Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:51 AM

9 posts, read 23,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
This denial of a day off (despite you have that time coming to you and you're sick) is a symptom that you are on your way out, like it or not. Start looking for another job. The pink slip is imminent and apparently, has been for a while. Best you "found out" ahead of time.
Can you elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 23,672 times
Default M

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
No, of course not. Any reasonable person would be confused by your manager's response and answer.

And if you aren't feeling well today, It's perfectly understandable to not want o come in tomorrow and should be your prerogative to do so.

If my manager had that response, I would be disturbed. So no, you aren't thinking wrong about this at all, it's just confusing because your manager is having an idiotic response (unless there is history that we don't know about).

Best of luck.
She's a perfectionist. She wanted everything to be in perfect order.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
The denial of a day off (despite that you have that time coming, and you are sick) is an indicator that a pink slip is forthcoming. It's a symptom. I've seen this happen before. Start looking for another job - now! You're out, no matter what you do. Figure out why, later. You have more important things to deal with now.

(the site is not posting my comments immediately - sorry for the repeat.)

Old 03-24-2016, 10:54 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Sorry to hear about that.

It is probably best not to ask in advance for time off if you are sick. From the employer's point of view, you won't know how you will feel the next morning, so they may think you are faking it. It is probably best to call in sick in the morning, and just say, rather than ask, that you are not coming in.

You mentioned a meeting. Did you know about the meeting in advance? Is it a meeting where your attendance is important? If so, could you offer to come in late, go to the meeting, and then leave early?

Again, sorry to hear that this happened. Hope you feel better, and hope things work out for you better at work in the future.
Good points. It could be viewed that since it's Friday you want a 3 day weekend. How do you know that if you went home, went to bed early, took something like Echinacea that you wouldn't feel better Friday morning?

You don't announce in advance that you're sick and won't be coming in, you call in that morning and you're sick and won't be coming in.

The only thing you might say is that you don't feel well and leave early today, but say nothing about Friday.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
It could be anything. This is not the time to dwell on the "why." Just be proactive and start looking for another job.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 AM

275 posts, read 252,455 times
I agree. Look for another job. The boss's reaction was not ideal, although there seems to be a reason that they question your priorities. If I were to tell my boss that I was not feeling well today and may not be in tomorrow if I am not feeling better, he may think it is odd but I don't think he would tell me I needed to re-think priorities.

Have you given them a reason to think you are not committed to the position?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:28 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCotton View Post
Hello,

I've been at my job for about 8 months now and for the first time, I asked my manager if I could take tomorrow off because I'm sick today.

She gave me a nasty smirk and said: "Don't you know we have a meeting tomorrow? I highly suggest you reconsider your priorities". "You know what, let me look into it and get back to you on that".

I can't believe that although I'm sick, she was disgusted by the fact that I wanted to take a day off tomorrow. Even if she approves later today, I don't feel comfortable not coming in after her response. I'm also scared of asking for any days off from now on although I have over 100 hours of vacation for the year.

What should I do in this case?

Thanks everyone.
You are working in a hostile work environment. Start documenting right now. Write down what was said with dates and time. You may soon have her job because she is a bully.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCotton View Post
Hello,

I've been at my job for about 8 months now and for the first time, I asked my manager if I could take tomorrow off because I'm sick today.

She gave me a nasty smirk and said: "Don't you know we have a meeting tomorrow? I highly suggest you reconsider your priorities". "You know what, let me look into it and get back to you on that".

I can't believe that although I'm sick, she was disgusted by the fact that I wanted to take a day off tomorrow. Even if she approves later today, I don't feel comfortable not coming in after her response. I'm also scared of asking for any days off from now on although I have over 100 hours of vacation for the year.

What should I do in this case?

Thanks everyone.
When asking for a sick day..do it that morning. Anything earlier is both unneccessary and raises suspicion. Its a sick day, people get sick. How can that be frowned upon ?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you're sick, TAKE OFF AND GO HOME!

If you're sick the next day, CALL IN SICK THAT MORNING!

I'm also confused why your asking for a sick day tomorrow when you said you're sick today. Do you plan to be sicker after you leave and not get better?

And, I'm also confused by the title of the thread, nowhere in the posting did your manager say you can't take the day off! All your manger did was mention the meeting and hinted of it's importance (I would too if your planing an advance sick day but not too sick to take off now) but still said they will look into it; That is not a denial of the day off!

What is your problem? Stop yelling at the OP.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,312 times
She probably thinks you just want to be off on Friday. Asking for tomorrow off because you're sick today? Who does that? How do you know you won't feel better tomorrow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment