Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:43 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,357,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I search nationwide. Still haven't found one.
I find it surprising that you haven't found a database-related job willing to pay well into six figures. There's a great demand for PostgreSQL and Mongo developers right now. Unless you're tied to really outdated technology like Cobol or MS SQL Server, I can't believe you haven't found something if you're seriously looking in this particular field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Hehe cobol is in demand by large companies... they never upgraded out of it and everyone who learned it is retiring so they are paying well for who is left

Old 03-01-2016, 06:13 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,357,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Hehe cobol is in demand by large companies... they never upgraded out of it and everyone who learned it is retiring so they are paying well for who is left
It's needed but not as in-demand as people make it seem.

"cobol" Job Trends | Indeed.com

Old 03-01-2016, 08:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I find it surprising that you haven't found a database-related job willing to pay well into six figures. There's a great demand for PostgreSQL and Mongo developers right now. Unless you're tied to really outdated technology like Cobol or MS SQL Server, I can't believe you haven't found something if you're seriously looking in this particular field.
You're right, I'm a complete idiot with completely useless skills to boot. That's why I can't find anything. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:25 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,252 times
Sadly, ten years ago you could easily have found a job in DB. Things have changed, for the worse.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're right, I'm a complete idiot with completely useless skills to boot. That's why I can't find anything. Thanks for the heads-up.
I think that you're a bit harsh on yourself. And I think the previous poster was rude by implying you might not have attained skills beyond outdated technologies like Cobol or SQL Server. I see lots of db opportunities in the city.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:57 PM

240 posts, read 344,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I feel sorry for people who believed a science degree would be there salvation in the job world. I see many unemployed or marginally employed people in these fields. People who studied their asses off in these competitive majors and then end up working $15/hr contract grunt work in labs before getting laid off. I think you're better off majoring in liberal arts. A Philsophy degree is just as employable as a Biology degree and with the former you at least can party for your 4 years in college.
Biggest hoax? When Chinese students are hard working/studying in University, American students are in bars or hooking up chicks. That is the difference.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:07 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,252 times
Quote:
American students are in bars or hooking up chicks.
True, but even if they study hard and get a 4.0 GPA, it does not guarantee anything in this economy, depending on where you live. Ten years ago maybe, but not today, it's called CHANGE and it's for the worse!

There are now “missing” 15 million from the employment statistics today in 2016, and thus the overall economy. They are missing because they can't find jobs and that includes STEM graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment