Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:42 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times

Advertisements

Sorry, OP, not sure if it's outside the box, but it's sure right on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfTrjPSShs

Old 09-18-2015, 09:24 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
OP, I must be missing something. You seem to be describing the normal work routine of most Americans.

What is your point?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i leave the house at 5am, get back at 8 pm seven days a week for last six years.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:55 PM

658 posts, read 1,143,361 times
grow a sack and man up. no offense.

I work 20 hours a week more than that. easily. sometimes more.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovich View Post
I did work for 3 years full time for a decent pay, however i was like zombie at the end of the work day brain was exhausted and body sometimes too so most i'd do would be go grocery shopping or watch TV before going to sleep. Don't get me wrong i don't have any special condition. Back then i thought money is everything and there's no other way, i had money, but no time to enjoy my life.

Here's my usual working day its been same for 3 years.
6:30am - prepare for work
7:30am - i drive to work
8:00am - i started working
13:00 - hour lunch break
14:00 - work continues
5:00 or sometimes 5:30 - i drive home
6:00 - i am home finally can live for myself
10:00 - i go to sleep to wake up again at 6:30am.

So i live for myself from 6pm to 10pm - about 4 hours a day and its not even quality time because i am exhausted after working plus its dark outside already and same stuff every day. Lets skip weekends because its just 2 days out of 7 and some places make you work on weekends too.

I bet most say i am wrong and that they enjoy working talking to people help customers etc - glad it works for you, i am not the same what i do at work is to get money not getting anything else out of it other than my time wasted for something/someone for that paycheck rather than spent time for myself or be with my loved ones.

So if i care less about money i am fine with having my rent paid and having extra $500 monthly for other expenses does it make sense to don't work full time or at all and spend my life as i want?! I think yes its very important to have my life to me.

I am not in a cult or trying to convince that its the only right way for everyone, just trying to answer it for myself, have you ever thought similar or asked yourself same question, if so what was your conclusion?

99.9% probably will tell me that i need to work to get money otherwise i will not survive or my life wont be fulfilled without lots of money or think i am some weirdo romantic dreamer/philosopher or guy who just has nothing better to do than ask stupid questions to which he already knows the answer... Or how would you do if you get medical bill of 10,000 and what would you do if your credit score goes down, wish there was mute button for this people but i guess i'd have to hear them anyway.

Before you shoot standard answers and criticism, please take 1 minute and analyze this outside the box.
Welcome. You need to know there are TONS of people who feel exactly like you do. And we step off the treadmill in various ways and make it work and make it work well. There's lots of books out there that address this -- Like YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE, THE TIGHTWAD GAZETTE, and tons of frugal living blogs. Yes -- you have to make lifestyle changes, and you have to be a steward to your money and your lifestyle.

In our married life, I have rarely worked full time out of the house. I hate working full time. I can't get anything accomplished in my life working full time. Hubs is more work oriented, and now that we own our own company, he's even more fulfilled working... but even HE doesn't work full time -- more like 30 hours a week.

You need to cut out the extras, and your extras won't be my extras, and you need to find something you have passion in to do -- and of you make money in it, even better. When I retire in the next year, my intentions is to have an Etsy shop up and running making small bags to fund my hobbies. All I need to make is about 500 a year...and if it doesn't work.... well.. don't really need to make it, just would be nice if my hobbies were self sustaining.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:06 AM

9 posts, read 10,384 times
'Work or not to work?" By all means work, Do you have some self respect?. as for the rest...depends on your ability and education. Do you have the drive and ambition?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:22 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Morning OP!

You must have interests, no? Something you're passionate about? Why not look for a job that doesn't feel like working to you? That's the best way to go in life.

The Bible says: "Let he who does not work, not eat."

Humans were made to work, but it's just as true that we're supposed to enjoy it, so why not put your energy into finding something you would do for free - and then make sure your boss pays you for it? And if you can't find someone who'll pay you for what you like to do, start your own business and commercialize your passions, hopefully contributing to the greater good (the happiness of others) in the process.

All the best to you,

Mahrie.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
I did work for 3 years full time for a decent pay, however i was like zombie at the end of the work day brain was exhausted and body sometimes too so most i'd do would be go grocery shopping or watch TV before going to sleep.
some supermarkets have an online service where you pick out your stuff online and pick it up at the store.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong i don't have any special condition. Back then i thought money is everything and there's no other way, i had money, but no time to enjoy my life.

i would kill to have that schedule. i work two jobs.

Quote:
So i live for myself from 6pm to 10pm - about 4 hours a day and its not even quality time because i am exhausted after working plus its dark outside already and same stuff every day.
sounds kinda selfish. and 4 hours a day is plenty of time. use that time to look for a better job that doesnt make you feel as "drained".

Quote:
Lets skip weekends because its just 2 days out of 7 and some places make you work on weekends too.
skip weekends? why? do you work weekends? i do

Quote:
I bet most say i am wrong and that they enjoy working talking to people help customers etc - glad it works for you
hell no, id rather be drunk on a yacht somewhere with about a dozen playboy bunnies, but here i am. i hate customers and people in general, but it is a means to an end

Quote:
So if i care less about money i am fine with having my rent paid and having extra $500 monthly for other expenses does it make sense to don't work full time or at all and spend my life as i want?! I think yes its very important to have my life to me.
good luck with that, most people have more than $500 additional expenses after rent/mortgage, even single people. $500 left for other expenses doesnt leave much, if anything at all to enjoy life and spend it how you want.

Quote:
I am not in a cult or trying to convince that its the only right way for everyone, just trying to answer it for myself, have you ever thought similar or asked yourself same question, if so what was your conclusion?
yes, ive thought if this. all the free time would drive me nuts. so i stopped smoking so much weed and got my ass to work.

Quote:
99.9% probably will tell me that i need to work to get money otherwise i will not survive or my life wont be fulfilled without lots of money or think i am some weirdo romantic dreamer/philosopher or guy who just has nothing better to do than ask stupid questions to which he already knows the answer... Or how would you do if you get medical bill of 10,000 and what would you do if your credit score goes down, wish there was mute button for this people but i guess i'd have to hear them anyway.
not gonna tell you any of that. try it out, see how it works for you. but have an exit plan in case the SHTF

Old 09-19-2015, 06:49 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
I did work for 3 years full time for a decent pay, however i was like zombie at the end of the work day brain was exhausted and body sometimes too so most i'd do would be go grocery shopping or watch TV before going to sleep. Don't get me wrong i don't have any special condition. Back then i thought money is everything and there's no other way, i had money, but no time to enjoy my life.

So i live for myself from 6pm to 10pm - about 4 hours a day and its not even quality time because i am exhausted after working plus its dark outside already and same stuff every day. Lets skip weekends because its just 2 days out of 7 and some places make you work on weekends too.

I bet most say i am wrong and that they enjoy working talking to people help customers etc - glad it works for you, i am not the same what i do at work is to get money not getting anything else out of it other than my time wasted for something/someone for that paycheck rather than spent time for myself or be with my loved ones.

Before you shoot standard answers and criticism, please take 1 minute and analyze this outside the box.
I could have written your entire posting myself. I have also analyzed my time and come to the same conclusion --- that work has a stranglehold on my time. And I don't like that.
Unfortunately I have kids and day care bills. Clarification: I love my kids --- but am tired of the day care charges! But I totally get your point. I do my best to keep my expenses down, in the hopes that eventually I can retire early and stop the game.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 09-19-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 AM

743 posts, read 766,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
He didn't say that. Where'd you get that idea? His point was that his life was drudgery making someone else rich. Which can be said for millions of people.
Why don't you start your own business and make yourself rich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment