Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:51 AM

242 posts, read 403,898 times

Advertisements

One point you always need to consider during an exit interview is that at some point in time you may want this company to give you a positive recommendation when you're looking for a new job. While federal laws cover a lot of what I can and can't say in regards to your employment with them but even their intonations and attitude when approached by a future employer can say an awful lot without saying anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 02:45 PM

439 posts, read 518,882 times
Well, upon further reflection (this morning)... I did not state this initailly but when I was first hired - the lady who hired me was not forthright about my pay and benefits (they really needed people...) and I was told on certain days I would be paid time and 1/3 (I was not), which made the low pay of this job more reasonable. She told me that I would have the same pay and benefits as the people hired two years ago (and that was not true) (Also, I think it would be impossible to say that this lady "made a mistake" as new policy has been in effect for two year, 'ya know...) I did not find this out (okay, I was not even looking at my paychecks...my bad) until I was on a date with one of my boss's bosses (that is entirely another story)

Sooooo, any time that an employer lies to get you to commit to a job - in my opinion - you owe them some immediate feedback, consisting of a two-week notice. (not outright quitting, I try to keep it classy...) *Do not reward them with your loyalty*

Sooo, if next job asks me - I will say "H.R. lady told me same pay and benefits as two years ago and once I had trained for the job, I realized she had lied to me just to get people" and hopefully they will understand...(at least that is the plan)

Irregardless if I think my manager is a bad manager, not getting the pay and benefits promised in interview puts an employee in a grumpy mood!!

Sooooo, basically all arrows pointed to ----> giving a two week notice. (Plus, I can now go on a second date with my boss's boss. it's win/win/win)

Old 11-20-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
One point you always need to consider during an exit interview is that at some point in time you may want this company to give you a positive recommendation when you're looking for a new job. While federal laws cover a lot of what I can and can't say in regards to your employment with them but even their intonations and attitude when approached by a future employer can say an awful lot without saying anything!
well, can I just have one of my boss's bosses recommend me? ..since he has a crush on me.

i'm serious.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We've all, at one time or another, had the desire to unload when leaving a job, telling them exactly how we feel and why we are leaving. I have actually done it a couple of times, and have to admit it felt good. However, in the final analysis, it really did no good. The people who were horrible still stayed there, and all that happened was that I was no longer there.

Now, I take the high road most times. I am changing jobs right now, and gave my two weeks notice a while ago. Instead of venting my frustrations, I simply said " My leaving has nothing to do with this store, I simply want to try a different challenge at this point in my life." I went on to tell them how well I had been treated (and I had, they took good care of me personally) and I thanked them for all that they did for me.

I feel better about not burning any bridges, and they told me if things don't work out they will always create a spot for me. Much better that way than getting a few minutes of satisfaction by unloading.

Don
Hmm, that is very interesting. thank you.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
One of our employees stated in her exit interview that her supervisor was the reason she was leaving the company, and explained why.

Upper management placed a black mark next to her name and basically stated: "We are so fortunate to have that negative person out of our firm!"
LOL, thank you for sharing this.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 PM

Just for the record , my last day was one for the record books - one of my co-workers cussed me out and then stormed off...I had had issues with her before, but I don't really take it personally because she does not get along with anyone. About a week or so ago, she actually hit one of my male co-workers. He was pretty upset, and told the manager that she needed to "work on her anger management issues" (of course the manager didn't do anything...add that to his long list of incompetencies.)

Old 11-21-2015, 12:37 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,300,292 times
Bring it up during your exit interview if HR asks other things you like to say about working with the company, do not say its the reason you're quitting. Bare in mind the data you're giving HR is to help them access possible future concerns, not personality attack.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:38 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,004,497 times
I don't see why not. Thats why most people quit their jobs today. Lousy, garbage management filled with people who shouldn't be there

Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,605,732 times
A second or third date does not make a romance but you are wise not to be dating someone in the same corporation. Were I you I would not bring up those issues unless directly asked, particularly with the beau. Brush it off, it is all below you now. Should their corporate counsel contact you about your former workplace's issues then spill the beans. Otherwise keep your mouth shut.

As one who in my youth who kissed a lot of frogs, assume nothing.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:04 PM

//subject change// Okay, I would like to update you all (not that anyone is following this anymore...) on what my district manager said (same district manager, different location) because I was a little surprised, ha ha.

for the record - I was so *stressed* stressed, stressed - what to say if she asks me about previous situation...Well, you know what? She doesn't ask me anything about previous work situ. (doesn't put me on the spot at all)... Then, at the end of my first day, in front of all of my peers, she says, "I have heard great things about (my name) from (name of previous manager) and (name of other manager - another location - who is really top notch, but I did not work under her directly)" HAH! Okay, I am 99.9% sure that my previous manager does not say good things about me...but for the sake of "team building" and (*key phrase here) "putting the past behind us and moving forward" she said that so I would keep working for them, IMO.

I am glad that she does not ask me anything about my previous manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment