Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
There are plenty of jobs, but there's an enormous "tech gutter" that you can end up in if you aren't competitive enough to get hired as a real employee of a lucrative tech company like AMZN, GOOG, NFLX, MSFT, FB, etc.

If you do the following, then you can get hired at one of the lucrative tech companies:
  • Get a CS degree from a reputable program
  • Get a good GPA
  • Work 1 or 2 internships at one of the lucrative tech companies
  • Study the Crack the Coding Interview book and in general prepare to sell yourself as a young, bright, motivated individual who wants to do hands-on programming and knows how to throw around CS buzzwords like "Linked List" and "Hash Table" and knows how to throw around industry buzzwords/phrases like "Reinvent the wheel", "Quick and dirty solution", "Deploy", "Scale up", etc.
  • Apply at the lucrative companies during your senior year of college

It also helps if:
  • You're woman or racial minority
  • You're willing to work as a Program Manager

The tech gutter is when you don't have the qualifications necessary to get hired at one of those lucrative companies and so you take some 2nd-rate gig that then tarnishes your resume and burns you out. It's a self-perpetuating problem because the longer you don't work at a lucrative company, the less likely lucrative companies are to look at your resume in the future.

And yes, it's getting more competitive because there are over 1 billion people in India and almost all of them study IT-related fields and already have 10 years of experience when they come over here. Not just India, but also Russia and other Eastern European nations.
That's interesting. I didn't know that so much emphasis is placed on where you get your degree from. Question though...you mention lucrative companies a lot and I was wondering what it's like working in a small/medium sized company. Do you know anyone who has not worked in a lucrative company and enjoyed it? Maybe the lucrative companies offer a lot more benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a scam because the IT management won't take a paycut but others have to so it's easier to just outsource workers from overseas. Most IT workers have stagnant wages but not for management. Their salaries are allowed to go up while others stagnant which tells you the real story right now.

Majority of firms that I visit as a consultant have an extensive outsourcing program for all work except management roles. Most of the IT management are so removed from the work these days, they have to hire consultants like myself to help guide them with setting expectations and overseeing the immigrant workers.

My recent IT security gig at a financial firm, I've uncovered large mismanagement of security practices. The reason it's been mismanaged because the people in charge that are Americans are not competant workers. They are simply friends and buddies of IT management workers and got the job over qualified people and now they needed contractors like myself to come in and assist them.

It's pretty common in most sites that I go to that either the US IT workers are incompetent or completely removed from doing the work.

It's both fun and disheartening experience when I learned the number of US workers that used to do the job and have left a legacy and the new non-American workers taking over are just doing repetitive work and have no clue nor care about how to ensure best practices are followed.

These are companies that are managing your money, mortgage, your sensitive healthcare records, credit card info, credit history, and the list goes on and on. As a Security Expert I'm pondering if holding cash is actually safer than keeping my money at these mismanaged institutions.

Very insightful. Yes, I've seen a lot of that where workers' wages stagnate and management's keep shooting up. It's one of the reasons I get upset when people say that it's about supply and demand and I'm thinking no, it's about the people at the top making over 400 times the amount of their average worker. It's scary to see human beings treat each other that way.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Its complete BS. H1B1 visas are not taking jobs away from graduates, they are just lowering salaries for experienced STEM workers. Remember there was 230K applications, only 85K got approved, and they can only apply once a year. That is too much hassle for a junior developer.

The reason they do it, is because sometimes they need someone with very specific experience, and Americans with that experience is very expensive. Hiring a new graduate won't work because it will take ages to train him, and then he might leave. Don't worry about H1B1 visas. The main reason some IT graduates can't get work, is because they don't have any internships/projects.

Those companies have an average age of below 30, even the ones who work there will eventually move to less lucrative companies.

Going to those big companies will give you a head start, but the ones who go to smaller companies will build themselves up too. Companies are always interested in people with a lot of skill, no matter what company they worked for.

The ones who really fail, are the people who are unable to get a relevant job after graduation. For instance they might get stuck in some dead end tech support job.
Almost every post I see mentions getting an internship. I will definitely have to remember that! But is hiring an experienced U.S. worker/a new graduate really so expensive that one would rather pay for an H1B1 visa? I would think that they don't come cheap; somehow these workers must be getting paid much much less than their U.S. counterpart for so many companies to be willing to spend money for all the costs that come with this visa.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
That's interesting. I didn't know that so much emphasis is placed on where you get your degree from. Question though...you mention lucrative companies a lot and I was wondering what it's like working in a small/medium sized company. Do you know anyone who has not worked in a lucrative company and enjoyed it? Maybe the lucrative companies offer a lot more benefits?
Very few people are going to end up working for marquee names like Google, Apple, and Facebook. For the rest of us, there are plenty of companies doing routine business that need IT staff. A lot of those folks like their jobs. In fact, I wouldn't want to be at the prestigious companies because pressure is going to be that much greater.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
H1B1 visas are definately taking jobs away from STEM graduates in the US.
Apple, Microsoft, Facepuke all lobby the US gov't hard to increase the
H1B1 visa counts. There are plenty of unemployed, qualified graduates with CS and Engineering degrees from the US that are purposely overlooked.

By the way, these three wealthy companies could afford to hire less qualified graduates if they wanted to, but the US government isn't asking them to. These three companies are part of the problem in the US.
I'm more inclined to agree with this post because I've heard about so many people in this field struggling to find work. And on the topic of training, once upon a time we did this in the U.S. I don't understand the mindset around companies not wanting to train workers. Companies used to actually pay for their workers to get higher credentials.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:39 PM

102 posts, read 116,792 times
Quote:
Almost every post I see mentions getting an internship. I will definitely have to remember that! But is hiring an experienced U.S. worker/a new graduate really so expensive that one would rather pay for an H1B1 visa? I would think that they don't come cheap; somehow these workers must be getting paid much much less than their U.S. counterpart for so many companies to be willing to spend money for all the costs that come with this visa.
The fact is most american IT workers suck. Thus an employer might as well get an H1B. They will suck too, but be much cheaper. It only costs a company about $3500 do do the visa paperwork. No big deal when the yearly savings per employee are $50,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The problem is when employers expect someone to come in with 5 years of experience doing the exact same job in order to get hired, instead of offering, you know, training (assuming they have heard of that)...
I agree.

901 posts, read 747,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Very few people are going to end up working for marquee names like Google, Apple, and Facebook. For the rest of us, there are plenty of companies doing routine business that need IT staff. A lot of those folks like their jobs. In fact, I wouldn't want to be at the prestigious companies because pressure is going to be that much greater.
Agree, I see quite a few entry level IT positions come up regularly. The pay isn't always stellar, but it will build skills and build your resume. A good entry level position is a school district, the pay is close to corporate tech support level but the benefits are usually really good.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
I've done all of it. Poor companies, rich companies, small and large.

Some of the lucrative companies pay poorly, or expect 60-70 hr work weeks. Lucrative companies can suck to work for because while lucrative....that doesn't mean lucrative for you. And everyone wants that big company name on their resume.

Currently....small company not incredibly lucrative, but doing well seems to be the best work life balance for me, with mind boggling benefits. The work is enjoyable, and management seems to have a clue.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosken Powell View Post
STEM covers a lot of jobs, not just IT.

Note that this doesn't apply to medical doctors. They are technically STEM, and will always do well, but it's mainly because they are always needed, and have what amounts to a strong labor guild in the ACA.

Besides doctors, the only other STEM career that has any sort of long term career stability is actuarial work... which also is basically controlled by a guild.

I've thought about this too (careers that are likely to last and aren't easy to replace).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment