Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 12:42 PM

83 posts, read 64,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
A good work/life balance doesn't mean you never have to go in early or work late. It simply means that it isn't an every day occurrence. OP I'm seriously trying to help you here..... you have got to be able to be flexible even if sometimes it is inconvenient for you. Sometimes the job needs to be done when it needs to be done to meet a deadline. The company may not be able to go back to their customer and say that they are missing the deadline because their employees refused to work a little early or late. That's an unrealistic expectation.
Where are you coming up with that? I never said never. I just said I can't this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,682,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecauseISaidSo View Post
Where are you coming up with that? I never said never. I just said I can't this week.

And as advised previously, you are (or were whatever the case may be) a NEW employee in a probationary period. You have to make accommodations... ESPECIALLY during the probationary period while the company gets comfortable with whether or not you can perform your job sufficiently enough to keep you.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,687,639 times
Thumbs down Flexible is not synonymous with spontaneous. Minimal advance notice of schedule changes isn't flexibility, it's abuse

Flexible is not synonymous with spontaneous.

I am perfectly fine with flexible work hours, where my schedule next week might not be the same as my schedule this week -- but my work schedule is rarely spontaneous, I nearly always know well in advance (days, weeks) what my schedule will be.

When changes in your schedule aren't provided in advance, that's not flexible, that's abusive.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,999,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I feel the same way.
In the interview make sure you tell them how important work life balance is to you.
And make sure your always paid hourly.
I don't think theres nothing wrong with having a life outside of work.

If an employer is reasonable they don't want to bug you with overtime but if it's occasional especially in private sector work an hour or two but push back if they expect it to be the norm.
Well, there's one way to make sure you don't get the job.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,285,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

I am perfectly fine with flexible work hours, where my schedule next week might not be the same as my schedule this week -- but my work schedule is rarely spontaneous, I nearly always know well in advance (days, weeks) what my schedule will be.

When changes in your schedule aren't provided in advance, that's not flexible, that's abusive.
You do realize that most jobs are not like this, right?

Things do come up last minute that need to be completed immediately.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Thank you.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:56 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert
A good work/life balance doesn't mean you never have to go in early or work late. It simply means that it isn't an every day occurrence. OP I'm seriously trying to help you here..... you have got to be able to be flexible even if sometimes it is inconvenient for you. Sometimes the job needs to be done when it needs to be done to meet a deadline. The company may not be able to go back to their customer and say that they are missing the deadline because their employees refused to work a little early or late. That's an unrealistic expectation.

Next week there is an informal meeting going on where they are introducing new people and having a few speeches with refreshments. It's going on partially during work hours and a few hours after work. Wewere told staying past 430 was "optional". That evening I'm scheduled to have a small medical procedure done at 6pm. This isn't something I can reschedule and I let my manager know I would not be able to stay beyond 4:30 and of course she didn't like that. There were also 3 days one week she wanted me to come in early and I told her I wouldn't be able to as I carpool and drop my husband at work each morning. That with the commute doesn't make it possible. I feel that each week she is getting more and more pushy. I do my job and my attendance is great. I have had bosses before that take advantage and got very pushy - been there, done that. My personal time is my personal time. I know the girl before me was very young and right out of college so I can't help but wonder if they expect me to be like her.

Did she ask you to alter your schedule for one week or did these requests happen on two different occasions?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:56 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
Quote:

That's not abuse. Things come up at the last minute. People die and they have to be covered until a replacement is found. Last minute call that there was a death in the family, would you want notice for that?
Accident on the way to work, emergency surgery, victim of crime, vendor problems, the list is endless.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:57 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,348,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Well, there's one way to make sure you don't get the job.
Theres one way to find about how the companies culture.
Whats wrong with askin about work life balance in the interview?
If they make it a big issue then theres your answers.
You don't want the job for that company anyways.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert

Next week there is an informal meeting going on where they are introducing new people and having a few speeches with refreshments. It's going on partially during work hours and a few hours after work. Wewere told staying past 430 was "optional". That evening I'm scheduled to have a small medical procedure done at 6pm. This isn't something I can reschedule and I let my manager know I would not be able to stay beyond 4:30 and of course she didn't like that. There were also 3 days one week she wanted me to come in early and I told her I wouldn't be able to as I carpool and drop my husband at work each morning. That with the commute doesn't make it possible. I feel that each week she is getting more and more pushy. I do my job and my attendance is great. I have had bosses before that take advantage and got very pushy - been there, done that. My personal time is my personal time. I know the girl before me was very young and right out of college so I can't help but wonder if they expect me to be like her.

Did she ask you to alter your schedule for one week or did these requests happen on two different occasions?
Same week. I have had this dr apt for 5 months and if I reschedule again I will have to wait another 4 months. Sorry but getting a suspicious mole removed is more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment