Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:17 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times

Advertisements

Rooting for you OP. I can relate on multiple levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
And now boss is unhappy with me for not completing work that she didn't specifically say to complete. To get started on, yes, but not complete at the present time since a deadline is not defined.

How can you not understand that "getting started" on a job also means "...until it's completed"? You don't need a deadline. You do the work at your best ability and as fast as possible until it's done.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:57 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I have three interviews next week around Los Angeles--a city I love. Believe me, I'm looking forward to those.
Update: I'm moving back to L.A. Got a job offer.

I will have been at my current employer for only 7-7.5 months by the time I leave. Too bad, I had high hopes for it going in.

This time, I'm not going to my new job with such high hopes, and I will be taking it just one day at a time.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 PM

Okay, L.A. took a little longer to materialize, but it's coming together. I resigned, gave two weeks notice yesterday.

Here's what has happened since yesterday:

- Backtrack to Monday: I've been working on a cool team project for about a month. No negative feedback. I've been productive, a happenin' guy even. Things are looking 110% better, and I'm not even getting any sort of negativity about the quality of my work. My teammates love my contributions in particular. But...the boss calls me into her office and threatens to fire me for lack of initiative and productivity. Go figure.

- Then to yesterday afternoon: Neither my boss nor her boss were in the office in the afternoon, when I composed the resignation. While addressing the resignation with a supervisor is typical and preferred protocol, I had to go to the next best thing: HR. I gave my letter to HR in person then scanned and emailed a copy to the supervisors.

- Yesterday evening: No response whatsoever from the supervisors.

- This morning: Direct supervisor continues to meet directly with her other staff, and she makes no mention to me of my letter. Period. Furthermore...Email deactivated. Network/computer drive for work deactivated. Timesheet login deactivated. Pay stub login deactivated. Voicemail deactivated. Computer access altogether deactivated.

- Around Noon: I managed to get IT (an outside agency to which the company contracted) to reactivate the computer access and email.

- Mid-afternoon: Resignation pushed from two weeks to immediately. Supervisors finally talk to me with their best face forward and say, "Good luck!" (And, I'm thinking, "whatever" at this point.)

I say (in my mind, of course) good riddance.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-10-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 PM

Update to this thread, one year later:

I know that I said, in post #7, that I didn't think that employer was sociopathic. Boy, was I wrong. Three other people, all of whom I consider to be brighter bulbs than I am, left. One woman left two weeks after I did, and she worked for the same miserable boss who gave me hell. Two men left almost back to back about two months ago, also having worked for that same miserable boss, as well as the executive director who has proven to have a temper problem; those men left with immediate notice, and with other jobs ready to go to immediately.

As for my first manager, the one for whom I worked for the first two weeks of the job, her last day was the same day as mine.

Since it's a tiny company, this all means their turnover (resignations and retirements) in 15 months has been 50%.

I don't regret my decision to bail. Unfortunately, my job in L.A. has turned out to be a real s**tshow with some miserable and manipulative management, but it has also been far more beneficial for me at this still-entry phase of my career.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-15-2017 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Glad you updated the thread. Good luck finding another better job :-)

Old 06-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Glad you updated the thread. Good luck finding another better job :-)
Thank you. I'll actually be taking advantage of some working holiday visas in Australia and New Zealand, and exploring those nations while also trying to find some work. The work will finance my travels, or become something more as far a career move perhaps... Either way, it's worth a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment