Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 06:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
In the town I grew up in (left long ago, thankfully), the opening of a new Home Depot was delayed 6 months due to a lack of applicants who could pass the drug test...
The grocery store I worked at did not drug test. #1 It's sort of expensive to drug test people who will be gone within a few weeks/month, and #2, practically everyone was on drugs there (even the managers!) so you would get no applicants. I have worked at grocery stores for 20+ years now, almost all of it on the night shift so I can provide some insight on these places.

Funny thing is a union Shop Rite just opened up not far from the store I worked. They start people out at $14 an hour, where the store I worked for capped people out at that.

Last edited by s1alker; 01-01-2016 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-01-2016, 06:52 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My cousin is a hiring manager at a rather large manufacturing plant. 7 of 10 applicants fail one of the following...drug test, background check or a simple math test.

Furthermore, 7 of 10 hired don't last a month due to lack of "soft skills"...showing up on time, calling out sick or simply not being able to follow instructions.

We've got a real mess on our hands.

With the recent legalization/decriminalization of marijuana that's going to come back and bite more and more people. Companies/businesses/governmental agencies don't seem to be changing their policies about passing a drug test.

Think long about unintended consequences.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Pay people a living wage.
And that is what exactly?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:40 AM

101 posts, read 141,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With the recent legalization/decriminalization of marijuana that's going to come back and bite more and more people. Companies/businesses/governmental agencies don't seem to be changing their policies about passing a drug test.

Think long about unintended consequences.
That would change if marijuana ever becomes legal on the federal level.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:42 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
I'd rather not be served by people who are blazed up on the job.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My cousin is a hiring manager at a rather large manufacturing plant. 7 of 10 applicants fail one of the following...drug test, background check or a simple math test.
Where I work we lose about that percentage of applicants, they KNOW about the drug test 45 days before it is run , after that almost all the people fired are fired for attendance.

Watching some of these people it makes you wonder how can they NOT know how to do simple math in their head, some have the reading level of a First Grader.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
Even if Marijuana is "legalized" Employers could still prohibit its use at whatever level they choose, just like Alcohol and Tobacco.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:09 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tired and angry View Post
What is it, why is this man who manages a large grocery store in a wealthy suburban community having so much trouble?
I grew up in such a wealthy community, Scarsdale, New York. I received early decision acceptance to an Ivy League school in December 1974 and was graduating in June 1975. During the interim period when grades really didn't matter I took a job at the local Gristedes supermarket and made the then minimum wage of $2.10 per hour. It was good extra money, maybe, after taxes, about $17 a week. And I got tips for helping the ladies out to their car with the grocery wagons.

Even then, one of my more snobbish friends said "Jim, why don't you do something that takes some intelligence and makes more money?" That person, also named Jim, was doing math tutoring for Freshman, Sophomores and Juniors. My response was that one way or another I was going to occupy my time and "make things happen." So in a nutshell the problem is that these kinds of jobs are "beneath" the children of educated, orderly families. It is far worse nowadays than in 1975. And then it was pretty bad.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:14 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Even if Marijuana is "legalized" Employers could still prohibit its use at whatever level they choose, just like Alcohol and Tobacco.

Yeah, if anyone thinks, in an age when nicotine traces can keep some companies from hiring you or give cause to fire, that companies will give a pass to weed that person needs to put down the pipe.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
I have a long time friend who works as a cashier for Jewel, an Albertson subsidiary in the greater Chicagoland area- same Union as Safeway. She's been with the company a few years and makes $8/ hr of which $1 goes towards union dues so in effect she earns less than Federal Minimum Wage. It's part time and schedules vary week to week which means it would be challenging to get another part time job. Fortunately, she does not need to work more hours.

According to her, senior cashiers have 20-30 years of experience and make $50-60k and get full time hours and benefits.

Baggers tend to be disabled and the store gets tax credits for employing them.

Turnover is chronic. How many people are willing to work for less than Minimum Wage when non- union retail and fast food in the area pays 12-20% more?

I have no idea why she continues to work at this company when she could make more elsewhere. Speculation on my part is that she has some serious self esteem issues and figures this is all she deserves.

Starting wage at my local Costco is $12 and change and provides benefits, subsidized insurance, vacation time, 401k and so on, to permanent part time employees. Most employees have been with the store since it opened and their wages have topped out. Turnover is negligible. While not unionized, it operates like a union shop. Seniority matters. Promotions come from within and across warehouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment