Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:18 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
And of course you had to be the one bashing millenials in this thread. Millenials this, millenials that.

Not all of us are bums. Get the hell over yourself with that crap.
It makes some people feel better. The price of their meds are going up and they're blaming it on those pesky millenials!

Old 01-01-2016, 03:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,885,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Gallup says the real unemployment rate is 12.6.
Every year I hire hundreds of seasonal workers over a multi state area (since '99) and see a direct correlation between the amount and quality of applicants and the Bureau of Labor and Statistics published rates.

Whether it's 5% or 12.6% it's much tougher to hiring the past 2 years.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:00 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
This generation has no work ethic. Millennials want it all without doing anything. They'll wise up when their parents finally throw them out of the house when they are in their 40's.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Just wondering what kind of people is expected for such low wages?

Most anyone with a high degree of work ethic and drive is not going to aim for a position stocking shelves in a grocery store. If a company, any company, wants top talent, they are going to have to pay for it.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:07 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Just wondering what kind of people is expected for such low wages?

Most anyone with a high degree of work ethic and drive is not going to aim for a position stocking shelves in a grocery store. If a company, any company, wants top talent, they are going to have to pay for it.

In prior generations, teenagers did these jobs, displaying terrific work ethics, for a low wage.

The same work ethic is displayed by each individual from their 1st to last job. It is a component of their character, their moral fiber. It is independent of the wage or salary earned.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
This generation has no work ethic. Millennials want it all without doing anything. They'll wise up when their parents finally throw them out of the house when they are in their 40's.

Not all, my godson does 55 plus hour weeks all the time at his salary exempt job, and he is on the track to tremendous promotional opportunities in the next few years. I know others like him, too.

It is true though that this generation has a high % as you described them. Accurately.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:41 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
'm surprised at people thinking the pay is low. I know in California back in the 80s, Safeway was offering $16/hr for checkers. Of course, you had to start as a bag boy first and many people couldn't afford to work a job like that while waiting to be a checker.

I worked in a copy shop in a rich town and when it came to hiring kids (maybe 18 to 24), it was a totally losing proposition. You have to figure, in this town their parents gave them sports cars and paid for their apartments and what these kids earned in a week didn't compare to the spending money their parents let them have. So we got kids that were basically still living at home and couldn't be relied on to even show up, let alone show up on time. One of them brought her dog to work once and couldn't understand why the dog wouldn't be allowed behind the counter.

I'm not really slamming millennials, but I have seen that people who depend on their jobs to live seem to take them much more seriously. Especially if not taking them seriously means you won't eat. With the kids, there were no consequences to screwing up and getting fired. But in the end, kids were all we had. Older people couldn't afford to work for us because our salaries wouldn't pay enough to rent a place to live. Basically in this town, the cost of living was so high, we were service people challenged, so to speak. I was able to work there only because I lived a 40 minute drive away out in the boonies in a dump. Plus I loved that job.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:45 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I wonder if Costco is on to something there?
Costco is one of the better stores to work at. I may be wrong, but aren't they employee owned, like Winco?

Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In prior generations, teenagers did these jobs, displaying terrific work ethics, for a low wage.

The same work ethic is displayed by each individual from their 1st to last job. It is a component of their character, their moral fiber. It is independent of the wage or salary earned.
Teenagers? Yea, back in my day also, but now days any worth the darn are;

-concentrating on extra activities for school, sports, or those extras to get them into a good college since everyone in the world is also competing to get into those colleges.
-one person income was more normal, allowing for mom to shuttle kids around to these jobs.
-having a car was much cheaper for a teen so they could shuttle themselves to the job.
-employers were actually excited about hiring teens, now they want anyone other than teens as having people available only in the summer and after school just does not work out in the cost-to-benefit ratio.
-there has been an explosion of things school related to assist with a career, even in the dumpiest of schools, back in my day, there was hardly anything unless it has vocational ag related, now they got business simulators, computer labs, etc.
-too many adults are competing, and they have the magical "full availability" meaning they can work at any time, unlike teens.

I have seen my own jobs I had as a teen dry up, no more do they exist for teens. The grocery stores are staffed by all adults, the farm fields by immigrants. I remember when teens were fully employed by farmers, that is where I worked, and often see teens working in the grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
'm surprised at people thinking the pay is low. I know in California back in the 80s, Safeway was offering $16/hr for checkers. Of course, you had to start as a bag boy first and many people couldn't afford to work a job like that while waiting to be a checker.
DO they pay that now? Even managers are not getting that. I know of none that get what you cited. I live in the DC area, and the starting pay is 8.25/hr. First line managers are getting 10.25/hr. A department manager $15.50/hr, which takes years to get to.

Quote:
I worked in a copy shop in a rich town and when it came to hiring kids (maybe 18 to 24), it was a totally losing proposition. You have to figure, in this town their parents gave them sports cars and paid for their apartments and what these kids earned in a week didn't compare to the spending money their parents let them have. So we got kids that were basically still living at home and couldn't be relied on to even show up, let alone show up on time. One of them brought her dog to work once and couldn't understand why the dog wouldn't be allowed behind the counter.
This is nothing new. Even more now days; why would a rich kid waste time with a dead end job? There are better things to do to advanced someone's future career. Despite what you or anyone thinks, no one thinks much of experience in some low end job compared to have a degree from Stanford or something. I would rather my kids put their energy into getting into Stanford than working some idiotic job.

Matter of fact, there are numerous people right here in the DC area working in low wage retail jobs, even though they graduated from college. Why? Because no one other than another low wage job views someone working a low wage job positively. You can even look on this forum and see the views of this quote "there must be something wrong with that person if they had to take a low wage job".

Quote:
I'm not really slamming millennials, but I have seen that people who depend on their jobs to live seem to take them much more seriously. Especially if not taking them seriously means you won't eat. With the kids, there were no consequences to screwing up and getting fired. But in the end, kids were all we had. Older people couldn't afford to work for us because our salaries wouldn't pay enough to rent a place to live. Basically in this town, the cost of living was so high, we were service people challenged, so to speak. I was able to work there only because I lived a 40 minute drive away out in the boonies in a dump. Plus I loved that job.
Well of course people will take a job more seriously if they depend on it. They will also take the abuse and **** poor managers also because they need a roof over their head, and the managers know it. It is no mystery why low wage jobs have such high turn over, it is not because they are low wage, it is because of the poor work conditions. People are just hopping from one job to another until they find the one with the least abusive workplace.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:40 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
And of course you had to be the one bashing millenials in this thread. Millenials this, millenials that.

Not all of us are bums. Get the hell over yourself with that crap.
Not all millennials are bums or lazy but a large portion are. Even the ones who "work" at places like grocery stores are often seen playing around on the clock socializing or playing on their "smart" phones. I'm almost 40 and i started in retail in the mid 90s and was taught when there weren't any customers you wipe down the counters, face the merchandise, sweep your area or find something to work on. These days the millennials once a customer leaves the line they jump right on the phone and start playing with it. I see it almost daily in retail stores, fast food and restaurants always playing on the phone and not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment