Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:19 PM

254 posts, read 597,743 times

Advertisements

I have been at this job for over 2 1/2 years. They micromanage you too much. They also monitor your pc to see your activities. I have so much work there is no time for web surfing, shopping ect. They don't trust you. They are nit-picky. They will go out of their way to find stuff you do incorrectly, but not mention anything positive. I work hard for these people.
On top of that they are transforming up to a different level of service, so we have had to take online courses through our company on company time. These courses are made up by the company. This has been going on for months. We also have a higher volume of work now. I don't mind the work, but it is quite stressful with the work, the courses and micromanaging. It's become too much.
When do we get paid more for that? They gave us these business cards with our new title on it, but it doesn't mean anything. They are trying to push as much work on us as they can.
Meanwhile the turn-around rate has increased. I work with new people now. They don't care about the well-being of their employees.
I have been trying to look for a new job. It isn't easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 08:45 PM

367 posts, read 458,227 times
Keep your head up.
Sounds like you're doing all you can right now. Micromanagers are the worst, the day I start managing like that is the day I need to quit.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM

Thanks Jessica,
It's like they think we are robots that can upload the new info into our hard drive and go from there.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
The people that micromanage like crazy makes me wonder if they have any real work to do themselves

Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 PM

All these managers do is talk on the phone with us in a weekly session" one-on-one. telling us how to do things. My manager sits in another office in another state. The rest of the time they are looking at our work.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 PM

99 posts, read 129,614 times
Ugh, can't stand being micro managed so I promised I would never micro manage my Associates.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
I am absolutely not advicating micromanagement but just as an alternative prospective, look at it from a manager’s point of view – it’s their bum on the line.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:25 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Never saying anything positive about your work? Similar to where I'm working! I'm only dragged into the office if I overlooked something!

Poor management!

There's a saying in the Far East: If you want to enslave someone, you compliment them! Best way to get more productivity out of an employee!

Comparably, if everytime you cook for your husband, he never compliments you on a good dish you make, what motivation do you have for making a better tasting dish?

He compliments you everytime you cook something, that inspires you to cook up something better next time! Now you're enslaved! And now, you sorta wish, he hadn't complimented you!

Not once, in 14 years, has the Director of Nurses ever drawn me into her office to compliment me on my working with the residents! And? Then she wonders, why, when they're short of staff, I refuse to come in and work an extra shift!

Let her suffer!!!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Comparably, if everytime you cook for your husband, he never compliments you on a good dish you make, what motivation do you have for making a better tasting dish?

He compliments you everytime you cook something, that inspires you to cook up something better next time! Now you're enslaved! And now, you sorta wish, he hadn't complimented you!
The ex used to compliment every meal I cooked, regardless of how it actually turned out. The result was that the compliments became absolutely meaningless.
At work I would prefer that mgt notice and comment on those occasions when I excel at something, rather than pass out useless compliments left and right.

On the flip side employees who want or neeeed that pat on the head every. single. time. they accomplish some small thing drive me up the wall, what's up with the constant need for an attaboy for doing your job ? Reminds me of when my kids were little with the 'watch me mommy' thing going on.

As far as micro managing some of that may depend on the individual employee. I have a couple that I can pretty much turn loose and know they'll get the job done, a few that need some guidance to stay on track, and a couple that need to be kept under tabs almost constantly because of their tendency to try to get away with as much as they can. It's not a one size fits all situation for me.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:18 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Id swear we work for the same company!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment