Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,261,693 times

Advertisements

Hi All. So I knew something has been brewing, but the boss puts me on the worst possible project in the worst possible department. Only 1 rung up the ladder from where I was.
My living situation is changing and I.ve just about had enough. How do I buy some time, bluff my way a bit, and also, should I let HR know and ask what recourse I have? All just to buy some time while I get the gumption to bail, on my current job and current living situation?
I know the usual advise about going to HR but I am so hurt I really don.t care. I am venting and confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,151 times
What? You Want to go to hr bc you got put on a project you don't like? If you were not assigned to the project, someone else would have been, right? Would that person also have reason to go to HR?

Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,946,333 times
well the only option i really see is to work on the project (which buys you your time) until you find a new gig.

Few questions: what kind of work do you do? Are you FT or contract? What makes this project so "bad" versus others? We need more detail in order to tell you if you have any recourse; but in general the answer would still usually be no and here's why - unless your job is union (and thus governed by a contract) most of us are "at will" employees and the employer has the right to change job duties, add new ones at any time as long as the work isn't essentially the work of a higher paying job (then you would have some recourse).

Old 06-28-2016, 06:09 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Definitely go to HR and let them know of your situation.

Sounds like an extremely stressful job environment hazardous to your well being.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
Can we get some background on why the project is bad and why you? Options I see is the project is a tough one, but important so you were given a chance to excel and demonstrate you ability for promotion. Or it could be a no win project and you're the sacrifice. The question is which one. The answer to that would help determine your future course.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,134,303 times
I don't understand what HR can fix in this situation. They would view all departments equally, so the OP's view that one is "bad" will not be well-received there.

In general, if you don't like your boss's decision, you take the issue to the boss's boss. But doing an end-around is risky to your career, so you'd better be prepared to make a strong case that includes some benefit to the company that would come from reassigning you.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:57 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,293,766 times
It's "1 rung up" and you don't like the project. I am not seeing what the problem is.

I don't spend 50 hrs per week doing things I looooooooooove. I do things to get paid.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:08 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,261,693 times
They tried putting a co-worker on project "B": she has now transferred to a different division of the massive Heathcare company I am speaking of. The other lady was asked to assist on Project "B" has been running around cussing for a week straight: they both have a few years under their belt: myself only a few months. That co-worker (who knows the biz inside and out) basically threw me under the bus, refused to assist with project "B" and therefore, I am the sacrificial lamb.
There are also 10+ temps who could easily do this project but, alas, I am the chosen one.
What upsets me is knowing all this was discussed without me, and the boss springs this on me. The one person on project "B" is the only person with whom I.ve had issue in the recent past. She went berserk accusing me of putting on scented hand lotion, made a huge scene, and will not speak to me -not a peep-even after I told her it wasn.t me. And it wasn.t.
So I knew Suburbanguy would weigh in which I welcome of course, but I am surprised at your snippiness to me today.
All I know is both coworkers who are on project "A" with me currently complain about the absurdity and tediousness (sp) of project "B", along with the pleasure of working alongside the employee I lovingly call "Vegetable Lasagna" who blew up over the hand lotion.
Oh... and also... boss sided with lasagna regarding said hand lotion. $&÷% my life!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,051,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I don't understand what HR can fix in this situation. They would view all departments equally, so the OP's view that one is "bad" will not be well-received there.

In general, if you don't like your boss's decision, you take the issue to the boss's boss. But doing an end-around is risky to your career, so you'd better be prepared to make a strong case that includes some benefit to the company that would come from reassigning you.
Solid advice

Old 06-28-2016, 08:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,417,000 times
OP based on a friend who was put in a similar situation, I'd say you are probably being screwed if they are putting you on this project. My advice is to Not take it to heart and make sure you have some stress relief outside of work. When you get put on a doomed-to-fail crap project, this is stressful as it may affect your performance review, pay and future promotions.

If the people at work at not sympathetic to you, going to HR may not help. What I'd recommend is to ask for as much help and as many resources as you can get and delegate, delegate, delegate. If there are risks to success, document them and communicate them to the boss in a professional way and ask for help...because you want the project to succeed .

It sounds like you got a promotion though so congratulations! By getting other people involved, the project may actually work, the people you work with may not suck as much as you thought...or by asking them to do certain tasks, you will find out Just How Much they DO suck, and be able to tailor your expectations. Remember to delegate so you can share the success (or eventual blame) whenever the project is supposed to be completed. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment