Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 4,084 times

Advertisements

Hello all. First I really appreciate any opinions.

I am working in Texas, in long distance with my family (2 hours flight). I am also very very miserable at my job because of my manager. So I decide to quit and move to where my family are.

My employer is a fortune 200 and I am not sure if they have very strict employment policy ( how employees quit and how they are laid off). They know I am in a long distance relationship so I can use this legitimate reason to quit. But if I quit, I won't be able to claim unemployment, which would be financial burden for me ( I will actively look for job over there and have plans to take courses towards another degree but am not sure how long it will take).

The state I move to allows me to claim unemployment benefit because of family reasons but Texas does not. Since I work in Texas. it would not be an option for me

So can I talk to the company to lay me off? How can I approach them? I wont ask for any severance package from them.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
If you get paid unemployment, the company gets charged via their premiums or directly (I am not sure). So, the money is not 'free' - you are basically asking them for money to leave your job.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You can ask all you want but no company who is concerned about their finances will ever say yes.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:52 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Why would they? If they lay you off, they have to pay for your unemployment. You can find a new job or you can quit; don't expect the company to lay you off so you can have some income after you leave.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:55 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
They'd probably just fire you on the account of even asking.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:02 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle999888 View Post
Hello all. First I really appreciate any opinions.

I am working in Texas, in long distance with my family (2 hours flight). I am also very very miserable at my job because of my manager. So I decide to quit and move to where my family are.

My employer is a fortune 200 and I am not sure if they have very strict employment policy ( how employees quit and how they are laid off). They know I am in a long distance relationship so I can use this legitimate reason to quit. But if I quit, I won't be able to claim unemployment, which would be financial burden for me ( I will actively look for job over there and have plans to take courses towards another degree but am not sure how long it will take).

The state I move to allows me to claim unemployment benefit because of family reasons but Texas does not. Since I work in Texas. it would not be an option for me

So can I talk to the company to lay me off? How can I approach them? I wont ask for any severance package from them.

Thanks for everyone's input.
no they won't lay you off.. they know you would get unemployment. Why not just look for a new job where you want to move to and save money up until then? It's really bad idea to try and get fired as well, since you could still end up not getting unemployment.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I can tell you, it's definitely negotiable if your manager is understandable. Employment is a 2 way street, big companies such as yours don't care as much about the hit on unemployment premiums. It's already budgeted.

The biggest obstacle is the amount of paper work that is involved in getting to that point. They need to see some type of reporting from your manager performance related to recommend letting you go for performance reasons. You can't mutually just part ways and still get benefits. That's consider quitting.

Ask your manager about performance expectations and then give them the idea that you're not capable of meeting that and then see if what they say you need to do. Lead them to believe that you're not able to comply then they will have to write you down for that and recommend you for performance terminations in the next quarterly review.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Layoff is different from you resigning or the employer firing you.
Usually, it means the position has been eliminated for business reasons so , being a F200 company, they will have strict criteria to use when laying off people to protect themselves legally.
IMO, you'll need to resign.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:58 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can tell you, it's definitely negotiable if your manager is understandable. Employment is a 2 way street, big companies such as yours don't care as much about the hit on unemployment premiums. It's already budgeted.

The biggest obstacle is the amount of paper work that is involved in getting to that point. They need to see some type of reporting from your manager performance related to recommend letting you go for performance reasons. You can't mutually just part ways and still get benefits. That's consider quitting.

Ask your manager about performance expectations and then give them the idea that you're not capable of meeting that and then see if what they say you need to do. Lead them to believe that you're not able to comply then they will have to write you down for that and recommend you for performance terminations in the next quarterly review.
And then you get to explain to your next perspective employer that you are a capable employee regardless of what you evaluations say, because you were just gaming the system in order to collect unemployment.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
And then you get to explain to your next perspective employer that you are a capable employee regardless of what you evaluations say, because you were just gaming the system in order to collect unemployment.
It won't look good if another employer does their background checks and gives a score. Most hiring managers don't look that deep, they're only looking for flags such as patterns of job changes in comparison to the industry and demand. Some positions that are in demand, I can tell you an employer don't even bother with background they just need references and the person passes interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment