressed
7:55A - Grab lunch/protein bars for the day - Out the Door
8:15A - Office

Non-Workout Days - 1/2 days a week
6:45A - Alarm
6:45A - Snooze
6:55A - Snooze
7:05A - Snooze
7:15A - Drag self out of bed
7:20A - Shower/Shave/Brush Teeth Dressed
7:45A - Protein bar and some juice
7:55A - Out the door
8:15A - Office

Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM

188 posts, read 548,744 times
7:10 wake up and take a shower
7:25 dress and eat breakfast while surfing net and wait for the bowel cramp
7:40 take care of said cramp
7:45 go brush teeth, gear up and go to work.

I always go home for lunch

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM

860 posts, read 2,206,000 times
I recently moved to an apartment that is across the street from the office where I work. It is nice to have a five minute walking commute. Usually wake up around 7 to be at work at 8. If it is a M, W or F first thing I do is knock out 50+ pushups to total muscle failure, and 100 situps. I normally have a simple breakfast of milk and cereal with a protein shake while I surf the net at home for a few minutes. I'll have a few more protein shakes throughout the day. At work there is a cafe for lunch, or I might walk to a nearby Subway or just go to my apartment to eat. Sometimes I'll drive with a coworker somewhere if we are in the mood for something a little fancier. I'm on an intense bodybuilding/cutting routine so after work on M, W and F me and my workout partner will hit the weights in the gym. The office has a full gym which is very convenient. Then after this and every single day I do an hour of intense cardio. Tues and Thur after work I will include running including some hard sprints. I try to manage my time since the evenings fly by after spending 1-2 hours everyday working out after work. I'll take care of odds and ends in the evenings and have been having a lot of Mongolian bbq for dinner lately. I do virtually no cooking. Then right before bed I'll knock out another 50+ pushups to failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment