Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:27 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times

Advertisements

So at work yesterday, one worker came to work and then admitted they had "Pink Eye" and man it was like someone announced that they had the plague....

So, they left and they may return later, but I was curious has anyone had someone who came in, spread the contagion (Whatever they had) and then later was found out they had brought it in?

I remember when one worker had the flu and came to work...25% of the group was out for 3 days. I ducked that bullet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 PM

185 posts, read 134,120 times
I had a work situation where 3 people came to work with different respiratory infections. One by one everyone in the surrounding cubicles started getting ill. After we were informed that one person was diagnosed with pneumonia, I overheard the original 3 laughing and joking amongst themselves about their culpability and speculating who would be next.

After several incidents where people came in sick, our supervisor made it very clear that we have sick leave and it needs to be used even if it is just a cold.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:17 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,129 times
I used to work with one. She was always coming to work sick, coughing all over everything. She was so vile and evil she said she would offer to get our manager lunch, then cough all over it so the manager could get sick and give it to her husband and kids. Disgusting. Then, she had a nerve to ask me if I wanted her to pick up lunch for me. LOL

Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 AM

973 posts, read 914,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I used to work with one. She was always coming to work sick, coughing all over everything. She was so vile and evil she said she would offer to get our manager lunch, then cough all over it so the manager could get sick and give it to her husband and kids. Disgusting. Then, she had a nerve to ask me if I wanted her to pick up lunch for me. LOL
She'll get what's coming, and deservedly so. Disgusting woman.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:56 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
There are a lot of times when someone is contagious enough they shouldn't be in the office, but are not so laid up they can't work. If possible, the employer ought to let them work from home. Many places don't give sick time or not enough of it, so people come in, try toughing it out, then get others sick in the process.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,983 times
My husband only gets 3 sick days a year.

That is not enough days in my opinion.

So that could be why employees come to work sick.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 AM

223 posts, read 255,869 times
I was auditing books for MTA/Paratransit division. Someone had an "allergic reaction" and decided to use the desk I was assigned to for the duration of the audit. Not too long after I developed a painful rash from ears to neck that formed blisters. Guess who contracted shingles at 24? If that's not enough. I'm one of the rare ones who has recurring shingles so I have an outbreak 2-3 times a year. The pain is tolerable but when I have an outbreak I lose hearing in right ear until complete healing. I'm 28 now with severe hearing loss and I am fitting for hearing-aids so I dread future outbreaks as I am limited to just reading lips during that time.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 AM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times
I had a doctor that once told me that a person could be contagious even before they realize it.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
I work a relatively low wage job. People often have to come to work sick because a callout could mean not making rent that month, or having your hours cut.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,875 times
It happens all the time. We only get five sick days. I had to use all five for surgery earlier this year. I don't work in an industry where working from home is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment