Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:16 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times

Advertisements

14 hours at a bar during a festival period. It was non-stop work.

Seeing a lot of wild hours here, don't believe 'em. Anything beyond 16 hours is impratical. The human body requires regular sleep in order to function reliably. Unless you are under the influence of powerful stimulants, you will be effectively useless at work. And even then you would require additional sleep. Yes, I do have experience with this kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
36 hours..........derailment.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:17 AM

269 posts, read 134,646 times
16hrs.

I used to regularly work 16hr shifts at my current employer.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:49 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
48 hours straight.

Father owned a construction company and he and I were in Florida at the beach working one early fall when a hurricane scheduled to go the opposite direction turned around and headed towards us. The weather man said we had 3 days until landfall.

At the time we had the entire 25' side of a house torn out and the roof held up with temporary bracing while we rebuilt it. We worked 48 hrs straight to rebuild it, replace the section of the metal roof above it, install the hurricane shutters, secure everything, clean up, and get the heck out. It was a frantic dash to get finished so we had to work straight through. Don't think I've ever been that exhausted in my life.

We routinely worked 12-13 hr days though, since we did construction during the day and worked in his cabinet shop at night.

The second longest shift I've worked was for a man installing seamless gutter and remodeling.

We started at 6am and worked until dark. At dark, we went to a photography studio and remodeled the inside of it until around 10pm. 16 hours per day. I worked this schedule for almost a year. We did only work 12 hrs on Saturday (didn't remodel at night) and he tried to limit Sundays to half days. I held out for about a year and had to leave. My body couldn't handle it anymore.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:02 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
14 hours at a bar during a festival period. It was non-stop work.

Seeing a lot of wild hours here, don't believe 'em. Anything beyond 16 hours is impratical. The human body requires regular sleep in order to function reliably. Unless you are under the influence of powerful stimulants, you will be effectively useless at work. And even then you would require additional sleep. Yes, I do have experience with this kind of thing.
Not all people require a lot of sleep. We function just fine.

My father and I have a sleep disorder. If I'm lucky I may get 3-4 hours of sleep per night. I try to force myself into 6 hours on weekends. The rest of the time I am wide awake and restless. Dad's philosophy is that if he is awake he might as well be making money so he works until really late at night so that the few hours he gets is before it's time to go back to work the day job.

I've been on 12-14 hr days for two weeks now. I haven't done that in a while so the first two days were kind of rough, but it feels pretty normal again now. I went in at 5am yesterday, got off at 6:30 to take my son home from basketball practice. Sat at practice from 7pm-8pm, went home and washed the dishes, washed and folded two loads of clothes, swept the house, and gave our 3 dogs a bath. I finally sat down about 10pm. Went to bed at 11pm. I was back on the road at 5:15am this morning.

As long as I can get at least 4 hours sleep I'm ok. I actually feel better when I am working. When I sit down I get miserable. I can't fall asleep so I end up laying around with my eyes closed trying to force it and eventually getting up and finding something else to do.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:07 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
22hrs straight is the longest I've gone in one shot.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,282 times
12 hours as a police records clerk...Christmas Day, 1982...after the BLIZZARD...police cars were snowed in...snow plows were snowed in...we had to walk to nearest large street to be picked up by an officer using their own 4 wheel drive, using portable radios...and all day long folks called to complain that their street hadn't been plowed....

hahahaha....what boring lives most people lead who only think about themselves....

Old 12-09-2016, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,282 times
I recall back in 2011 that nurses worked 3 days in a row....24 hours a day for 3 days....I think that is not only INSANE, but Criminal also....the human body will make mistakes when its very over-stressed...I think interns still have to work those horrible hours...not smart....consider the poor patient who gets the overly tired dim-witted, and I don't mean uneducated, doctor or nurse treating them. WHY do that to those responsible for the health and well-being of very ill people...especially in the emergency room?

Old 12-13-2016, 12:21 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
One year I worked at a 24/7 factory and Christmas Eve was on a Monday ( 2 paid days for Christmas)

The plant did shut down for holidays and paid double time on Sunday.
My schedule was 3-11 and since my 11-7 replacement was going on vacation,I was asked to work 12 hours to cover half his shift as they started shutting down for the holidays.

I told the boss I would stay until 7am and cover my replacements entire 11-7 shift because I got double pay but they would have had to pay him double pay if he was there.

So, at that good UNION plant I worked 16 hours of double pay ending at 7am December 24.

I made 32 hours wage in just that night.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:17 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Back in the 1990s, worked lots of OT on a multimedia presentation. The only PC we could use for the task really wasn't up to it, ran very slow and crashed often. That week me and the other guy on the project worked late every night 3-6 hours, then all day Saturday and Sunday. My timecard that week had 37 hours of overtime plus the normal 40. It was a nice big paycheck I got in a few weeks...but taxes took a huge chunk of the OT pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment