Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 01:37 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,897,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was offered a new position by a company and signed for them to do a background check on me. I've always been curious as to how the process works, especially when it comes to employment verification.

I'm asking because when I initially listed my employment history on the online job application a few weeks ago, there was no "May We Contact?" box for either my current or prior employers which I found a bit odd. The HR team requested three professional references as part of their standard interviewing process, though, which was fine.

I eventually received a job offer this week and, yesterday, I signed a third-party background consent form called the "Consumer Report and Disclosure" in which I had to list my name, DOB, SSN, Driver's License, and either a Yes or No question regarding have I ever been convicted of a criminal offense. There were a few extra pages explaining my rights under Fair Credit but I didn't see anything regarding listing employment, calling employers, or anything like that.

I'm a bit worried because I don't want my current employer to know I'm looking elsewhere, as there wasn't a box to select "No" on the company's job application...nor was there anything mentioned about it on the third-party background check form.

Do you think they'll still call my current and/or previous employers? I appreciate any insight and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 01:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
The first unusual thing is asking for your SS number at this stage. They need it when hired for taxes, but getting it now means a credit check. Is this a job where you are responsible for large sums of money?

My job is responsible for several millions in revenue and expense and yet they didn't do a credit check on me.

As for your contact question, without a way to opt out of it, they probably will contact HR at your current employer to verify dates of employment. If the person is professional about it they will not divulge the reason, since it could be a mortgage company, or other lender asking.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The first unusual thing is asking for your SS number at this stage. They need it when hired for taxes, but getting it now means a credit check. Is this a job where you are responsible for large sums of money?
Hi Hem, nope no money involved. It's for a dispatching position for a trucking company. Hope that helps!

Old 12-11-2020, 06:22 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
They can contact as many or as few people as they want. They don't need to ask your permission about who to contact since the background form you signed gives them permission to conduct whatever check they deem appropriate.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:27 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
I’ve had background checks done from several companies, including Hire Right and Sterling. If my memory is correct, there’s a field on the form that allows you to indicate that you don’t want your current employer to be contacted, or only contacted after you left. It sounds like there was no such field?

Perhaps, you can contact HR at your new company and express your concern. I’m sure they are aware of the sensitivity of this situation.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:10 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
I've had a bg check on me a few months ago. They said it could take up to a week but it completed in less than 8 hours. I think it was automated. I even got a link to the results. Of course, there is no one size fits all bg check. It depends on what the company is requesting and the company performing it. Here's a few excerpts from mine.

Report Summary
Component Result Status
1 SSN Trace Complete
2 Multi-State Instant Criminal Check Complete
3 DOJ Sex Offender Clear
4 Criminal County Search (7-Year Address History)
Jurisdiction: (county), (state) Clear

Package Title
Comprehensive Background (7 Yr Cty, Multi-State, Sex Reg)
Report Status
Complete
Request Submitted
Sep 29, 2020 9:57 am
Report Completed
Sep 29, 2020 5:44 pm
Completion Time
7 hours, 46 minutes

Old 12-12-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I’ve had background checks done from several companies, including Hire Right and Sterling. If my memory is correct, there’s a field on the form that allows you to indicate that you don’t want your current employer to be contacted, or only contacted after you left. It sounds like there was no such field?
Hi ccm123, there was no field on the background consent form about employment; whether it was listing employment history or contacting anybody at whatever company.

If I remember correctly, when my current workplace extended an offer several years ago, I was given a link to their background check company's website where I had to list my employment history. Of course, my prospective employer is using a different company, but I just found it unusual that there was nothing like that this time around.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:54 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Some background check forms do ask for SSNs and credit checks aren’t done.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Some background check forms do ask for SSNs and credit checks aren’t done.

As seen in my report, they did a SSN trace. I've checked my report with two of the three majors since and saw no inquiry that looked like it would be the bg check. It would probably be considered a "soft pull" anyway.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:09 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

Perhaps, you can contact HR at your new company and express your concern. I’m sure they are aware of the sensitivity of this situation.
Second this. There is always a box that you can check for them not to contact your most recent employer. They will get your consent before contacting your references. Pretty much anything beyond that they are calling your corp HR hotline to find out basics like title and tenure. It's not as though they are dialing up your boss. You have nothing to worry about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment