Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 PM

920 posts, read 932,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
after pleasantries, look him in the eye and say "who wants to know".
that throws the onus back on him. If he babbles and blubbers, it's him being himself, nosy and bored.
If he says "well mike the ceo" sent me here to bla bla bla (or similar), you'll find out your answer.
Must be done at the precise moment when he thinks you are going to open up, though.
lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:13 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
I agree not to be combative. If this person is not your supervisor now they could be in the future. You also do not know who they are friends with.

We all have a few people like that and there is no single cookie cutter for personality or reason for this.

I would be polite but give them no real information. Usually it is safe to excuse yourself to go to the bathroom.

I would not speak about this issue with anyone at the office but I would keep my ears open for information on him, like if others consider him malicious or a pest. But do not talk negatively of him!

Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 AM

212 posts, read 335,628 times
This person could be influential and could ultimately be a huge ally of yours as you grow in the job - I would tread lightly and view it as a positive - work relationships can be very helpful for your career

Old 02-04-2016, 07:18 AM

761 posts, read 832,966 times
I'd ask him if he's writing a book and whether or not he will credit you for any success he has when he publishes it.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 AM

676 posts, read 726,157 times
I have a boss that always ask how long I have on a job im machining. I always tell him next week or somthing crazy. Im not an estimator, it gets done when it gets done. These type of answers lets them get the drift pretty quick.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I like the idea of asking your supervisor, "Hey, I was just wondering if you want me to report to Bob on my progress. Is he someone I'm supposed to give updates on my work? If so, no problem, if not, he's interrupting my work and I can deal with that myself without causing any problems. Just wanted to clarify if I was supposed to answer to him or not."

Your boss will either say yes or no. But he'll hear the part about Bob interrupting your work and be aware of that. And then he may conclude that Bob needs more work to keep him busy :-)

I like this approach.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
If you are new, maybe he's asking in case you need help with anything? Just say you'll let him know if you need anything from him.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:21 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I started a new job, and there's this guy in my department who comes to my cube and asks me about the status of my projects, what work I've completed, what processes I've learned etc. He isn't my manager, nor a manager at all in fact, so I don't see what relevance such information is to him. He doesn't ask these things out of casual conversation but rather in an interrogating fashion. I don't like it. I feel it is intrusive and creepy. So far I have accommodated his questions and been polite about it, but it is quickly growing old. How would you handle such a situation?
I'd ask my manager what to do.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
How would you handle such a situation?

I'd be vague in response to his direct questions, like "workin' on some stuff that [Boss] gave me to do." Then I'd ask if he needs a project to work on, or if he needs my help with his projects. If he says "No" then tell him that's why you thought he was asking about your own projects. Repeat that you'll be happy to help him out, and that he just has to ask for [Boss] approval.

He's probably an awkward social type. That kind of person doesn't pick up on social cues so you have to be rather brutal with him.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:
I started a new job, and there's this guy in my department who comes to my cube and asks me about the status of my projects, what work I've completed, what processes I've learned etc. He isn't my manager, nor a manager at all in fact, so I don't see what relevance such information is to him. He doesn't ask these things out of casual conversation but rather in an interrogating fashion. I don't like it. I feel it is intrusive and creepy. So far I have accommodated his questions and been polite about it, but it is quickly growing old. How would you handle such a situation?
Being that you are new, your options are limited and I would recommend just continuing doing what you have been. If you find an opportunity, you might ask your boss.

I have come across this type of person before. Their motive was to take credit for some of your work. Oh sure, not directly, slyly inserting into a conversation to the boss, "I was talking to e130478 about the rounding error in the checking accounts and it looks like it is in program XYZ". As you see, he didn't specifically take credit for anything but subliminally the message was sent. What I would do, and I do not recommend this approach, especially because you are new, but I would tell this guy a bunch of BS. Something completely different than what you are doing, something that is not even assigned to you. If your boss comes up to you and asks you about it, you will know what is going on. But, again, I am a brat and don't care if I lose my job. So, use your head.

I do know I wouldn't say something like "ask my manager". You are there too short of time to start alienating people. Just go with the flow as you have been and just see how it goes. I think the best strategy is to just say less and less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment