Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I find it sad that this guy is worried so much about vacation. I take my all my vacation days at work. But honestly I love my job and enjoy being at work more than taking a vacation day.

In effect I get 49 weeks vacation each year as I enjoy work, the other three weeks I take off
Lucky you. I love my job, it's my dream job and rarely do I have a day I don't want to go to work. But that isn't the same as a vacation.

Vacations are important, we're one of the only modern nations that doesn't have some sort of legislation requiring X amount of vacation days. It'd be silly to not consider vacation days when looking for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I find it sad that this guy is worried so much about vacation. I take my all my vacation days at work. But honestly I love my job and enjoy being at work more than taking a vacation day.

In effect I get 49 weeks vacation each year as I enjoy work, the other three weeks I take off

I love my job too, but sometimes I want to do things outside of work as well.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
If they don't close early on Fridays, they must not be orthodox.

Are you just getting the major Jewish holidays off or are you getting the minor ones as well? If you are religious, do you get to take your holidays?

Since you are not jewish, would you have a problem fitting in at the new job? I assume that most of the workers are jewish because of their holiday schedule.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
I find it sad that this guy is worried so much about vacation
What, if anything, about my user name infers that I am a guy? Is it the word "Girl"? You are the second person to call me he. I am really curious.

Quote:
Since you are not jewish, would you have a problem fitting in at the new job? I assume that most of the workers are jewish because of their holiday schedule.
The founder is Jewish, however the girl I would be working for isn't. I only met one other person and I don't know if he was jewish, he wasn't wearing a yarmulke, but then again not all jews wear them.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Depends on what is important to you. For me, vacation is king and really sets the cultural tone in the company. I'm a work hard play hard kind of guy and you can't take advantage of all the hard work if you never get away.

Many companies today emphasize flexibility and time away as a benefit and a strong part of their culture. We as Americans are kind of nuts with this whole work/life imbalance. If you are a workaholic that values money over other things then take this job. If you want a balance that better suits your lifestyle and priorities keep looking. Lots of jobs out there.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:05 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Time off = $$$
If you make $20/hour, each vacation day is worth $160

Keep in mind that if you don't have many vacation days, you might have to take days off that will cost you $160/day.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i get five weeks a year, but have never taken a vacation in 31 years. 8 days is good if you just used them for vacation. if you are one that must have twenty days a year, do they really need you?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i get five weeks a year, but have never taken a vacation in 31 years. 8 days is good if you just used them for vacation. if you are one that must have twenty days a year, do they really need you?
Kidding right? Same guy that never takes a sick day either? I bet you're a joy to work with.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
What, if anything, about my user name infers that I am a guy? Is it the word "Girl"? You are the second person to call me he. I am really curious.
Well, since you're curious, and I was the first, in my case it was because I didn't even look at your username. It's irrelevant to me, I respond to the content and don't variate my responses based on inferences to be made from usernames which often give no clues to gender anyway.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Doesn't matter if you need the days. The issue is the company is not willing to pay for vacations. Since the owner is Jewish, they are off/closed for Jewish holidays too so that doesn't count as affording vacation days for everyone. We've seen these types of small businesses. You better not hope for nice raises down the line either. Sounds like a cheap company, which small companies are prone to be. My dad has been in a similar situation. Since you can still decide to walk away, I'd choose that option unless options are limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment