Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times

Advertisements

It's not part of the job description - it's just part of being a member of a community of humans. You certainly aren't required to socialize, but you'll get a long a lot better with your co-workers and you'll feel a lot better about working there. If you don't, everyone else at the workplace will be a little uneasy around you. Not mean or cruel, just not that comfortable.

I've never had the experience of co-workers using personal information against me. I guess if you have good relationships with them you don't have to worry about that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It's not part of the job description - it's just part of being a member of a community of humans. You certainly aren't required to socialize, but you'll get a long a lot better with your co-workers and you'll feel a lot better about working there. If you don't, everyone else at the workplace will be a little uneasy around you. Not mean or cruel, just not that comfortable.

I've never had the experience of co-workers using personal information against me. I guess if you have good relationships with them you don't have to worry about that much.
I just don't think coworkers should be "in the know" of my personal life unless they're my friends. I get your point, though. Never said socializing wasn't helpful. Some people don't mind spilling the beans about everything and anything, particularly if their lives are more conventional. Some do, though, for one reason or another.

I'm not trying to convince anybody what's right or wrong. Just attempting to explain that not everybody feels the same way and once given a hint, it's best to back off.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Unfortunately some people do stereotype based on nationality. When you are the new person, everyone wants to 'stick you in a group.' Try to do your job, keep your head down and be a nice person. That will shine through more than 'where you are from.'

Good luck to you!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Just say "I'm american"... if you are indeed american. That cover the bases.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
You shouldn't have to reveal any personal information you aren't comfortable with. I knew someone who would answer this question, "I'm a citizen of the world!" with a grin, and people just usually grinned back.

DC

Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 PM

161 posts, read 464,829 times
SierraAZ I agree. Its not meant to be rude or aloof but I feel that in the work force the less people know about you the better off you will be. I feel it's better to be civil, exchange courtesies and not indulge in gossip and know who to look out for.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
SierraAZ I agree. Its not meant to be rude or aloof but I feel that in the work force the less people know about you the better off you will be. I feel it's better to be civil, exchange courtesies and not indulge in gossip and know who to look out for.

Thanks for your responses.
If everyone you work with went no farther than to exchange courtesies, how would you know who to look out for?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
If you are an American citizen, then your Nationality is "American Citizen". That is a legal question to ask.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I ask that question whenever I encounter a last name that intrigues me. I'm not trying to pry, just to strike up a conversation. Where I grew up, the names are pretty generic, whereas mine has a definite distinction of being different. I would ask a new co-worker if their name struck as as a name I'd never heard before, or wanted to learn more about. I love to hear the stories people share about their family history. Again, I don't pry it out of them, but they know I'm interested if they want to share.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I ask that question whenever I encounter a last name that intrigues me. I'm not trying to pry, just to strike up a conversation. Where I grew up, the names are pretty generic, whereas mine has a definite distinction of being different. I would ask a new co-worker if their name struck as as a name I'd never heard before, or wanted to learn more about. I love to hear the stories people share about their family history. Again, I don't pry it out of them, but they know I'm interested if they want to share.
You have to be very careful doing this, especially as a supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment