Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:59 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why you think you have a grievance - you were given a project by your boss to complete - what makes you think that you are only supposed to work on projects that you like? Just do your job to the best of your ability like an adult, show that you are interested in taking on more responsibility and/or more challenging assignments (if that is the case), and stop sniveling over something you simply don't want to do.

Last edited by Praline; 06-29-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:32 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Hi All. So I knew something has been brewing, but the boss puts me on the worst possible project in the worst possible department. Only 1 rung up the ladder from where I was.
My living situation is changing and I.ve just about had enough. How do I buy some time, bluff my way a bit, and also, should I let HR know and ask what recourse I have? All just to buy some time while I get the gumption to bail, on my current job and current living situation?
I know the usual advise about going to HR but I am so hurt I really don.t care. I am venting and confused.
I don't understand why you're upset...at least you aren't stagnant or being demoted...

Old 06-29-2016, 05:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Presumably SOMEONE has to do this project and it sounds like you're near the bottom of the food chain. Bust your butt and get it done so you can move on to something else.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:13 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The rules of engagement at any job are to be competent and get the work done that is assigned to you on schedule and with high quality. If you want to advance, you also do more than that. You work self-directed and identify & solve problems before anyone else becomes aware that they're a problem. You want the reputation of being the competent go-to person in the organization. That person gets the raises and promotions. They get the hard projects which doesn't always mean they're the best projects. It means they're the the project that requires the best talent.

I'm really senior. I've always taken the attitude that no job is beneath me. If something isn't getting done that some low level person could do but there is no resource available to do it, I step in and shovel harder than anybody else. I'd never dream of running to HR that my delicate feelings are being trampled because I'm being asked to do something I don't want to do or that I think is somehow demeaning.

If you're out networking and interviewing where everybody knows you're the key person and the go-to for all the hard things, you have a lot better luck being considered for the "good" jobs instead of the lousy ones shoveling manure.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:37 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
Let me add more info. For example only, lets say there are 3 layers to the department: Projects 1 2 and 3 (#1 largest, most visible and the life-blood, 2 being which one I am on now, and #3 being the dullest, soul-crushing one -woman department I described in my second post). I am on Project #2 currently and am being told I need to go onto to Project #3. No financial gain but I wouldn.t expect that.
Important point I didn t make earlier:
A few weeks ago the CEO of the comapany sent out an email to all the Project #1 people that Project #3 needed IMMEDIATE assistance, and would someone like to take the position. It was met with only lukewarm reception. No one volunteered. No one. Another email was sent stating that a person will be plucked out of the department and put onto Project 3 if no one volunteers. Weeks passed. A few people were mildly interested but no one, out of 30ish people volunteered to move. No other mention was ever made, until yesterday.
Mind you, we have tons of temps running around who could be assigned, folks that have less time at the company than I, but no. The scarlet letter is on my back.
Thanks for reading. My lease ends in August also.
Now can anyone see my angst? Should I call it quits and go home (8 hour drive) and pack my grip?
:?)

Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Loser projects only happen in clip art and on TV dramedies and in 100 hour work weeks and in stock photos.
What, you've never had those where you work? I've had a couple in my career. Various reasons why, but sometimes the boss is playing politics and you are just collateral damage in their game. I've been assigned projects where the boss intentionally wanted the project to fail. Of course that happens. In this case it was because project C was in competition with his personal pet project F and was championed by a department that was his nemesis. His stated goal was for C to fail so he could prove F was a better product. He actively sabotaged the team he assigned, cut funding, and then totally ignored the project. Of course that was his mistake. Since we all had nothing to lose and no one in management to stop us, we sort of redefined the project, actively sought out customers and pulled it off. Were we rewarded? Of course not; we had embarrassed him by doing what he said couldn't be done. All of us suffered in our careers and had to move one elsewhere. But it was worth it. Because today, 20 years later, the F technology he championed is dead along with his organization and current technology is a derivative of C, though provided by our competitors.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
<quote>A few weeks ago the CEO of the company sent out an email to all the Project #1 people that Project #3 needed IMMEDIATE assistance, and would someone like to take the position.</quote>

Well, here was a chance to for the CEO to learn your name and be grateful for your stepping up, and you passed on it like everyone else because it wasn't going to be fun or whatever you said. That actually makes sense, but ...
This was a chance for you to have permission to directly communicate to the CEO. That's a rare opportunity.

When given lemons, try to make lemonade. Or as in my case, I used them for the Cuba Libre I having right now.

Is there any way you can back up and reply to the CEO's request and (1) tell the CEO that you're 100% on board and (2) ask what in particular you could do to make this a success in his/her eyes?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:41 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Oh... and also... boss sided with lasagna regarding said hand lotion. $&÷% my life!
Sounds like you're miserable. Might as well wear the most miserable citrus-smelling hand lotion there is and watch Rome burn.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:16 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
If it was me, I'd cheerfully accept the assignment my boss gave me and do the best damn job I could on the "lousy" assignment. Attitude is important.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
remember the line under responsibilities - "other duties, as assigned" - are present in a vast majority of job descriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment