Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 AM

785 posts, read 954,224 times

Advertisements

I just landed an excellent job that will challenge me in my career. I work in Cloud. The great thing besides nearly doubling my salary is that I work remote.

This is a double edge sword for me. Where I came from in my previous company was a Google-esque company. Very engaging and frenetic in a good way. You always had people around you. It was to a point it was almost invasive, but the company culture changed a few years back and now it's being a bit stagnant and has silos.

I still thing going in the office and having the option to work from home on days is great. I'm not sure about the 100% remote thing. I'm a bit scared that I will self isolate myself.I also think that I will be one of the younger guys there being in my early 30s. My last company much of the work force was under 35. So there may be a slight culture shift for me.

The company itself seems very engaging and still much into a start up mode and there will be travel. No doubt about the company. I just feel that remote work will make me go crazy and I won't be able to have a social life. I fear being alone.

What do you guys do to cope with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
I'm 100% remote now and have been for over a year. The coworker who lives closets lives over 300 miles away, and she's actually a sales engineer so is on the road 90% of the time. So... I'm completely remote.

I don't look to work for socialization. I adhere fastidiously to a rule that the computer goes off at 5:00 PM, and work/life balance takes priority over working overtime. I am strongly integrated into my chosen church: Worship, community activities, membership, social action, etc. That's my socialization.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
If I'd had the option of working from home v. working in the office I would have jumped at the chance.

Socializing at work was usually people tripping over each other to see who could come out on top by idolizing management.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:10 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
I have a prick, anal retentive, micro managing manager. Just took over after the last "laid back" boss left.
We are IT support and with the old manager, he could give a giant crap where you worked from as long as you were signed in "somewhere", accessible by phone and IM.

The new Turk wants to take away the 1 WFH day that we have and wants us physically in our chairs from 8-5 every day. Treating us like hourly wage earners. Says that all appointments, etc. must be scheduled on the WFH day. The floor that I work on is about 80% empty with other IT workers who have different managers. Some people never come in.

My manager is in a different location but sometimes pulls surprise visits on random days to see who is in their chairs. I would love the option to work from home a few more days but won't happen with this A-hole.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
We are IT support ... The new Turk wants to take away the 1 WFH day that we have and wants us physically in our chairs from 8-5 every day. Treating us like hourly wage earners. Says that all appointments, etc. must be scheduled on the WFH day.
We recently were acquired by a larger company, and a review of our support and quality assurance staff in light of recent IRS scrutiny about erroneously exempting such staff from overtime yielded a reclassification to non-exempt status, earning them overtime pay for every minute over 40 hours a week. If they're going to treat you as hourly, then they should pay you as hourly. (Reflexively, if they're paying you as hourly, then I'm not surprise they're treating you as hourly.)

Old 01-28-2016, 06:14 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Go in the office at least once a week. I worked remotely as well for 7 months and it drove me a bit muts to be isolated. I had some travel to clients sites but not enough to break the monotony of the work day.

If Indo it again, I will take a job where clients are in my state and I can go out of the office at least 40-50%. I hate being stuck inside whether it is home or office though office is worse.

I too have a micromanager that tracks every minute of my day, dirsn't allow remote work and I even havento make time up in case I had to take an hour off for a dentist appointment. However, if I had a work trip to a conference on a Sunday you bet your ass they wouldn't make it up to my by allowing me a day off during the week.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
It's best to have a social life outside of your work circle. Although my co-workers are ok, after spending 8+ hours of them I'd rather focus on my friends outside of work.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:41 AM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I'm remote 100% and use email, text, phone and Skype to socialize with other partners and co-workers. I grab coffee, breakfast or lunch with old colleagues, friends and family during the week.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
I work remotely until I am at a client site. I work in consulting and my firm believes in minimizing travel wherever possible, but sometimes the fact remains is that there are times during the engagements where it is just easier to be onsite. Last 18 months was rough with transcontinental travel at times weekly and then around 3times a month.

I am able to be social enough when I am traveling that I don't feel the need to be social with colleagues or others when I am at home. My firm is small enough my colleagues and I are in natural conversation with each other every other day. My boss and I are super close so we talk throughout the day via text or emails.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I work from home. Today, my friend will be coming over for coffee. Yesterday, I went to my friend's for breakfast. Tonight, I will be joining my friends for dinner. Last night, I went to Zumba with my friends. I don't see the difficulty in working alone 8 hours of a 24 hour day. Just go out and socialize for the other 8 waking hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment