Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you leave soon, I'd plan on staying at the next job for a couple of years if possible, then leave this six month job off your resume.
This actually isn't a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM

134 posts, read 103,116 times
I just left a very similar type environment. Bottom line is that she won't "suddenly" like you and/or trust you for more work. There is probably not a thing you can do to change her opinion of you, and as someone said being extra cheerful/helpful sip I'll probably make you seem more annoying to her so read the signs and plan your exit. It's not fair but it happens.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Did the top manager give you any idea why you were not reassigned to the person you were initially suppose to report to? Did Manager A know they were going out on medical leave during the hiring process?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoodoo View Post
I just left a very similar type environment. Bottom line is that she won't "suddenly" like you and/or trust you for more work. There is probably not a thing you can do to change her opinion of you, and as someone said being extra cheerful/helpful sip I'll probably make you seem more annoying to her so read the signs and plan your exit. It's not fair but it happens.
It's a very small office with swamped staff. Just "getting it" is key. No training mechanism in place. A catch .22, to be sure, but was your environment like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Did the top manager give you any idea why you were not reassigned to the person you were initially suppose to report to? Did Manager A know they were going out on medical leave during the hiring process?
The top manager did not indicate why I was being reassigned in the first place. A new, higher-level (between my level and mid-level management) person started on staff shortly after that meeting that reports exclusively to manager A. I was simply told that I would be working for manager B from there on out, and there has never been any explanation of why I was not reassigned back to manager A.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You have no idea much of a "lightbulb" this is to me. I need to print it and use it as a daily reminder. Thank you.
You're welcome.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
It's a very small office with swamped staff. Just "getting it" is key. No training mechanism in place. A catch .22, to be sure, but was your environment like that?

The top manager did not indicate why I was being reassigned in the first place. A new, higher-level (between my level and mid-level management) person started on staff shortly after that meeting that reports exclusively to manager A. I was simply told that I would be working for manager B from there on out, and there has never been any explanation of why I was not reassigned back to manager A.

Here's what I think happened to you. Top manager thought Manager A might not return from medical leave (maternity leave?) and hired you to be trained as backup replacement for Manager A should Manager A not return from medical leave. Then top manager reevaluated decision and decided they needed to hire someone higher level than you as the backup.

I'm afraid if Manager A's and Manager B's departments have different functions, you'll be stuck doing unchallenging work assignment or will eventually be phased out due to lack of work. You probably don't have the expertise required of Manager B's work.

I do not agree with others that you should quit. I think you and the employer can have a gracious parting should you end up laid off. You definitely should be seeking opportunities outside the company under the radar. You can explain your current employment situation as an unforeseen reorganization which will be perfectly understandable to a future employer given that small companies are known for this.

In the upcoming interviews, keep it all business. Do not go down the path of "my manager and I don't get along" or you will seem like a big baby not the professional that you are.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 04-11-2016 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-11-2016, 01:14 PM

134 posts, read 103,116 times
Yes, my small office was "swamped". Everyone was brand new, even the mgr. was pretty new. There was never a time to breathe and the mgr never had time for anyone and towards the end, esp me! Long story made short = This mgr began keeping tasks and meetings from me and reassigning my job duties to others while throwing me bits and pieces. Excluded me from key travel (just me). I don't know why this mgr didn't like me. Right after I started they accused me of sabotaging a " great idea" they had because there was no way the CEO or anybody couldn't like it, because it was so great! Mgr. insisted it must have been that I purposely didn't present this idea well to the CEO because I didn't like it. WTH? What a looney tune! I had just started!

I was close to the same age with similar professional experience as this mgr. the other team members were at least 20 years younger. I think that played a role, esp considered this happened to 2 people before me (they were at the same age professional level as this mgr too). Perhaps this mgr. knew that WE (older, more experienced employees) KNEW they were fraud and the rest of the team was too young to know what an awful manager they were? So, they kept the young, inexperienced ones. I don't know. Just so glad I made an escape. Truly the worst job experience of my career!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 PM

And now boss is unhappy with me for not completing work that she didn't specifically say to complete. To get started on, yes, but not complete at the present time since a deadline is not defined.

I kept my composure, but I sure want to just walk out.

FYI, I'm typing this on my iPhone while on a break.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 04-12-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

I kept my composure, but I sure want to just walk out.

Don't quit. It's now obvious that's what they want you to do. Small disorganized company that doesn't want to pay unemployment insurance. Don't try anymore to bend over backwards to please this manager, but don't let them see you sweat either. Just spend your energies looking for something better while you have a paycheck coming in.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Don't quit. It's now obvious that's what they want you to do. Small disorganized company that doesn't want to pay unemployment insurance. Don't try anymore to bend over backwards to please this manager, but don't let them see you sweat either. Just spend your energies looking for something better while you have a paycheck coming in.
I have three interviews next week around Los Angeles--a city I love. Believe me, I'm looking forward to those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment