Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think it's like that everywhere. Places that does it have bigger problems. With today's tech, work can be done quicker with the right tools. Places that requires people to work 50-70 hours have bad management in place. Places that constantly lose people is a sign of bad management in place that did not get their turn yet on the revolving door.
One of the engineers in my office had his boss out last week. He was on course to work 100 hours Friday. Other than after hours work, the company has no telecommute policy, making it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The position starts at $75k and goes up to $100k. Frankly, I don't even WANT it, but the company is full of type As that demand promotion and ungodly hours.
Ugh!!! That's one of the reasons I became a civil engineer. We go home when our work is done. Sometimes I'll be there until 630 but most of the time I'm out the door by 415. The city and DOT engineers have it even easier then us private sector guys.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
One thing to remember is that I am in Indiana. That $60k goes further than coastal regions.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 PM

606 posts, read 730,728 times
Don't forget that you'll likely fall into a higher Tax bracket and pay another 10% more in taxes. That's what really sucks about worker harder, they punish you with a higher Tax rate!!!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 AM

765 posts, read 986,925 times
Quote:
I work in an associate level role at my company and make about $60k, work a forty hour week with a defined 9-6 schedule.

The role I would likely be promoted into within the next year or so generally works at least fifty hour a week, with about 120 hours of on-call weekend work expected throughout the year. These people are also virtually on-call 24/7 for their clients. Emails are frequently being sent from 5 AM until after 7 PM. It is a high stress, high liability role. Other technical roles are worse in terms of work-life balance.

How would you proceed here? I am at a position where I know the role like the back of my hand and could stand at least another year or two of stability before rocking the boat. Would you be looking for other employment or just keep your head low and not make waves?
I personally would turn down any position that screams terrible work life balance no matter how much it pays personally i dont see most tech jobs require long hours but higher paying jobs usually come with nightmare long hours.
I done desktop support for years and dont ever remember being on call working weekends or nights and thats healthy work life balance but at the same time i do not make a lot of money compare to my other peers with long hours( namely network admins system admins engineers)

U have to realize there are always trades off
If u want a regular day job nothin wrong with that u usually take a pay cut for that and visa versa
More responsilities more money but usually more long hours

So whatever choice you have you need to be clear and upfront with the boss its worse taking a position you dont want especially if it involves long hours you dont want
If they cant respect that then they are terrible people to work for after all and you be better off in another company
Doesnt matter if the company is type a or not grow a sack and be honest sorry if i sound rude but yes

Do you want more work life balance or money?

Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,361 times
It's funny, I have a job I love, and it doesn't barely even fit this pay range, but the expectation is 80-100 hours a week, as duty calls.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:16 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
I personally would turn down any position that screams terrible work life balance no matter how much it pays personally

Many people, like yourself, have the freedom and opportunity to flat out reject employment opportunities.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:00 AM

208 posts, read 257,962 times
It's definitely a trade-off. More money generally always means more responsibility and more work hours. There have been multiple threads on here about quality of life and how to work only 8.0 hours but make more money. It's likely not possible to avoid long hours if you want to be promoted in your field and make well over $50K.

My current job offered a good quality of life at first. I worked only 8.0 hours a day but I was entry level and my salary reflected that. Fast forward a few years. The economy started imploding and the company started laying people off. The workload got shuffled and we had to pick up more work, which now requires longer work hours of course. At this point most of us have been with the company a long time and have a nice salary and vacation time. It's just not worth it to leave at this point. Other companies demand just as many work hours and offer far less time off.

If you happen to be in a field of work that demands long hours, then accept it or else find something else.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
I work in an associate level role at my company and make about $60k, work a forty hour week with a defined 9-6 schedule.

The role I would likely be promoted into within the next year or so generally works at least fifty hour a week, with about 120 hours of on-call weekend work expected throughout the year. These people are also virtually on-call 24/7 for their clients. Emails are frequently being sent from 5 AM until after 7 PM. It is a high stress, high liability role. Other technical roles are worse in terms of work-life balance.

How would you proceed here? I am at a position where I know the role like the back of my hand and could stand at least another year or two of stability before rocking the boat. Would you be looking for other employment or just keep your head low and not make waves?
I would decline. The extra pay is not enough to offset the extra hours and responsibilities. Its treading water, like working overtime without overtime pay.

Instead I would look for a new job. No rush, perhaps you stay where you are at for several more years.

One thing I would do would be to explore secondary income means with your extra time if money is a concern or you are looking to boost your retirement savings. Just remember that any extra work or side jobs you do should eventually be paying what your currently making per hour or more to make sense. Perhaps you have a hobby you could turn into income or start a hobby with that in mind.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:12 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
OP, does this role come with any resume enhancing tasks? Don't focus on the hours it requires. Focus on where those hours get you. If it's only a higher salary while you are slaving away, then might not be worth it. But can you use the experience and extra responsibilities as a stepping stone to a better job somewhere else 1-2 years from now? If so, then it might be worth it. For me, would depend where I was in my career - were a wife and children involved, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment