Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,861 times

Advertisements

So I am just curious..... I have worked at a salaried position for over 3 years. Never taking a day off without being scheduled, or being injured with a doctors orders to stay off work ( and even that has only happened twice) 2 weeks ago I called and explained to my boss my uncle was dying and they were taking him off of life support and wanted to take one of my PTO days to go so that I could be there, and she told me if I went I would be fired..... Please note I had 127 hours of available PTO time..... Is this even legal??? Obviously it's mean and hateful, but can someone even do that if you have PTO time available??? If it's given can I not use it to call in sick, or for personal situations that arise? Isn't that it's whole purpose???

The thing is there are two businesses owned one is a restaurant and one is a business office. Since I am the only one that can run the restaurant I'm almost forced to never take time off because no one can fill in for me but I know this would never be an issue with her business person now because there are many people that can do those jobs it just doesn't seem right .....
Any light????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 06:49 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostella01 View Post
So I am just curious..... I have worked at a salaried position for over 3 years. Never taking a day off without being scheduled, or being injured with a doctors orders to stay off work ( and even that has only happened twice) 2 weeks ago I called and explained to my boss my uncle was dying and they were taking him off of life support and wanted to take one of my PTO days to go so that I could be there, and she told me if I went I would be fired..... Please note I had 127 hours of available PTO time..... Is this even legal??? Obviously it's mean and hateful, but can someone even do that if you have PTO time available??? If it's given can I not use it to call in sick, or for personal situations that arise? Isn't that it's whole purpose???

The thing is there are two businesses owned one is a restaurant and one is a business office. Since I am the only one that can run the restaurant I'm almost forced to never take time off because no one can fill in for me but I know this would never be an issue with her business person now because there are many people that can do those jobs it just doesn't seem right .....
Any light????
So sorry to hear about your Uncle. The short answer too your question is that you are NOT entitled to take PTO whenever you want - especially not unscheduled. You mentioned the critical ness of your presence. That would be a consideration.

Having said that, it's hard to imagine how firing you wouldn't put them in an even worse jam. It's also hard to see how someone could be so calloused.

I wonder if there is not more information you could share that would help give us context for their extreme response. Can you talk to us a little more about the nature of your relationship with your boss? How does he/she perceive your performance? From their perspective, how do they see you? Why do YOU think they responded this way?

Old 10-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Your boss definitely lacks understanding and compassion, but sorry to say, all PTO is at the discretion of your boss and subject to the needs of the company. If they expected it to be a busy day, and others had already been scheduled to be off, they would be worried about getting the work done. Even just to be mean, they can refuse to grant a day off. Not a good way to keep valuable employees and somewhat suspicious, in your case. I wonder if something else is going on and this was just used as an excuse to get rid of you.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
She can deny the leave. You should speak with her about it. You should have a backup person in place for circumstances such as this.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
It's managers like that that shouldn't be managers.

Last time I got news that my significant other needed to be taken to the hospital, I sent a text message to my boss and told him I needed to leave and he responded don't worry he'll cover for me just do what I need to. He didn't even make me use my PTO. He said just put down as working from home. When I needed to take a couple days off for my significant other's surgery, again he told me to save my PTO's and put down as working from home.

And for that, I've worked extra hard to make our team look good. We are currently the most profitable engineering team in the company.

I firmly believe bosses who are understanding and friendly the ones they manage yield a lot more results than bosses who demand results from their underlings.

I'm a middle manager and I certainly don't demand anything from my guys.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostella01 View Post

Any light????
Insensitive and callous? Yes.
Illegal? No.

Now you know what kind of people you are working for.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:16 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
What a sadistic person your boss is to try to deny you seing you Uncle for the last time! Legal or not its wrong and plain nuts.I hope your family stays strong and you find a great new job with better management.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:24 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
Did they pay you out for your accrued PTO?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,896 times
PTOs are at the discretion of the manager, even if it's for a death in the family. The work still needs to get done and it isn't going to complete itself. At the end of the day most decent managers try to be pragmatic about this and will (if possible) handle it in a way that's satisfactory for all parties involved (the company and the employee in question). But sometimes compromises or hard decisions have to be made, and most managers will act in the best interest of the company in such instances.

That said, I wonder if there is more to the OP's story than what was posted. There's some crappy bosses out there, but it seems unusual for one to be as callous as the OP described. Taking the OP's post at face value...the boss should have handled the situation in a much more professional manner. Compassion is part of being professional...employees are humans, not robots.

Honestly, either the OP or the OP's boss should have already had a backup/contingency plan in place for situations like this. Not having one is irresponsible.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
PTOs are at the discretion of the manager, even if it's for a death in the family. The work still needs to get done and it isn't going to complete itself. At the end of the day most decent managers try to be pragmatic about this and will (if possible) handle it in a way that's satisfactory for all parties involved (the company and the employee in question). But sometimes compromises or hard decisions have to be made, and most managers will act in the best interest of the company in such instances.

That said, I wonder if there is more to the OP's story than what was posted. There's some crappy bosses out there, but it seems unusual for one to be as callous as the OP described. Taking the OP's post at face value...the boss should have handled the situation in a much more professional manner. Compassion is part of being professional...employees are humans, not robots.

Honestly, either the OP or the OP's boss should have already had a backup/contingency plan in place for situations like this. Not having one is irresponsible.
I agree with your entire post, especially the bolded.

There has to be more to this story.

I am confused about how when the employee was working, there wasn't anyone who can do the job, but now that she is fired, there are many people who can do the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment