Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

445 posts, read 865,231 times

Advertisements

I got laid off today due to" staff reduction". I'm one of thousands across the country. Ron Johnson, ex-Target/Apple executive took over Jcp late last year. It's s been a quick decline since. He wants to make Jcp America's favorite store. He seems to be trying to make it like Apple. All I know is the number of hours available for associates decreased to a level I've never seen before. Supervisors and assistant mangers who were settled in their positions were suddenly let go on Monday. Ron said his policy was "fair and square" but I don't know if that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,259,380 times
That sucks, not surprised. I haven't bought any clothes from jcp in years.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,438 times
my local "jcp" rivals a run down kmart in "sketch" feel whereas macy's and nadstroms look and feel like amusement parks.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
Sorry to hear about your situation. Fact is ALL "bricks and mortar" stores, especially those "department stores" like JCP are (again) facing extinction -- over the years many have disappeared and the various "re-strategic alignments" that have seen cycles of cutting in catalog and "in store" product offerings has been part of 20+ year roller coaster.

Personally I would not count out JCP but neither do I think any skilled executive would attempt to hammer every trait that made Apple Stores a huge hit into the VERY different world of multi-line department store...

Good luck. Got any stock?

Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM

841 posts, read 1,918,299 times
The JCP by me (actually about 20 minutes away) like most of their stores is lame.
They have very little in the way of woman's wear--everything seems geared toward size 3 teens and those people who wear clothes like that for years.

Sorry about your job.

My husband once went on an interview for an Apple store. It was all touchy feely BS. Catching balls in the air and stupid group exercises that had nothing to do with how he could work. A real time waster. I'm not buying any Apple products, but they won't fail from my boycott.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,523,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
I got laid off today due to" staff reduction". I'm one of thousands across the country. Ron Johnson, ex-Target/Apple executive took over Jcp late last year. It's s been a quick decline since. He wants to make Jcp America's favorite store. He seems to be trying to make it like Apple. All I know is the number of hours available for associates decreased to a level I've never seen before. Supervisors and assistant mangers who were settled in their positions were suddenly let go on Monday. Ron said his policy was "fair and square" but I don't know if that's the case.
So that's how CEO's "turn things around", by laying off 1000's of people and then have the gall to say "it's fair and square."

I'd love to see asshats like him lose their jobs - permanently. Hey, it's only "fair and square" as far as I'm concerned....lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
Default Why the anger?

I don't get it. The people on the Board of Directors of JCP hired Mr. Johnson because they believed he was most likely to help make the firm competitive. The guy does have a track record at Apple of going from NOTHING into building a string of stores that LITERALLY sell more per square foot than ANY OTHER STORE in any other category.

I have no idea if it is fair to blame management or consumers that are not spending money on nicer but not luxury sheets, towels and furnishings, a lot of jewelry that is not "high end" but not "dime store" and a weird mix of clothes that is not nice enough for "dressing up" but also out of step with the increasing low standard of "business casual"...

Every retail operation tries to minimize the HUGE costs of worker salaries and factoring in the mandatory health benefits and likely outsize cost retirement for more senior employees it is a no-brainer to think that is where the cuts help keep the company afloat longest.

Let's say they DO fire Johnson. He undoubtedly has MILLIONS in the bank from his shares of Apple. He can go on to write books, teach MBA courses or just lay on a beach until he dies knowing that pile of Apple shares are a "safety net" that is unlikely to have rip. In contrast the day the Board cans Johnson the JCP stock will crater as investors anticipate that even this genius of retailing can't turn around this once great name. Everyone with JCP shares in their retirement package is SCREWED. The firm won't have an easy time hiring a replacement. Suppliers will demand CASH instead of easy credit for all goods. Odds are the firm files for bankruptcy. Malls across the country get EVEN MORE VACANT. Lots more people are unemployed.

Sounds like a heckuva plain you got their pal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
So that's how CEO's "turn things around", by laying off 1000's of people and then have the gall to say "it's fair and square."

I'd love to see asshats like him lose their jobs - permanently. Hey, it's only "fair and square" as far as I'm concerned....lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM

349 posts, read 616,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
That sucks, not surprised. I haven't bought any clothes from jcp in years.

Ditto.

I actually checked out the "new" JCP just to see what really changed. Oh, it's changed alright. It looks like a slightly more souped up Goodwill. There's discount chains, then there's dayum... discount chains. JCP unfortunately falls into the last one.

But you know, OP, what the old saying is? When one door shuts, another opens. It's true. You'll find something better. In the meantime, you have a few days off to collect your thoughts, go through your clothes and find some great outfits for interviews, and you got a chance to R E L A X and breathe for a few minutes.

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
I'm sorry to hear that. I went to JCP for the first time in years to support the Ellen campaign after One Million Moms tried to have her fired as spokesperson. I didn't find a whole lot that worked for me, but what I did find had very good prices.

As far as being "fair", life just isn't.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,700,537 times
i notice that the JCP's near me haven't been offering the usual 15% discount on the next purchase on the receipt for the next purchase for completing a customer survey. they simply offer your entry into a sweepstakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment