Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times

Advertisements

Unrealistic bosses are not that unusual. Many will say, "Just do it!" when they demand the impossible.

Those who don't perform the actual task may imagine it takes no time at all to complete.

No different than those who never utilize a software system will be the ones to decide which program will be implemented.

Here's a good one: had a manager ask me how long it would take me to complete a new task. Never having performed the work before, I guesstimated a time frame. When I was able to finish the work in less time I was chastised for not being able to tell her upfront how long it would take. Sometimes you just can't win for losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Sounds like a no-win situation. My advice is to get a job elsewhere post-haste.

When you're at the top of you're game with years of experience behind you, it's relatively easy to switch jobs. But when you're in a bad situation and NEED a new job... it's much more difficult.

It's no time to be complacent. Time is of the essence.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:23 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
You'd think so, but we were speculating that this would happen 3 years ago, and we're still around. All signs continue to point towards a downward spiral, yet management always talks about the future long-term, such as the absurd software upgrade and getting new machines with 3 year leases.

I like the idea of describing the faults in the plan to the boss, but at the same time it scares me to death. It's way out of my comfort zone to do anything like this, especially with so someone so hard-headed. I'm not even convinced it would work on this guy. But it may be my only way to deal with this properly.
I would phrase it in a positive way, as though it were a project you actually intended to complete, just make sure the cost of implementing it is very clear. Like, this program will cost 1.2 mil to implement including the cost of hiring additional people, etc. and this segment of our business makes 200k a year, it will take us so many years to break even. Don't point out faults. Let the faults speak for themselves. You have to lead him to water and hope he figures it out on his own. If he chooses to ignore hard numbers, then there's nothing you can do.

In my experience, pie-in-the-sky managers would much rather you promise a miracle and fail, than to tell them the project is impossible.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 PM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
The "big boss" at my workplace has always been the type to expect way too much out of people with no clear understanding of how long things actually take, or what's really involved in getting the desired results. One of his biggest pet peeves has fallen into my lap and it's left me feeling very unsettled. I'll try to explain as best I can.

For over a decade, I used visual programming software to develop print jobs for this company. These days, we do far less printing, but these jobs are still in production and I'm still the one who maintains the programs -- in addition to a boatload of other duties. For years now, the boss has been complaining that the system we use to run the jobs is horribly outdated and needs to go. But to do so would require buying new software and basically rewriting every program I ever wrote -- and to do all this while keeping up with a daily workload that's already killing me.

On one level, he's right. The software and the operating system are ancient and technology geeks would probably laugh at us for still using them. But he can't seem to understand just how much time and effort would go into such an undertaking, and that with an ever-diminishing staff, this is near impossible. Not only that, but if this ever happens I would be putting in all this effort to maintain a part of the business that is constantly shrinking. (Some of the jobs would take weeks to reproduce and the end result would be mailed to 15 customers a month.)

So I don't know how to handle this. It scares me, because he's now expecting me to be the one to research new software and report back. And I'd rather be tortured than add this to my already enormous list of duties. (And yes, I am looking for a new job, but that's not going anywhere.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
You just answer "I have so much on my plate now and will get to it when and... if that is possible.

Your answer to him for everything should be this answer.

And try to do LESS for the company than you do now. Always do LESS so there is a comfort zone there, and when you do do a little more, they will appreciate it. Because companies always want more than they are given. Do less and throw a bone their way sometimes.

Also consider applying for a job somewhere else. This doesn't sound good health wise, eventually it will probably take its toll if no boundaries are set by you. And sometimes, people get fired for boundaries so job searching may be the safest, smartest option. Might be time to switch employers though I know you said that could be, or is, very difficult. Maybe even switch your line of work? not sure if that was considered.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:45 PM

1,092 posts, read 580,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
No different than those who never utilize a software system will be the ones to decide which program will be implemented.
This one drives me INSANE. My bosses do this all the time, whether it's printers or software. They would never dream of doing the work themselves, but they know better than the employees what the products are capable of. I've even seen one boss talk to the printer salesmen about what their employees should and should not be doing. She has never touched a printer in her life.

Back on topic, I am trying to find another job, but tend to agree with the person upthread who said finding a job out of desperation is no easy task. I keep thinking I'd have a much better time of it if I were unemployed, but that'll never happen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment