Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:01 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,373,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The law is useless because it is maintaining a class of employees (including myself if I was working in NYC) who are not even being paid a living wage, based on the local cost of living, but are still expected to work 24/7/365 without being paid for overtime. No exempt employees are paid less than $47,476 here.

It is perfectly legal in my field to work so many hours that our hourly pay is below minimum wage. We make more than $47,476, so the new law doesn't help us.

But people like myself can still be legally worked to death.

What bugs me the most is that now politicians will take credit for supporting the middle class, when $47,476 is not even close to a middle class salary in the NYC area.
It probably doesn't go far enough but it's better than not having the law at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 10:07 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,058,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It probably doesn't go far enough but it's better than not having the law at all.
No, the law is completely useless, since, at least where I live, no salaried exempt employees make less than $47,476. So the law allows politicians to make a big deal about how they helped the middle class, even though they did absolutely nothing for us (people on the Long Island board don't even consider me to be middle class), and people will be stupid enough to keep voting for them.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:11 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,712,374 times
Quote:
No, the law is completely useless, since, at least where I live, no salaried exempt employees make less than $47,476. So the law allows politicians to make a big deal about how they helped the middle class, even though they did absolutely nothing for us (people on the Long Island board don't even consider me to be middle class), and people will be stupid enough to keep voting for them.

Not true! Did you even click on the link in my OP? It shows approximately how many people will be affected in each state. And you have absolutely no way of knowing who is salaried and who is not.

It may be useless for you but not for millions of others out there.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Not true! Did you even click on the link in my OP? It shows approximately how many people will be affected in each state. And you have absolutely no way of knowing who is salaried and who is not.

It may be useless for you but not for millions of others out there.
Even if that link is telling the truth (doubtful), the law is still useless for the middle class.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Even if that link is telling the truth (doubtful), the law is still useless for the middle class.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Are you so self-centered that just because the new rule doesn't help you or those in your tiny area that it is therefore useless to the millions of people that will see either a reduction in working hours or increase in pay for those hours?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Are you so self-centered that just because the new rule doesn't help you or those in your tiny area that it is therefore useless to the millions of people that will see either a reduction in working hours or increase in pay for those hours?
Obviously

Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It's a hard cutoff at $47,476? So if you were making $47k, they can just bump you to $47,500 and no OT?
Technically, yes. But while employers tend to hold more leverage, there is only so much an employee will tolerate before pushing back. If you're making $47.5K are you going to work 60 hours/wk for $47.5K while a less experienced less capable co-worker making $40K works 60 hours and pulls in $70K?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:05 PM

4,337 posts, read 7,247,892 times
Quote:
Technically, yes. But while employers tend to hold more leverage, there is only so much an employee will tolerate before pushing back. If you're making $47.5K are you going to work 60 hours/wk for $47.5K while a less experienced less capable co-worker making $40K works 60 hours and pulls in $70K?
I haven't personally experienced any situations in white-collar environments, where hourly-paid employees are assigned that kind of overtime on continuous, or regular basis.

Salaried employees, on the other hand are more likely to report working those kind of hours. My expectation is that the currently salaried employees that fall below the new wage threshold, will in most cases be reclassified as hourly, and not be subject to that kind of overtime.

Any place I've been, required hourly employees to get supervisory or management approval to work overtime, up to some cutoff point. And the hours worked had to be verified by some means, be it a time clock, electronic tracking, or just visible presence in the workplace during that time. Salaried employees were much less subject to verification of time worked, especially work after scheduled hours.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Why are you defending a law that doesn't take into account the cost of living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I haven't personally experienced any situations in white-collar environments, where hourly-paid employees are assigned that kind of overtime on continuous, or regular basis.

Salaried employees, on the other hand are more likely to report working those kind of hours. My expectation is that the currently salaried employees that fall below the new wage threshold, will in most cases be reclassified as hourly, and not be subject to that kind of overtime.
And you think that's a good thing??

I find it interesting that the people on this forum act as if I am rich. But the people on the Long Island forum think that I am so poor I won't be able to remain on Long Island once I have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment