Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 AM

154 posts, read 159,576 times

Advertisements

I'm leaning toward the 1 week notice on Friday of this week. I would say I got offered the job the day before and they need me to start in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
But I have a feeling that you know that if management thinks you're gonna sit in there and goof off with her for 2 weeks, then yes, they will walk you out after you give notice.
This is exactly what I think might be the case. She got called into our new managers office last week and was accused of doing many things incorrectly. It was almost all completely fabricated and could not be supported by any examples. Her and our new manager do not like each other at all and it sounds like they are laying the groundwork to get rid of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I would say to give two weeks notice, but wait a week to give it. Problem solved. Have a start date iwth the new company 3 weeks in the future. If you give 2 weeks notice, you can always ask to be released if they don't need you to stay the full two weeks. Since they are undergoing significant change, they may need to stay the full two weeks.
I like this idea except my start date is 2 weeks from Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Do they need your work for the next two weeks? Then they won't fire you. If you're not needed to keep the wheels from coming off, they may tell you to take a hike. How did they handle the layoff of the others?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbluciano View Post
...I've been with my current company for 15 months now. We are going through a merger and about 6 weeks ago, the leadership of my team in addition to several others were all let go, about half the team...
did the employer give them 2 weeks notice prior to termination ?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

This is exactly what I think might be the case. She got called into our new managers office last week and was accused of doing many things incorrectly. It was almost all completely fabricated and could not be supported by any examples. Her and our new manager do not like each other at all and it sounds like they are laying the groundwork to get rid of her.
You really need to get back in your own office.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:23 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Many times, if they do walk you out, they still pay the two weeks. It's not guaranteed but it's likely.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
"Im also aware employers do not give out information about an employee other than confirming the basics."
That may be true for your past organization (and maybe your present) but it's not limited by any law.

That said, with those major changes happening I'd be comfortable with providing a week notice and communicating that to any future employers.
Unless you authorize it, your former employer cannot legally disclose.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 AM

154 posts, read 159,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Do they need your work for the next two weeks? Then they won't fire you. If you're not needed to keep the wheels from coming off, they may tell you to take a hike. How did they handle the layoff of the others?
They have work for me the next 2 weeks but do not need me.

The others were "informed" on a Tuesday with their last day being Friday.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:45 AM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Unless you authorize it, your former employer cannot legally disclose.
Can you send me links to information confirming your point?

There are no laws about former employers not being able to disclose information without authorization.

Employers can say what they want as long as it's true.

Has been discussed many, many times on this forum, and not one person has been able to prove the point that it's illegal in some shape or form for employers to give out any information on former employees besides date of employment.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 PM

720 posts, read 734,866 times
You say Offer on the table - did you accept - worry about your next move first and get it in writing before giving notice.That way you can walk out same day you give the notice -you're worrying too much about your current job which already you've "checked out" from. Good luck.
Maha

Old 07-05-2015, 01:04 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,662,507 times
Quote:
Part of me does feel that management will not be okay knowing both her and I have given notice and are still "working" alone in the same room. I am concerned we will both give notice on Monday and be let go immediately after. I would prefer not to lose 2 weeks of salary before leaving.
Read what you wrote. These people cant value you that much(they dont) if this is the case. In a corporate setting, peoples coming and going are only mild disruptions in work flow in reality. If you are concerned about losing two weeks of pay in your gut, don't give it. Despite what people say, there is no burnt bridge syndrome anymore, and a expedited departure will not follow you anywhere. If you still worry about the burnt bridge legend, give them a week, and explain a personal situation prompts this. Both parties will not remember this event two weeks from now. Its not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment