Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 06:29 AM

34,081 posts, read 17,134,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes. Three times a week for three weeks (a total of 9 sessions). Chiropractic care is not something that happens in just one session, typically, at least not in my case.

At the very least, Monday you should detail all the upcoming appointment times with your manager and H/R first, to make sure they approve of this massive deviation pattern vs normal business hours.

With 2 appointments in one day this week, you were already almost out the door (and it probably is just gonna happen in 30 days), to need 9 days where there are appointments in 15 days (60% of schedule), they will most likely not wait 30 days.

You might as well find out NOW. Once they make a move, you either take COBRA ASAP or you need to find out chiropractor's LIST price per session..which is what you will be paying out of pocket. Corps via insurers who administer negotiate huge % discounts you as an individual cannot get.

Budget for a few hundred out of pocket per session..minimum.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 2,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
I somewhat agree with your points.

I am Generation X so I do see and agree with your baby boomer issues. I agree the rules are outdated.

Quality of life is a huge factor that all employees should take advantage of, or you will end up divorced with angry children.

Working 12 hours a day is not acceptable especially when the job can be done in 6 hours. I do see people doing that ALOT...they brag that they worked 12 hours but then I see them taking long lunch breaks or having "several lengthy" hallway conversations. Time management is key.

My concern is that the Millenials are taking over soon. I see brilliant young adults. My concern is the work ethic. Millenials have to find that happy medium (be brilliant and work harder). I am not saying work until you bleed. Life is not about work. Don't live to work. Work to support your family.
I'm also Generation X. I have no issues with work/life balance. My issue here is that the OP thinks he can do as he pleases and not communicate with his boss about his comings and goings. What generation you are doesn't matter here--not keeping your boss advised of when you will/will not be at the office is a bad idea.

I view it as the OP started off badly by doing this, so now everything he does is under the microscope.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 2,723,822 times
Quote:
When you leave work early or arrive late, communicate with your boss AND with personnel around you. A little secret, bosses do ask co-workers on what they see.
This is an absolute truth. I'm the team lead at my job, and my boss does ask me my opinion on my fellow coworkers from time to time--and I've no doubts she asks them about me. If you're not in good with your coworkers, your boss is going to start wondering why. You don't have to be best buds with your coworkers, but you need to show consideration towards them--and if they see you doing whatever the hell you want, you can bet they're going to get resentful towards you, start refusing to cooperate with you, and start complaining to the boss about you.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,855 times
Nep, you just started this job 2 months ago and you're already abusing it. Stop texting, stop abusing your lunch breaks. The people you work for aren't micro-managers for calling you out on that, you're failing to do the job they hired you to do.

Texting and abusing lunch breaks is serious disrespect. If you like where you work, stop it.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:46 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,194,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I work a professoinal job and I have never dealt with what the OP is dealing with and I am type Y
I'm one of your despised Baby Boomers. The difference between you and OP is that you're a type Y and obviously deliver because management leaves you alone. Two people can work at the same company for the same boss. You rate a 4 out of 5, you get to come and go and the boss will pretty much leave you alone- that is the way I was always treated and that is the way I treated those who worked for me because at the end of the day, they delivered.

OP by her own admission is a 2 out of 5. That means the boss is going to be all over her. I had that experience once when I was in sales and it was taking a little longer to close a few large sales than I'd anticipated. I too got a "plan". And the boss was all over me. But in the end I brought in all of those sales and he eased up. It was in that job that I observed the sales reps bringing in the sales could do anything they wanted. They also got special perks, like extra training and conferences. The people who were under performing got the boss up their *ss until they improved or quit.

Quote:
In regards to texting. Texting can be misunderstood. For the majority this is not an issue. I see people text all the time while in meetings...my current environment is great...so my boss does not care as long as we deliver. Simply deliver!
You hit the nail on the head. I've been in meetings where someone looked at their phone and texted a short reply- no big deal if they were paying attention and contributing during the meeting. I've also been in meetings where all someone did was look at their phone and you begin to wonder "why are you even here".

Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Plus most employment checks will spot it. Every employer reports earnings quarterly to the DOL, with name, SS #, gross earnings. Employment checks use services which can datamine all employment history (except those paying "under the table"). This employer obviously will report the OP's record to the DOL, allowing all future employers to see he worked at this corp.
No, employment checks don't have access to this info. You can leave a job off a resume and they cannot find it unless you have an old resume or linkedin info out there that shows that prior job. Or unless you are getting a security clearance or if one of your references mentions it.

I had recent employment checks and they couldn't even find info on actual jobs that paid W2 wages. I had to give them paystubs to proved I worked there. This was a large well known background checking firm.

Last edited by sware2cod; 09-12-2015 at 08:10 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,777,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

OP could consider doing chem engineering as a premed and then go to medical school or working as an engineer in a second world nation, if you are really good its like being a NFL player.
The OP does not have the drive to succeed at engineering or med school, IMO. Engineering takes intelligence, drive, motivation, and dedication....none of which the OP seems to have. S/he is more concerned with cable tv (and what millennial even gets cable anymore....any savvy millennial views things via streaming services!), dental cleanings between 9-5, and seeing a chiro 3x week, also between 9-5...

Old 09-12-2015, 09:17 AM

367 posts, read 458,746 times
Quote:
I somewhat agree with your points.

I am Generation X so I do see and agree with your baby boomer issues. I agree the rules are outdated....

My concern is that the Millenials are taking over soon.
Everyone forgets about us (Generation X). Millennials aren't taking anything over soon if we have anything to say about it.

I do agree with my possible Steel City neighbor, Pittsflyer. Boomers have just as much self-entitlement as millennials. One side is not any better then the other.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:19 AM

45,471 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This is veering completely off topic, but I agree. Working 12 hours a day is nothing to brag about if you spend five of those hours unproductively, which I suspect the majority of those who work those long hours do. I think a good worker is someone who understands what is the most important task he or she needs to accomplish in any given moment and gives it focused, diligent attention. If I owned a business, I would much rather have an employee who gives me eight good hours a day and then goes home to spend another eight hours of recreational time and a good eight hours of sleep than someone who burning the midnight oil because he spent the best hours of the day unproductively.

Work life balance is critical. The workaholics I have worked with over the years were not as productive as those who keep things in check.

I quoted this for a reason because it ties into the following.

The OP (nep) admitted in another thread he started yesterday asking for his work ethic to be rated that he spent roughly 20% of his time at work texting/checking the news/ doing personal stuff.

That's about an hour and half out of eight. Have a shop with 5 people all doing that and you've lost a FTE.

At, for argument's sake, $50K a year plus another $20K for benefits, that's $70K off that department's bottom line.

With the trend (which has always been there if one is honest and doesn't have some sort of anti-generational agenda) to run a lean operation any manager that sees that will start cutting head count.

Then that same manager will start to think that if his people have enough time to spend 20% of it on non-work tasks then they don't have enough to do. Which adds more impetus to cut head count and divide up that work. Maybe cut one, maybe two.

If you think that the Baby Boomers invented that just be glad you didn't have to work for WWII era bosses. They didn't have to **** around with improvement plans or counseling sessions with HR (Personnel back than). You were gone that afternoon.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:29 AM

242 posts, read 244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Everyone forgets about us (Generation X). Millennials aren't taking anything over soon if we have anything to say about it.

I do agree with my possible Steel City neighbor, Pittsflyer. Boomers have just as much self-entitlement as millennials. One side is not any better then the other.
I am a gen Xer myself. I agree with the beginning of this statement anyway. I am on the fence about the second part though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment