Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do young people today major in economically useless subjects?
ignorance about the bubble 36 21.05%
too lazy to do engineering/accounting/nursing 46 26.90%
other (comment) 89 52.05%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:20 PM

902 posts, read 1,106,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Any degree is still better than no degree at all. Most generic job postings simply require a generic bachelors degree. It's the new high school diploma.
100% true, most (non-specialized) employers don't care what the degree is.... so long as you have one

I think that is why you see some seemingly useless degrees still being popular choices

It's easier

why work so hard getting a BS in Engineering when you can get a BA in Art...... "a degree is a degree" to many employers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:02 PM

43 posts, read 39,932 times
I got a poverty healthcare degree. I only went to college to get laid though. I could care less about money and careers. I just want to smoke weed and play video games.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:14 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
100% true, most (non-specialized) employers don't care what the degree is.... so long as you have one

I think that is why you see some seemingly useless degrees still being popular choices

It's easier

why work so hard getting a BS in Engineering when you can get a BA in Art...... "a degree is a degree" to many employers
I think that is mostly true. While there are some positions which absolutely require a degree in a particular field, many more seem to require "insert" general degree.

More often the tricky part is getting the interview in the first place. If X company is looking to fill 1 position and they have 50 people with degrees applying for that position, well my heart goes out to the other 49.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 AM

213 posts, read 204,942 times
I was an immature pushover and followed my fathers terrible advice.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:57 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
some point in the early 90s is when college degree started losing value, and choice of major became more and more important. Do young people today major in economically useless subjects because of ignorance (lack of knowledge about education bubble), or laziness? Somehow intuitively, they must understand that they can't drop 50k on an economically useless major and expect to find a decent job when everyone else is going to college too, right?
Because not everyone is good at math/science/technical stuff. You either have the right brain type for it or you don't.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:29 PM

137 posts, read 101,008 times
I think everyone is told they have to go to college and anything less than that means you're going to be a failure and therefore have failure parents. It's ridiculous because not everyone is cut out for college, they come out dumber than they were when they went in because now they're in debt and have no life skills. They choose silly degrees like history or english, just like everyone else and end up in a job they could have gotten with some business courses at a tech school and some experience.

I have a college degree. By choice, I'm not working in the field I studied, though I have. But in all honesty, it was the business and computer classes that I took in high school that got me the jobs with health insurance, paid vacation, sick leave and stability.

I give my kids the opportunity to attend college if they want (on their dime with some assistance as their grades hold) but I strongly suggest looking into vocational and technical schools too. Plumbing, welding, medical assistance, lineman, police, fire - you'll never be jobless!

Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnSmithJones View Post
I think everyone is told they have to go to college and anything less than that means you're going to be a failure and therefore have failure parents. It's ridiculous because not everyone is cut out for college, they come out dumber than they were when they went in because now they're in debt and have no life skills. They choose silly degrees like history or english, just like everyone else and end up in a job they could have gotten with some business courses at a tech school and some experience.

I have a college degree. By choice, I'm not working in the field I studied, though I have. But in all honesty, it was the business and computer classes that I took in high school that got me the jobs with health insurance, paid vacation, sick leave and stability.

I give my kids the opportunity to attend college if they want (on their dime with some assistance as their grades hold) but I strongly suggest looking into vocational and technical schools too. Plumbing, welding, medical assistance, lineman, police, fire - you'll never be jobless!
You make good points but the problem is that there is little market for 18 year old workers. Thus they'd be doing very little during those years. I personally favor a return to the apprenticeship system, at least for many students who have street smarts but not college smarts.

As for useless majors, if someone is heading for graduate school, as I did (I am a lawyer) taking courses that are interesting and for which one has an aptitude helps the GPA and in turn admission to graduate school.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:50 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
I don't think degrees are worthless...

it's the people that get them with no plans that make themselves worthless... with or without degree. They just had no plans beyond getting a piece of paper. Switch out the paper, and they would still not have a plan.

Really, anyone could make anything worthless by lack of planning. If someone gave you Apple, you could run it into ground and be left penniless as easily as the guy in the basement figuring out how to put together an invention and becoming one of the richest guys

Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,109 times
The government is granting or giving money to people to earn worthless degrees.
It's dumb, but the US government is very dumb.

The US is loaded with unemployed people with worthless degrees already!

Old 03-20-2016, 05:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I've always had an interest in mental health and the social sciences, in general. I wish I would have gotten a master's in psychology instead of security studies because it would have allowed me to become a licensed professional counselor or licensed psychological associate. There is a severe shortage of mental health professionals, and Texas and some other states are offering to pay their student loans in order to encourage more people to enter the field and work in underserved areas. But, I was able to use my BA in Social Science to register as a licensed chemical dependency counselor intern and work toward a full license. I wouldn't have been able to do that with a degree in a natural science, business, engineering, technology, etc.

By the way, I do have an aptitude for science and technology. I'm close to finishing a business administration/computer information systems bachelor's and a biology associate's. I'm just doing those for personal fulfillment. I used to be a business admin and computer science major when I first started college, but found those subjects to be extremely boring.

According to some lists, nursing, accounting, and computer science or information technology are among the top 10 most popular majors in the U.S. Business administration is, by far, #1. There are way more nursing majors than art majors. These types of threads are based on a false premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment