Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:40 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, it's getting harder to retire, pensions are becoming a relic of a bygone day (except for the CEO's and the public sector). Social Security and Medicare are in trouble. Do you think we should plan on working till we die?

And, if you do agree that this is more likely, what career paths would be the most viable for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:53 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
not at all. People just need to realize they need to save for their own retirement and not count on things like social security. Social security was never meant to be anyone's sole income in retirement anyway. Working longer will probably continue as people are living longer anyway. Retirement is really on everyone's on list of "to do's" - either you save and plan to retire at an age you want; or you chance it and hope you can scrape by.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:30 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I think people have grander and grander ideas of what retirement "should" be - fueled by investment companies who want to get rich from the fees they charge. You can figure out your own low expense retirement investments and by living wisely and frugally do pretty well on relatively little money, especially if you're willing to relocate to a low COLA.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
You say that like everyone had pensions before.

Geez, if you don't have one, at least plan to retire without one. For someone who complains so much, you put very little effort into improving your own situation

Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I don't know the answer, and I'm sure that there even is one. Working until we die would be tough in a nation that does NOT like to employ older workers. And setting money aside from paychecks is damn near impossible for people and families on lower incomes.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Neither of my wife's parents (now deceased) had pensions, my parents are managing on only SS and savings now, and were able to buy a house at age 68 & 70, still managing 13 years later. It's matter of managing your money while working, and living in an affordable place. While my wife and I will both have pensions and SS, plus 401k, we still plan to move to a lower cost area when we retire and take advantage of the equity in our home to pay cash for a smaller one.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM

551 posts, read 583,026 times
I don't know how old you are or what your background is but yes, a good strategy would be building a solid career in the public sector. LE (police) has entry requirements but if you have a clean background, 60 college credits and are physically fit (and have the right temperament, don't mind night shifts, etc.) that's an option with 25 year service and out in some places, and good officers are wanted pretty much anywhere. Also the pay is solid middle class, but if that's all worth the enormous stress, that's your call.

Other public sector jobs are potentially iffy. Some may be phasing out pensions or expecting employees to pay more in, etc. Budgets are getting crunched and with no guarantees as to what the economy will do, I would expect this to be one of the first benefits to get sliced if things get rough.

Outside of those kinds of jobs, I don't think there's any distinct career path that will give you an advantage. It's going to depend on what companies offer, and hopefully you can get in somewhere that offers at least to match some of what you put in. That's a good deal nowadays and pretty common at least in my area. (typically match 3-5%)

Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Many people retired without pensions before today. My father ran his own business as a self-employed blue-collar job.

He never had a pension. He had his own home and retirement savings, when he retired and handed off his old customers to another relative in the same trade.

Last edited by move4ward; 04-07-2016 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Let's face it, it's getting harder to retire, pensions are becoming a relic of a bygone day (except for the CEO's and the public sector). Social Security and Medicare are in trouble. Do you think we should plan on working till we die?
Pension are not all that common in the first place... and plenty retired without one.

The only people I know who worked until they died are the ones who died young.

Sounds like you need to plan better, OP!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Learn to sell and then you have the potential of unlimited income or high income.
For those who say there are no opportunities there are those who have found them or created one. Grant Cardone TV | Whatever it Takes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment