Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:53 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Sorry you have home-life issues also stressing you...that seems to be compounding things.

You are new at the place. This is your OPPORTUNITY to take a tough or unpleasant assignment and show you can do it without whining or complaining or running to HR which is a horrible idea fyi and hopefully your attitude about all this is driven by your other stressors.

When my boss asks me to do X, I do it without complaining. Even when it's because someone else screwed up and having that attitude has greatly helped my career over the years.

My father managed a factory for a number of years and he gave me that advice. He had employees that would never help out in a crunch, complained about everything and others that were always happy to pitch in and make things work. You can guess whom got raises, promotions, leeway when they needed it if something came up in their personal lives and yes....if there had to be layoffs....the people that were helpful non-complainers typically came out in good shape.

I think your home-life stress is causing you to possibly make some bad work decisions. Sorry again, I've been there myself. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You should sue for pain and suffering. Your feelings are worth millions of $$.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
One rung up sounds like a promotion to me. Take this cruddy project and grab it by the coin purse, and own the hell out of it. That's the key to getting up that next rung.
Exactly. You got promoted and you are mad that it is "only" one rung up the ladder? That's how it works! That is literally how you climb a ladder: one rung at a time.

Unless this project puts you in physical peril or requires you to break the law, here's what you do--your best! Work is filled with projects that are dull or tedious, particularly when you are first starting out. If your team member is actively undermining you and your shared goal by being a weirdo who refuses to speak to you, go to your boss. Don't approach that conversation with a tattling sort of mentality like "Darlene is awful and refuses to speak to me." Instead come at it in a consultative way: "Hey boss, can you help me figure out a way to work more effectively with Darlene? I keep hitting roadblocks in communication."

Then you throw yourself into the project. Make it your personal mission to make the initiative a success. Do this for a minimum of 6 months. Maybe you will be the one to turn around the project, which would be a huge resume builder and make you look fantastic. Maybe your effort will get noticed and you will be pulled away from this and put on something you like better. If you are still in the same place after 6 months of real, sincere effort, then you can set a meeting with whomever is behind this project at a higher level. Sit down with this person and explain why the project is not succeeding and what can be done to fix it. ("Doing tasks A, B, C, D, E, F G, H, I, J, and K for each entry takes X man hours, costing the company $Y in wages alone per entry. There is a software available for $Z to automate this process that would cut wage costs to $Q per entry, breaking even at N entries." or whatever problem/solution applies to your situation.)

Now if the project is really just tedious and unexciting rather than afflicted with some fatal flaw, then you just suck it up and do what you are being paid to do. You said you have only been in this field for 3 months; entry level jobs are rarely thrill-a-minute endeavors. As you gain more skills and more exposure in your line of work you will continue to advance into higher-level, more-interesting roles.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
HR has no place in deciding who gets given what project or job. That is up to the department manager.

The department managers job, is to make the decision which person would be the best fit to a particular job, and that is apparently what has happened. If the depart manager decides the place you are assigned, it is your job to do the best you can on the new assignment.

You complain it is only one step up. One step up, would sound fantastic to people that have not gotten one step up the ladder.

Go the HR and complain, and if you don't make the change, forget ever getting a promotion, bonus, etc. You will be put on the trouble maker list, and you will never get moved up or your job improved.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times
Am I the only one who reads this as <" how can I milk the system and take advantage of my employer while I grow a set and quit?"

Just sad !!!

Old 06-29-2016, 02:08 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
several times I've been given crappy projects and tasks that nobody else wanted to work on. every time it turned into a success for me and a stepping stone to promotion. it often happens that someone new is given horrible assignments. I welcome these because it gives me an opportunity to demonstrate professional behavior; and when you succeed it is not only the success of the task or project, but everybody sees that you succeeded in a situation that no one else did. That is huge. It is recognized. It is golden.

My current job, 2 months after I was hired I was assigned to the team that no one else would work with. And yes it was because the supervisor did not like me and she felt this was a way to put me in my place. I did what I was hired to do: act like a professional, improve efficiency, set up systems, establish standard operating procedures, troubleshoot problems, and maintain a high level of customer service. Before you know it our team was getting compliments, people started whispering "what happened?", and when our area was filled with laughter and art and quilts and joy, it got noticed, and I was asked to apply for a leadership position.

make it work for you.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-29-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 03:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Project A is exciting and hotly desired
Project B is mediocre but steady work
Project C is stinky like a rotting albatross and now your name is on it

Next month/year, the Roulette wheel will spin again, and everybody gets new assignments.

Welcome to life in the bush leagues. If this isn't really the kind of work you like, you're not good at it, maybe you need to figure out where you'd be a better fit.

Sorry if you are having trouble in your home/personal life - maybe that's your #1 and you need to fix it.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:09 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
When life gives you lemons. . .

Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Definitely go to HR and let them know of your situation.

Sounds like an extremely stressful job environment hazardous to your well being.
Yes, OP should also tell HR that he hates his boss. That will be helpful.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Hi All. So I knew something has been brewing, but the boss puts me on the worst possible project in the worst possible department. Only 1 rung up the ladder from where I was.
My living situation is changing and I.ve just about had enough. How do I buy some time, bluff my way a bit, and also, should I let HR know and ask what recourse I have? All just to buy some time while I get the gumption to bail, on my current job and current living situation?
I know the usual advise about going to HR but I am so hurt I really don.t care. I am venting and confused.
First off - RULE #1... HR is NOT your friend!
They are there for one purpose and one purpose only: To ensure that the company doesn't do anything against the law to its employees and vice versa.

Do NOT... repeat - Do NOT approach HR with your sad story as THEY DON'T CARE... They'd be conducting an interview with your replacement before your box was packed to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment