Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Another option is that you could check in with your boss every time before you will cover for your co-worker. After about 5x checking in with boss, boss will get the picture.

A quick e-mail. "Hi Boss, Bob isn't in again, so I was going to do XYZ, since it is outstanding. Let me know if there are any special instructions on this job, otherwise I will use my normal method."
Yeah, that too. Bust his sorry ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:26 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Another option is that you could check in with your boss every time before you will cover for your co-worker. After about 5x checking in with boss, boss will get the picture.

A quick e-mail. "Hi Boss, Bob isn't in again, so I was going to do XYZ, since it is outstanding. Let me know if there are any special instructions on this job, otherwise I will use my normal method."
I wouldn't advise it, especially since the OP mentioned this person seems to be buddies with the boss.

I can't imagine it going well at all in such a case.

Time to polish up that resume and start looking!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:21 AM

94 posts, read 78,369 times
redroses777
Go where you are treated best

Old 11-02-2015, 10:24 AM

761 posts, read 833,211 times
Time for a sit down, clear the air, frank discussion stating that you will not be his whipping person.
Or....time for an ass kicking.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:30 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Stop covering his "tardies" immediately. If he's been late 15 times in the last 2 months you can bet he's going to continue to do it. If someone asks you, you just don't know where he is.

Stop picking up his slack. Let the job not get done and let him fail. Make sure to document who is responsible for what via e-mail if you can. Send e-mail confirming what he's supposed to do and what you are doing and copy the boss. If he's not pulling his end and it affects you, send an e-mail requesting his contribution, and copy the boss.

You need to start differentiating your work and his. If the boss is still "fooled" by this guy, it's time to look for another job.

One thing I don't understand is if your name was on the work, how did he get credit?
1) I wouldn't even say I don't know where he is - I'd say, "I don't think he has come in yet." Let people know he's not there.

2) I agree about creating a paper trail to show that you are the one doing all the work, and include the boss whenever necessary. I once had that issue with a co-worker - once I became aware of it, I'd gladly do the work, but then when emailing her the end product, I would cc: my boss and her boss and say, "Here is that presentation you asked me to do for you." After doing that a few times, she stopped asking me to do her work for her "as a favor."

I say give it another 5 months (so that you are there a full year), and then consider your options for moving on. If you start doing the good ideas recommended on this thread, your situation may improve to where you don't feel the need to leave.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboi View Post
Dude, no one stays at their job for 25 years anymore. Yes, you should leave
Maybe not the same job but it is entirely possible to stay on at the same employer for years. I have been at the same place for 18 years now and plan on staying for another 20 or 30. Two of our kids want to do the same thing.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:24 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,437 times
If he's buddies with the Boss, then there is nothing to cover. It won't matter either way.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Before I retired, I supervised a department where one person was always very late. I could tell who was there and who wasnt because everyone had his/her own office and, if the person wasnt there yet, his/her lights wouldnt be on.

I had a talk with this person and she agreed to be on time from then on. When I walked past her office in the mornings, I'd see her lights on but she wasnt at her desk. I always presumed she was in the restroom or on another floor working on a project.

Then one morning I saw her rush in, about an hour late. It was obvious that she was just coming in to work, although her lights were on. That's when I learned that another co-worker had been turning on her lights and re-arranging the papers on her desk to make it appear that she was there.

I gave them both a "Come to Jesus" lecture and promised them I'd fire them both if that ever happened again. Well, it did and I did.

That probably wont happen to you, since your co-worker appears to be friends with the boss. But be careful about ever covering up for a co-worker. Sometimes you can get in as much , or even more, trouble for doing it.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
If he is buddies with the boss, the plan may be to promote him (this same thing happened where I used to teach--teacher was late every day for years but was promoted to a principal). You do not want to work for this guy.

Do not cover for him. If someone asks, you do not know where he is.

Do not do his work. Do yours and make sure that his name is not on it.

Make friends with those who know what he is doing.

Finally, I would look for another job if you do not think that you can ever work for this guy. Take care of yourself and look for your best opportunities.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:51 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Maybe you can take his master's degree?

Or just start anti-covering. Every few days, within earshot of multiple managers: "Hey, has anyone seen Joe? I've been looking for him for hours!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment