Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
It's really sad that these Bully's aren't dealth with correctly.
As long as the work gets done, what do they (HR, management) care? Just go along to get along...same as ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's an odd thing to me that bullies exist in professional workplaces. I can see it at retail or fast food or something but this is happening in corporate america? I've encountered lots of horrible workers, bad bosses etc, but no bullies.
It happens. It is more prevalent now than ever before in my opinion. As a society, we find more things "OK".
Road rage is expected and people don't think twice about assaulting someone through facebook or other (anti)social media. We are very passive toward outward displays of aggression.

Last edited by thunderkat59; 03-30-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
It's really sad that these Bully's aren't dealth with correctly.
As I mentioned, if HR acknowledges it, it opens them up to lawsuit, so they make efforts to cover it up on their end. In my case, they called me into the office to respond to an email I wrote threatening legal action. They said their "official" verdict is that is a personal matter and there is nothing for them to intervene for-- That is how they are going to respond to any legal action. The Bully has three episodes requiring HR last year and HR still turns a blind eye. Sickening. I have more animosity toward this HR department than I can for words for. This is Kentucky though, its not the financial district in NYC or a tech business in Seattle or something. Lots of very 'provincial' people here. Just a different world.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Bell View Post
This. While it's sometimes true that "bullies prey on weakness", it's also true that weakness invites bullying. We're degenerating into a nation of government-dependent snivelers. It's also dangerous to buy-in to the idea that there are "bullies" and "victims", just like in sexual harassment, the best intentions can go very, very wrong. I don't need to tell a story; everyone has a story about how the "victim" is not always as blameless as they try to make themselves appear.

No that is not true. Has nothing to do with bullying but can be used as part of the excuse to blame the victim. Just part of how a bully magically turns things around to become the "innocent" and turns their target into the trouble maker in management's eyes.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:21 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Bulling never ends, they bad part, they don't understand they are being bullies. Most are just alpha males being alpha males. He is not your friend, ever.. In the background you need to document every incident, facts, date, pictures. One day it come in handle especially if the other side has no documents, just keep quiet and collect facts. Hr cannot help you, they only work for the corporation
I beg to differ. The bullies are the beta-males who are masking their own insecurities by trying to punk other people. I like to bully the bullies. A bully won't bully somebody who can kick their ass.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

It can go beyond that to include sabotaging work, leaving someone off important email chains, misrepresenting them to others, asking questions that can't be answered without making the victim look stupid in front of others. Bullies are very good at making themselves appear as angels to everyone but the victim. "I asked Charlygal to prepare the presentation. What, didn't you read my email? Everyone else got it and came prepared. I'm so sorry to have to apologize for her again; I'm sure she'll be better prepared next time. <aside: I'm working with her, but I don't know if she's ready for this level of responsibility.>"
But in the same scenario if the speaker was correct that the email was sent and the recipient accidently or purposely ignored it has the speaker done anything wrong or is it "Charlygal" who acted incompetently and is simply making a very lame excuse and pulling the new "Bully Card?"

One of the early posters here has asked for specifics regarding what some see as bullying but is getting no answers except for one who objects to working overtime.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I beg to differ. The bullies are the beta-males who are masking their own insecurities by trying to punk other people. I like to bully the bullies. A bully won't bully somebody who can kick their ass.
My Bully is a 300 lb women. She hates the world.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Some bullies have a skill set that their supervisor is deficient in. The supervisor puts up with the bully in order to get them to handle task they are quite up to speed in. The best way I deal with a bully is to let them think I don't need this job.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:57 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
HR is not your friend.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
HR is not your friend.
Cant be stressed enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment